Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from UK - Where to stop & shop on A40 Autoroute

Poster: A snowHead
Guys
We're driving from the UK to France and as we have boot space, plan to stop en-route to have a break & do our food shopping at the same time. We'll be on the A40 via Reims & Dijon heading to Morzine.
Any suggestions as to where to stop & shop would be appreciated (we are travelling overnight).
Cheers, Neil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
neilH, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Depends on your timing's, Beaune is a good place with a selection of hotels off but not too far from the Motorawy, as well as some nice restaurants and a supermarket. Or if stopping earlier Arras.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
neilH, If you're over on the Dijon side (far preferably to the Macon/Lyon A6) you'll be east of Beaune. Bourg en Bresse? Really, any town of any size will have big supermarket somewhere on the approach from the motorway, and they're always signed - easy to find.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Troyes is fine; Langres is good too, but not many hotels so book.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
neilH, are you planning to overnight, or just shop and stop for a while? And when are you going? If it's half term, you also need to factor in the traffic. And will it be Saturday? Generally supermarkets in France are closed Sundays, except within or very near the resorts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
neilH, All what they said. Regarding shopping, if you've had an overnight rest somewhere you could leave filling the boot until you get to Taninges (assuming you don't go the pretty way through Thonon). If you've driven through Cluses then turn LEFT at the T junction in Taninges (AWAY from Les Gets/Morzine) and there's a big supermarket (a Super U, I think) on the right after only a few hundred metres. If you've driven off motorway from Annemasse you'll see it on the left once you enter Taninges.

There are other supermarkets in/near Morzine but by the time you get close you'll want to concentrate on finding your accomodation, not mucking about with trolleys. Oh yeah, make sure you have a 1 € piece for the trolleys.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brilliant all - thanks.
FYI, we're driving straight through so will be in Morzine around lunch. Tangings Super U sounds ideal.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

we're driving straight through so will be in Morzine around lunch.

when are you going? If it's any of the next four Saturdays it'll be pretty busy and you'll need to plan for the inevitable delays
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pam, off next Friday evening 10pm, midnight Eurotunnel. Plan to reach Morzine by lunch on the Saturday to avoid (just) the flights into Geneva... From what I've found on Snowheads, should be there around 12 hours later (11am CET unless we stop for food). Sounds like getting through to Morzine asap may be best advice!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
neilH, good luck. Have you done that route before at half term? It will be very busy down on the A40 by early morning (many of those arriving will be French and driving, not flying). Have some food and drinks in the car as you will spend a bit of time in traffic jams, almost certainly. If you reach Morzine before 4 pm with your shopping you'll be doing very well. I don't want to sound discouraging, but it's as well to be forewarned. Fingers crossed that snow won't complicate things.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
neilH, if you do leave shopping until the end of the journey, large Carrefour in Cluses or Super U in Taninges as mentioned. Champion in St Jean d'Aulps is a good supermarket for shopping once in Morzine, weekdays best, gets very busy but is well stocked and not ridiculous prices.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, we may be going this way on Sat am (overnighting in Troyes) if snowy on Jura.
Quote:

It will be very busy down on the A40 by early morning

I wonder if the first bit won't be so bad (or am I just clutching at straws?) - remember listening to traffic reports last half-term about jams at Cluses. We would turn off to Geneva to pick up Swiss motorway around N of lake so maybe avoid some of the worst jams?? Am already resigned to arriving much later than planned (plan A was to leave Troyes at 8 and arrive in 4 valleys at 1-2 via Besançon) but wonder how much later.
neilH, we may see you on the A40 Smile in a jam.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Round the Swiss side of the lake is not sensible, very long way round. You could try round the French side of the lake (Evian).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with route via Cluses. I've been picked up a few times and all transfer drivers preferred avoiding Lake Geneva route. Thanks for warning re: queues - we may set off a few hours earlier! I'll think positive and hope!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beequin, thanks, interesting - hadn't considered that. It's certainly a little shorter (20 km?) but takes longer according to route planner. Have you done this trip? Am keen to learn from others experience Smile
snow conditions
To avoid the Cluses- Tangines route come of the Autoroute earlier just after peage and take the route that brings you into Tangines the other way.
snow conditions
AW, I have done the route (via Thonon, then south) when there was not too much snow on the ground and found it pretty good. It may not be as easy if snow is falling heavily as the major effort will be on keeping the main route from the A40 clear.

Not at all sure how the route planner comes up with similar times going round the swiss side of the lake?

Taking all into account Cluses may be your best bet, but you could leave the A40 at Annemasse and use the D roads via Taninges.

On Google Maps, the three alternatives (A40 to Cluses, via Thonon and via Taninges) come up with similar times from Annemasse to Morzine.

As to the A40 before Geneva, the problem is the sheer weight of traffic and no real alternative. Just hope the lorries are not struggling up the hills.
ski holidays
beequin, thanks - slight misunderstanding as I'm not going to Morzine, just interested in A40 as may be using it on way to 4 valleys! (i.e. Verbier area) Sorry for confusion Embarassed . Obviously Swiss side of lake would be silly as route to Morzine but via Thonon may also be good for Sion - have to research. May go to Avoriaz next year so all very useful info - thanks Smile
snow conditions
AW, Ah, all clear.
The route over past Chamonix to Switzerland is not too bad generally, but the Col de Martigny can be closed. Also, the toll booths on the A40 can lead to long delays, so the Swiss side should be clearer (but you need the vignette).
snow report
AW wrote:
pam w, we may be going this way on Sat am (overnighting in Troyes) if snowy on Jura.
Quote:

It will be very busy down on the A40 by early morning

I wonder if the first bit won't be so bad (or am I just clutching at straws?) - remember listening to traffic reports last half-term about jams at Cluses. We would turn off to Geneva to pick up Swiss motorway around N of lake so maybe avoid some of the worst jams?? Am already resigned to arriving much later than planned (plan A was to leave Troyes at 8 and arrive in 4 valleys at 1-2 via Besançon) but wonder how much later.
neilH, we may see you on the A40 Smile in a jam.

Take a look at the traffic predictions:

http://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/en/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=16
snow conditions
ringingmaster, thanks very much for that link. Eventually got to very useful detailed document in French which tells me he A40 is only "difficile" as opposed to "très" or "extrêmement" difficile. So could be worse. It also advised against travelling to Alps between 8h and 18h! At least the HGVs are banned that day.
ski holidays
Quote:

At least the HGVs are banned that day.

I don't know what the "banned in the Alps" signs mean, exactly, but presumably they're not banned from travelling along the A40 and towards the Mont Blanc tunnel?
snow report
According to the bison fute site (if I've understood correctly) they aren't allowed on the A40 on Sat 14th between the A40/A42 intersection (Bourg en Bresse) and Passy-le-Fayet, just before Chamonix. There seem to be lots of roads they can't go on between 7am and 6pm.
ski holidays
Common Saturday holiday thing in France - no trucks permitted on a lot of the autoroutes.

Strikes me as a good idea - 1 truck overtaking another can screw up driving conditions for miles!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy