Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

some more st anton tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
all,

I will be off to St Anton this weekend with the kids (12 and 14) , I have been to StA a couple of times before but does anyone have advice on:-

1) A bar with live music , but is not too rammed . I know the Piccadilly has Gunnar but it is always really busy. Is there anywhere like the old Underground?

2) Is the tuesday night Tobaggoning off Gampen worthwhile/fun /safe(ish)?

3)Any reasonable restaurants ?, atm, I am planning on using the Pomadoro and the Italian up the hill toward Oberdorf.

4) How tough is the offpiste off the back of Valluga ? (I have done a bit of off piste , including the run off the back of Rendl(hintischer Rendl?)

thanks in advance for your advice!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here is a good list of restaurants. The Floriani (the one you go up the road) is one of my favs....note that it's closed on Mondays.

http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/eatingout.html

Not sure you if are only looking for bars in town. Up the hill I found the Gruebli (opp Mooserwirt) a bit more relaxed and less crowded.

The top of the Valluga is only lift accessible with a guide. Of course you could hike up to the ridge but it's quite steep and in fresh snow a lot of work. The best thing for your skill level would be to get a guide....he will know if conditions are good and if you are up to it. The ski school runs the Powder Club....just show up at their meeting point (flag) at 9am between Galzigbahn and the Gampen chair. They run groups at intermediate and advanced/expert levels (91 euros for full day). Alternatively you can also ski with Piste to Powder for the same price....booking in advance required though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the silver fox,

Quote:

Is there anywhere like the old Underground?

Yes, The Underground on the Piste is just up the slope from the bottom of the Galzig Gondola Station and next to the Museum.

Tobogganing can be a bit hairy, there have been some nasty injuries sustained on it. It's 4km long and is, in places, poorly lit. I think they also run it on Thursday evenings you have to meet at the Nasserein Gondola at about 1930 hours.

As Snowman says you can only go to the top of the Valluga with skis if you have a mountain guide with you. You will need to be a proficient/good off piste skier to tackle the back of Valluga.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the silver fox,
1) The Griabli opposite the Mooserwirt has live music some days, as does a couple of the bars on the way down before you hit the KK. Also some live music in evenings at Platzl, which is usually fairly good.
2) Have not done that one but would highly recommend the one from Oberlech down to Lech. Simply get the Oberlech Bergbahn and pay for sledges at top or bottom. Open till 10 every night and even better in dark, although it is fully floodlit and has it's own piste basher and snow cannons! 1.2 km long but you just hop back on the cable car and repeat until knackered. Did this the last 2 years with the kids whilst staying on Oberlech and was almost as much fun as the skiing. Off to Stuben in a few weeks with my lot so will undoubtedly go to Oberlech a few times for the toboggan run.
3) Website snowman suggested is good. Pomodorro busy and good atmosphere and pretty reasonable too. Funky Chicken same and next door. Avoid Chineese - it's crap. The Ski Museum gets a great rep but have never been. Also Bobo's has quite good tex mex and good atmos. My mates have eaten in Griabli several times and rave about it - but I've usually gone down to catch Gunar, then a drunken burger from the wee burger shop at the start of the pedestrian zone.
4) Not done but need a guide otherwise you won't get up the cable car.
Enjoy the trip
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Pomodoro is good, providing you want a pizza; the bar next door/above, the Platz'l, I believe, is in the same ownership, I think, and you can eat the same grub at the same price on the top floor there in more civilised surroundings (not that Pomodoro is especially uncivilised). It also has a pleasant bar. There are some decent enough and cheap enough restaurants, mainly pig and dumpling joints, on the way out to Nasserein. If you want to push the boat out, Ben.venuto, the restaurant above the (excellent) swimming pool is very good; you can sit by the open plan kitchen and watch the grub being prepared, very enjoyable; booking essential. The restaurant in the Hotel Pension Schindler, almost opposite the Italian that you mention (which gets very busy and doesn't take bookings IIRC), is very good, but not especially cheap; again, booking essential. The Funky Chicken does what it says on the tin for not much money; it's food as fuel more than anything, but OK. Cafe Schneider on the main drag has a limited but good value dinner menu, and is usually quiet. You'll need to book for everywhere that you can, or eat early (or, perhaps, late).

The toboganning is fun, although you have to pay for the lift as well as the toboggan hire, which is a bit of a cheek. The cost includes a beer or whatever at the end. It seemed as safe as any toboggan run; it's on a dedicated track, if conditions are good you can reach an impressive speed, and I suppose that injury is a distinct possibility, but I wouldn't let that stop you (no liability for death or injury accepted).

Piste to Powder struck me as very well run outfit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy