Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

scott crusade - 179 or 189?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i'm looking seriously into a pair of scott crusades and was told by a chap in ellis brigham that i would need the 189's. That was a couple of months ago and now the 189's are sold out...everywhere! I'm 6ft 2, 14.5 stone-ish, spend about 50/50 on and off piste and ski pretty fast aggressively. Can i get away with the 179's???
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't skied the crusade but use the mission quite a bit. I think you woud be fine on piste with the 179s but that you would likely get tip dive issues off piste (which is what you're really buying a ski like that for). TP has them in a 189. Sorry about the exchange rate.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_320_323&products_id=4572
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for the link gorilla, i emailed them this morning and they had just sold their last pairs and only have the 169 left! Arrghhh!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
weirdonorskie, 189's ..IMO
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks JT

i currently ski a pair of 188cm volkl
g4's from 02/03 season which i find great off piste and for long long fast turns on piste. When it comes to moguls and shorter turns they are hard work and i find them too long. My concern is will the 189 crusades feel too long or will the TT make them ski much shorter? The only test i managed were the 179's at milton keynes, but that don't really count!

I have managed to find somewhere that stocks both lengths, but now the dilemma! Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
weirdonorskie, You'll probably find the 179 too soft for your weight. It's not just the length, it's the stiffness. The shorter lengths are softer to suit lighter skiers. As you are 14.5 stone and ski fast and aggressively, that says 189 to me. As for moguls and short radius turns, skis like this are not going to be in their element there so I wouldn't bother about that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
weirdonorskie,

My feelings about TT..and I do use them..is that the TT will engage the snow off-piste so that lenght will apply and be useful. On piste, you can lose 5cms on the tail as that will not connect with the snow, IMV...so they will ski shorter which might be useful to you in moguls...but..the downside to the shortness on-piste is that you lose the stability in straight lines and at pretty fast speeds...........

This has caught me out once or twice and it is a bit discerning to stack at speed when you really didn't do anything to deserve it....IMO Laughing

IMV/IMO, that is why you can afford to go slightly longer than you would normally with TT...

In my situation I could do with another 5cms or so on my 183 TT ski ..it may, of course, be user error but I think it unlikely as I really don't do that sort of fall..it may also be a question of getting used to this 'quirk'...as I have not skied them 2 weeks yet

I would think you would get this 'unstable' element on-piste in 179, for sure, at high speeds

For this reason alone, I really wouldn't go looking for TT's next time....tho wouldn't completely rule them out either.....

they can be a pain on gondola racks as well...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster, JT,

Thanks for your opinions. I guess in the ideal world i would have two pairs...one for powder days and one to run around everywhere. Going by recent years in europe we never seem to be fortunate enough to get a load of the former, so an all round ski is probably what i am looking for.

I've heard a lot of rave reviews about the crusades, but is there another ski which you would recommend as an alternative?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
weirdonorskie, Head Monster 82s are good all round skis. Very strong on piste and can handle powder days and all sorts of less favourable off-piste conditions. You'd want these in 183 length.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ok, so i've taken on board your comments and found a pair of the 189's but now need some bindings...

They have the salamon zth10 or the marker griffin at £125 & £139 respectively. Is that a reasonable amount to pay?

How much do bindings affect a skis performance? Is it worth spending the extra money?

I've been skiing for about 25 years, but never been very technically minded with regards to ski equipment (as you may have guessed) so please forgive my ignorance! Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
weirdonorskie, I've got Marker Griffons on my all mountain skis and they work just fine. You can spend a lot more if you like, but I'm not convinced of any genuine benefit (unless you intend to go touring in the back country)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
weirdonorskie, the Sallie Z10 is waaay inferior to the Griffin. Go Griffin.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi I've skied both the 189 and the 179. I'm 6ft and over 14.5 stone and I'm used to skiing world cup racing skis and bespoke powder skis. The 179 are better balanced and one of the best skis I've ever skied. The 189 are good but not in the same league. I purchased the 179 and am thrilled.I have them with Marker freeski/touring bindings. A friend also similar weight has the 179's and skis 20 days plus a year off piste including heli skiing and was the inspiration for me trying the skis. They are not great on icy moguls at speed and loose it at very high speeds or hard pistes. To clarify that comment I was following a friend who was going flat out on a pair of hand made genuine world cup GS racing skis. So that was an in extreme circumstances. Also the hat at the front of the skis is amazing in giving directional stability when skiing broken crud at the end of the season. Overall a fabulous ski but 189 isn't the finely tuned ski that the 179 is.I can only believe that the 179 was the length for the testing and therefore had the most development. You can ski the 179 as a top rated race ski on the piste and achieve nearly 95% of the feel in most conditions. Its incredible !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jsy3, Welcome to snowheads!

weirdonorskie has probably bought the skis already, 'cos this thread is 3 years old
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy