Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Physical Condition for ski/board

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a physical condition training made for the preparation of the ski season, it is a bit late but here it goes anyway. You will need a partner to help you with it:

http://www.gymarchive.com/public/show_training.php?training=146&language=en

Any comments/improvements on the training are welcome
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gessuss, welcome to snowheads, better late than never.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh dear, plyometrics.

Not for the unfit; it involves fast asymetric movements. Even the fit have an injury risk with plyometrics.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome, gessuss, I will stay with Jogging, Sit ups, Rowing and Biking. The regime seems difficult to me, however no pain no gain!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gessuss, welcome to snowheads!

Much of your workout concentrates on core stability, which is necessary for skiing, so those bits are good. The ones focusing on upper body strength aren't really necessary for skiing. Most recreational skiiers spend far more time on their feet than they ever will lugging around their skis, so ideally you want instead to get a high proportion of leg strengthening exercises (quads, hamstrings, calves).

As a matter of interest, who prepared the workout? Was it designed for skiing? A lot of it looks more like the training I do for rowing, a sport which DOES involve a lot of the upper body!

I agree with john wells - plyometrics need to be performed carefully with good form, otherwise even fit folk can easily injure themselves doing it. But taken carefully, with good form, and without rushing it, even unfit slobs can have a go.

But on top of your workout you're still going to need add a minimum of 3x30min per week cardiovascular training - running/cycling/rowing/stepping etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I really can't understand all the focus some people put on strength and fitness for skiing. Downhill only skiing (ski touring/ski mountaineering is different obviously) really doesn't require much of either - if you can jog 2 miles on the flat in 20mins or whatever, you're definitely fit enough for skiing - if you get seriously out of breath or 2nd day leg aches from downhill skiing then you should worry more about improving your technique than your fitness.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you over estimate people Plake...... I know alot of people who would need to stop multiple times during 2 mile/20min run....

ad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quads, hamstrings, hip abductors. That should do it
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

if you can jog 2 miles on the flat in 20mins or whatever, you're definitely fit enough for skiing

Are you kidding!!!??? So that's about 15-20% (I reckon) of adult society under 50 in UK. You're probably right, though, that if you can do that you'll be fine running down the pistes for 5 or 6 days. Fortunately I fall into the 15-20%, but only because I'm naturally quite light, play football once a week (to no great standard), am generally stubborn and have reasonably good stamina. My wife (who used to sprint for her school team) would struggle to run more than 1/4 mile without falling over.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda wrote:
gessuss, welcome to snowheads!

Much of your workout concentrates on core stability, which is necessary for skiing, so those bits are good. The ones focusing on upper body strength aren't really necessary for skiing. Most recreational skiiers spend far more time on their feet than they ever will lugging around their skis, so ideally you want instead to get a high proportion of leg strengthening exercises (quads, hamstrings, calves).

As a matter of interest, who prepared the workout? Was it designed for skiing? A lot of it looks more like the training I do for rowing, a sport which DOES involve a lot of the upper body!

I agree with john wells - plyometrics need to be performed carefully with good form, otherwise even fit folk can easily injure themselves doing it. But taken carefully, with good form, and without rushing it, even unfit slobs can have a go.

But on top of your workout you're still going to need add a minimum of 3x30min per week cardiovascular training - running/cycling/rowing/stepping etc.

You are right about the upper workout, I put it because it helps me to keep the muscular tone, and you are right again with the cardio, I do 40 mins running twice a week Smile

It wasn't my intention to put a full programme, I prefer to leave it in hands of professional trainers. I think it is irresponsible to put a general training programme that anybody can try to use. Serious training has to be taylored for the skier using physical tests, blood analysis, etc.

About the plyometrics, well, I can't see them as being any riskier than exercises with medium/high weights.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gessuss, quite a response you got there.

BTW, except for the very VERY recreational skiers who allow gravity to shuss them down gentle blue runs from one mountain bar to another, Plake's talking absolute bollox.

Jogging for short distances of only 2miles will make you better at jogging short distances. It will have a minimal effect on your cardiovascular ability on the slopes (i.e. your puff), but actually does very little to improve the fitness required for skiing. Jogging for skiing is ok as far as it goes but it needs to go further than 2miles, and it needs to include speedwork. This is because skiing is, typically, an anerobic activity (short high speed bursts where the body is operating without oxygen, followed by a period of rest, repeat as necessary), while jogging is aerobic (the opposite).

For the majority of us who like to bash around the pistes and enjoy a bit of a challenge, some reasonably serious fitness is necessary. For starters the balance necessary for skiing relies in the main on your core strength. Then there's the up & down workout your calves, hamstrings, and thighs get, and so it's important that they're strong enough to withstand the constant pressure changes.

Which is why "all the focus some people put on strength and fitness for skiing".
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gessuss, plyometrics require fast movements. If you strength train with weights you should be moving the weights slowly as this is more effective and safer. The difference is speed of movement and it is the fast movements which are most likely to cause injury. With slow movements you can stop as soon as a problem arises which enables you to avoid the injury. With fast movements the injury is done before you can stop.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Manda, you are entitled to disagree with me, as anyone is of course, but I think your comment about "total bollox" probably reflects the fact that according to your Skier Profile you've only done about 4wks skiing, so a lot of the time you may be on terrain that is tough for you. In this case fitness will help, but it's just patching over lack of technique and relaxation. I'm sure you will agree with me in a few years time....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plake, now that comment was seriously condescending. Experienced skier, intermediate or relative beginner the problem is not running out of puff. Your jogging two miles is an aerobic activity and has little relevance to downhill skiing. If any style of fitness is required it is muscle strength and muscle endurance. Of course, for a skier who has excellent technique and does not wish to push, hardly any level of fitness of any kind is required.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy