Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve?

Poster: A snowHead
Any clues?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
France i think Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good area for intermediates, chic (i.e. can be expensive)
Convenient
Good until the end of March, snow can melt away thereafter
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some of the most expensive restaurants in France. Well-groomed slopes. Well-groomed clientele. Some of the most expensive underwear shops you'll see anywhere.

What, exactly, do you want to know?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll be there in March.

Just trying to lower the tone of the place y'know.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Busy, it will be next week when I'm there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, during February it is busy--the French school holidays until early March. I've been going there a few years now and have found creperies and charcuteries which are not expensive at all--nor do you have to buy your underwear there! rolling eyes (But end of season you can pick up some quality bargain priced sportswear--jumpers, gilets etc)
The slopes are extensive and varied from blues to blacks -- enough for all levels--- and you can take a day's trip to the Valee Blanche (with a guide) if you feel energetic enough and weather conditions are suitable.
I find the locals very friendly-- and as it's not just a ski resort but a proper village, it's a place for non-skiing friends and partners to enjoy walks and mountain restaurants to meet up in. Most seasons I've been there around Easter, and there is good snow on most slopes until end of April.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stopped there once in April on the way back to Paris from Verbier. It was raining in the village and there was no one around. We took a chance and bought a lift pass . By 1130 there was a foot of fresh snow and by 1pm 2 foot with virtually no one around. We left fresh tracks everywhere and it will be remembered as a great day forever Very Happy
easy acces to lots of other resorts too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megeve is in a skiing Domain known as Evasion.

It is fully linked with St Niclolas, St Gervais and Rochebrune but the ski pass entitle access of Combloux which is not linked. The site seems to include Les Contamines which was separated when I skied them.

Megeve itself is a classic French village and could be expensive to stay. Elsewhere say staying in St Gervais is a different story.

Used to go there regularly. One day I was skiing there and it rained. Next day many runs disappeared and I had to ski on water ponds. Thus I drove to ski in 3-Vallees and started my "trying everywhere" adventure ever since.

Haven't got back since but the domain is low altitude, big enough for everyone, has some challenging runs and decent infrastructure. It is within an easy distance from Geneva but doesn't make similar head lines like Flaine (Grand Massif) or Les Gets/Avoriaz (Porte du Soleil) or Chamonix. It is about slightly nearer from Geneva than Chamonix and is on the same road for 95% of the way.

Megeve is on the busy trunk route between Chamonix and Albertville surrounding by population so the snow is inferior to Grand Massif and French side Porte du Soleil which are at some distance from the population.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Haven't got back since but the domain is low altitude, big enough for everyone, has some challenging runs and decent infrastructure. It is within an easy distance from Geneva but doesn't make similar head lines like Flaine (Grand Massif) or Les Gets/Avoriaz (Porte du Soleil) or Chamonix. It is about slightly nearer from Geneva than Chamonix and is on the same road for 95% of the way.

Megeve is on the busy trunk route between Chamonix and Albertville surrounding by population so the snow is inferior to Grand Massif and French side Porte du Soleil which are at some distance from the population.

Hmm. I think Megeve is infinitely superior to Les Gets (probably partly because it's not as Brit-infested) though obviously if you add the whole of the PdS the latter is a lot bigger. It just depends what you're looking for - which was far from obvious initially from the OP (and indeed still is!). If the skiing at Megeve is poor (too warm, too wet) much of the PdS will be no better.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, let people think Megeve is overpriced, poor snow, not challenging enough, etc. The better it is for us who know......... Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dunk wrote:
pam w, let people think Megeve is overpriced, poor snow, not challenging enough, etc. The better it is for us who know......... Very Happy

Seconded! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski kimberley wrote:
Stopped there once in April on the way back to Paris from Verbier. It was raining in the village and there was no one around. We took a chance and bought a lift pass . By 1130 there was a foot of fresh snow and by 1pm 2 foot with virtually no one around. We left fresh tracks everywhere and it will be remembered as a great day forever Very Happy
easy acces to lots of other resorts too.

In the days before kids we used to stay near annecy and drive up to different resorts based on weather/conditions/whim. We found Megeve a good place to go if the weather was less than perfect as the populace tended not to bother if things weren't 'just so'. If we went there on a day that started out looking a bit crappy but then turned out nice we'd hit the jackpot - a lovely place, with some good skiing and nobody about.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have gone to Megeve from all the access points. The high price is only if you stay in the Megeve village. I believe places like St Gervais is no where near as expensive as Megeve. Just like Cervinia and Zermatt why not stay in the Italian side, enjoy the cheap food/accommodation and take the lift to the expensive Swiss side when you want to ski the Zermatt.

If Megeve isn't challenging enough that may be because it could be a paradise for the beginners and early immediates because with a 300km piste that is Tignes and Val'D combined! or half of the entire 3 Vallees. It does have many nice long green/blue runs and some of them lead to the village.

I would have thought Mount Joly has some serious black that would not put Megeve in the "not challenging eough" category.

When it come to poor snow I have no defence for it because it is difficult to ski to the bottom of the village which lies on a trunk road. Many skiing resorts manage good skiing by transporting the clients by cable cars or godolas to the middle of the mountain. Megeve peaks at 2500m so it has its limit. It is as good as anywhere else in France when there is snow.

Nearby places like Flaine, Les Gets and Avoriaz need about 45 minutes drive into the mountains after leaving the main road and naturally they have a better snow condition.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks to all of you for your contributions

The underwear debate was unexpected but all in all I think it may well be worth a punt for a family with young kids and a wife who likes cruising greens. I mayl be looking for chocolate box Christams and this could fit the bill although it may not do for a late easter.

Thanks all snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

I mayl be looking for chocolate box Christams

Now, if you'd set at the outset you were looking for a chocolate box Christmas I would have said that resort-level snow in Megeve at Christmas is FAR from guaranteed. In fact, statistically it is probably a little unusual. As saikee says, the village is down at valley level. For choc-box Christmas there are probably more reliable bets in Austria and Switzerland. The underwear point was just to emphasise that expensive shopping is one of the key aspects of Megeve. window-shopping (the only kind I ever do there wink ) is not everybody's idea of a good time. It's a sophisticated, urban, proper little town but not one where you would expect to ski back to your pretty little chalet (some people can, but they are mega-rich!)
ski holidays
Quote:

resort-level snow in Megeve at Christmas is FAR from guaranteed

But there will be snow up on the hill or within 30 minutes drive.

Snow in resort and choc-box at Xmas - Zermatt and where else?

Xmas or Easter can be OK in Megeve, even late. And, if Megeve itself is shot there are always resorts around to drive to.
ski holidays
We went to Megeve before Christmas a few years ago and had great snow, but we booked at the last minute and were there for the resort opening. Chocolate box Christmas - you could try Saas Fee, or my favourite, Lech.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy