Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a good ski school in scotland? Going with a friend - both pretty much beginners - 1st 2 weeks of march? Also want to cram in some walking of anyone has ideas for that too...

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Emmiloux, I don't think there's much in the way of choices any more - one per mountain these days I reckon. For beginners The Lecht is the best place, followed by Glenshee and then Cairngorm. Nevis and Glencoe are more interesting to more experienced skiers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't rule out Nevis Range as a place to learn- the green runs are right by the gondola station / resturant (low down and sheltered) plus there is a chairlift serving blue runs (great for giving the legs a rest). Agree that the Lecht is best for absoult beginners though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Emmiloux, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the main one for Cairngorm, really good

http://www.theskischool.co.uk/

There are a few other places still doing (in Cairngorm area) it but as said above not as many as once was.

Cairngorms and surrounds great for walking from 100's of miles of caledonian forest trails to full on mountaineering/ice climbing etc. around the plateau

Enjoy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, thanks for all the tips - Will take your advice! Looking forward to exploring the Cairngorms on foot too, thanks Barry.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi We're off to the Cairngorms Monday for 5 days and the snow looks great - hopefully it will stay.
We haven't been skiing in Scotland before so looking for any general advice. We are staying at Aviemore Highland Resort ( I know it's got mixed reviews but for £19.99 a night as long as it's clean I don't mind)
We need to hire ski boots/ski's etc can anyone advise the best place?
We've noticed on the Cairgorms website that the car park has had to close due to numbers a couple of times. Is there anywhere else to park if this happens? Or do we just need to get there super early?
On that note should we be booking passes, equipment in advance? or will we be ok waiting on the weather?
Lunch on the mountain or I notice they also do Pack lunches?
Sorry for all the questions, looking for a little inside knowledge so we can hit the slopes running (skiing) Oh, last thing any restaurant recommendations in Aviemore? Cheers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Joto, you should be ok as you'll not be there at the weekend. However its worth knowing that it'll be half term here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, proq99 it's half term here (north wales) as well which is why I thought it could be busy. I notice the ski school at Cairgorm is already fully booked Mon to Wed.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
barry, II, Neither has any flat areas for run out and straight running to get you balance etc. Beginners have to do snowplough straight away which is a long way from ideal.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Joto wrote:
Hi We're off to the Cairngorms Monday for 5 days and the snow looks great - hopefully it will stay.
We haven't been skiing in Scotland before so looking for any general advice. We are staying at Aviemore Highland Resort ( I know it's got mixed reviews but for £19.99 a night as long as it's clean I don't mind)
We need to hire ski boots/ski's etc can anyone advise the best place?
We've noticed on the Cairgorms website that the car park has had to close due to numbers a couple of times. Is there anywhere else to park if this happens? Or do we just need to get there super early?
On that note should we be booking passes, equipment in advance? or will we be ok waiting on the weather?
Lunch on the mountain or I notice they also do Pack lunches?
Sorry for all the questions, looking for a little inside knowledge so we can hit the slopes running (skiing) Oh, last thing any restaurant recommendations in Aviemore? Cheers

get there early, tows will be on from around 8am! Ski hire on the hill sells out early too, a few places in the village do it - the mountain shops on main street plus one up at Myrtlefield "Shopping Centre" - it's accross from Winking Owl Pub. You can buy your passes in advance there too. Weather looks reasonable so you might be ok to take a punt on a package for hire/tickets (3 day / 5 day or whatever)

Some good restaurants around, Cairngorm Hotel (good pub too), Old Bridge Inn (good pub too), Roos Leap does great burgers, The small Indian (Royal Tandoori) at the south end of village is great (NOT the one by the train station). La Taverna by the roundabout at the start of the ski road (south edge of village) is great, authentic Italian place - do a good pizza and pasta buffet (mmmm buffet, my favourite food!), but their a la carte is even nicer. Other good pubs with decent food are Mambos, Winking Owl, Skiing-Doo. For a treat check out the Glasshouse restaurant in Grantown (12-ish miles up the road). The Woodshed in the grounds of the Hilton on the ski road is a good spot for a pint after coming off the hill too.

Pick yourself up a few bottles of Sheepshaggers Gold from the Cairngorm Brewery before you head back an' all!
Enjoy!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
barry, II, Neither has any flat areas for run out and straight running to get you balance etc. Beginners have to do snowplough straight away which is a long way from ideal.

snow all over the shop on Cairngorm, plenty of spots for absolute beginners
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:

"road" to quad chair is where they do that Wink not marked as a "run" on the piste map becuse it is almost flat....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Barry for the info. Looks like we have got a nice choice of restaurants and with the promise of some good skiing I can't wait, just need to dig out those thermals.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
II, Almoist flat is not flat though. My advice was given to beginners, not a criticism of Nevis and Cairngorm - after all I worked 7 years on Cairngorm and have won races at Nevis. Ideally for beginners you want a flat area where they don't have to stop themselves - they slide to a gentle halt because of the terrain. The Lecht and AFAIUI Glenshee have these, and are therefore better for beginners. Just because many ski teachers don't bother with straight running doesn't mean they shouldn't! Shocked Look at how unbalanced beginner classes are when they have to snowplough almost straight away, then look at beginner classes that have spent and hour straight running and getting comfortable with their balance on the skis ... no contest .... which group do you think will go on to be better skiers? Progress more quickly after the first couple of day???
ski holidays
learnt to ski in cairngorm feb 1983
it was bloody horrible, cold wet and no magic carpet, lots of walking sideways up hill for first 2 days
then on the 4th day road to slopes shut.
just managed to get basics in the 5 days there, lots of apres ski in avimore centre (is it still there or have they knocked it down)
ski holidays
The Aviemore centre is long gone. I normally end up at Glenmore Lodge if staying up there.
ski holidays
Emmiloux, Joto, how did you both get on? s

now coming this week (started today), so season not done yet by a long chalk Very Happy
snow report
barry wrote:
Emmiloux, Joto, how did you both get on?

snow coming this week (started today), so season not done yet by a long chalk Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy