Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

6 week ski trip to North America

Poster: A snowHead
Hi we embark on an 8 week ski trip to North America in March and I could do with some advice on resorts in Idaho. We fly in to Calgary at the beginning of March and are meeting friends from the USA on arrival. We will spend 2 nights in Banff then head south to Fernie and Kimberley for a while (snow permitting) before swinging south of the border to Schweitzer. What I want to know is what good resorts are there to hit between Schweitzer and Sun Valley as our eventual destinations are Copper Mountain and Steamboat before flying home from Denver:)
Last year we did a similar trip but went down the east side of the mountains through Montana and Wyoming.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No advice, but I should point out that you are a lucky chap.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond,
Well
Quote:

No advice, but I should point out that you are a lucky chap.

Well I have worked long and hard for it Madeye-Smiley Trouble is the snow in Canada seems pretty poor this year we were hoping for some good powder to get us started Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Come on guys you can't all be "Thompson tourers" someone else must have taken the plunge and done it themselves Shock I refuse to believe that no one has skied or boarded in Idaho snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When you going to be cruising through idaho? Assuming this is in march ...

From Schweitzer, hit Silver, then head south to McCall and ski Brundage and Tamarack, and then pick up a day at Bogus Basin near Boise on way to Sun Valley.

That's a darn fine road trip. Pretty easy driving, some top skiing. If you dig around my blog (see below), you'll find plenty of info on Schweitzer and Silver,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a word with our friends on epic ski. However, I would like to concur with Richmond wink Enjoy.....!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flying planet wrote:
Trouble is the snow in Canada seems pretty poor this year we were hoping for some good powder to get us started Crying or Very sad

It's only early Feb, who knows what the snow will be like in March? Snow was superb over Christmas and NY, but not much snow since. Could be mega again later on. Conditions right now are pretty irrelevant to your trip.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flying planet,

Quote:

Trouble is the snow in Canada seems pretty poor this year we were hoping for some good powder to get us started Crying or Very sad

Don't worry - it will be deep powder by then!!!

Sounds like a fab trip- I was looking at Schweitzer and SIlver as one of our next year plans!!

Gryph
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was at Revelstoke (excellent conditions), Kicking Horse (very good conditions, just rocky on ridges) and Panorama (pretty good, amazingly so given the amount of snow they have) last week. I had fun Smile You been To Canada this year flying planet?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
flying planet, did something vaguely like this in 2003.

Kicking Horse, Panorama, Big Mountain, Bridger Bowl, Big Sky, LL, Sunshine.

Kicking Horse and Panorama on the way to Fernie/Kimberley. Never been but anyone who has seems to rave about Red Mountain and Castle Mountain too, though a little out of the way.

Big Mountain (Whitefish) not too far out of your way. After that try this:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=7
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flying planet, do you absolutely have to go to Sun Valley? Personally, for reasons of speed to hit better resorts, I'd head south from Schweitzer to I90 and head east for Bozeman. Ski Bridger and Big Sky. Drop through Yellowstone to Jackson Hole and then continue heading southeast towards Steamboat and then onto Copper. Idaho is beautiful but roads are fiddly and you're taking yourself a long way away from your eventual departure airport.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gortonator has already replied and pinhead is also an Idaho panhandle guy.

Schweitzer, Turner (if its a Friday) & Whitefish are good bets, I skied Lookout as Silver was shut driving I 90. Ok but a smaller hill
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sun Valley is a hoot. fast cruising at its best. And great bars/restaurants/eye candy in Ketchum Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gortonator,
Quote:

When you going to be cruising through idaho? Assuming this is in march ...

Late March or early April depends how good things are when we hit Canada. Thanks for all the info sounds like we are going to have a great trip Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flying planet, early April will be fine in Idaho most years, but this is an odd winter. Just keep your eyes on snow and weather and follow the best conditions would be my advise. Some great places and terrain around here, and everywhere will be deserted and cheap
snow report
Bode Swiller said,
Quote:

do you absolutely have to go to Sun Valley? Personally, for reasons of speed to hit better resorts, I'd head south from Schweitzer to I90 and head east for Bozeman. Ski Bridger and Big Sky. Drop through Yellowstone to Jackson Hole and then continue heading southeast towards Steamboat and then onto Copper. Idaho is beautiful but roads are fiddly and you're taking yourself a long way away from your eventual departure airport.

no we don't have to do Sun Valley Its just a thought at the moment. Last year we did Fernie and Kimberley then had to pick someone up in Spokane. Picked up the I/90 there and hit lookout, Silver, Big Sky and Red Lodge before cutting across. Biggest disappointment was missing out on Maverick and Lost Trail we couldn't get up there as we managed to hit a massive spring snowstorm and got held up' With no crowds big powder dumps and $28 lift passes they are a MUST at some time.
Thanks for the info guys Smile
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
flying planet, do you absolutely have to go to Sun Valley? Personally, for reasons of speed to hit better resorts, I'd head south from Schweitzer to I90 and head east for Bozeman. Ski Bridger and Big Sky. Drop through Yellowstone to Jackson Hole and then continue heading southeast towards Steamboat and then onto Copper. Idaho is beautiful but roads are fiddly and you're taking yourself a long way away from your eventual departure airport.

That won't work. The roads in Yellowstone are not open in the winter!

You can still get to JH from Big Sky. But instead of the easy way of cutting through the park, you'll have to drive south in Idaho and over Teton pass. You need a snow worthy vehicle or good weather to get across the pass.

From JH to Steamboat is a long way, and quite out of way in mountaineous terrain that's sparsely populated. I don't personally know the winter road conditions there, but I'd think twice about that route.

Frankly, with 8 weeks, I'd go straight down to Salt Lake City and sample the Utah resorts before heading east into Colorado. You can detour to hit up on Aspen and Vail along the way.

Keep in mind many Colorado resorts closes around early to mid-April due to lack of skiers.
latest report
Flying Planet, from Schweitzer travelling East 49 degrees North in Chewelah (hwy 395) they have been getting good snow, then its Mtn Spokane (Hwy 206) in Spokane. If you want to keep going South head to Bluewood in Dayton Wa, this is a small ski area with good snow on the edge of the Wallowas, these areas have been getting what snow we've been getting in the Northwest.
You can still cut over and hit Boise then work up to Sun Valley, don't expect deep powder, Europe's getting it this year. Smile
ski holidays
Off to 49 Degrees North this weekend - it's a great little ski hill. Unfortunatelty the snow is all heading to the Oregon cascades in the next few days.
ski holidays
Well leaving the great land of N. ID on I-90 you can hit Snowbowl in Missoula then choices are head south on Hwy 97 to Lost Trail (from here it's straight to Sun Valley via nasty highways) or head to Discovery on I-90 from there it's towards Bozeman or South on I-15. Done Maverick and it's not much of a Mtn but Lost Trail has more. The goat trail (Hwy 95) through Idaho was already covered by Gortonator.
Should you come to Silver PM me and I'll either give you a tour or line you out on how to ski it. May even have a spare ticket still. Very Happy

The big factor this year is most storms are hitting southern ID, UT and CO and are not coming north which means we are just having an OK winter, not the miracle from last year. Consider a spell skiing Snowbasin, Powder Mountain and the SLC area if the storm tracks continues as is. Should you choose this option my favorite mean little ski hill Pebble Creek is on I-15 just outside of Pocatello. Continuing on to CO from Pocatello offers some travel options and Lava Hot Springs is a nice stop on the way.

Another thing some times SV does not get the snow but Targhee will, been at LE Grande Fogee many a time with SV skiers there chasing fresh snow.

Have a great trip there are many options in your fun package.
snow conditions
Sounds like a great trip! If you need dinning recomendations in Colorado let me know. Also check out Liftopia.com if you know which days you will ski and want cheap deal on lift tickets.
latest report
Snowheads is more of a European forum, so I would suggest posting on Epicski, a more US forum. They'll help you out tons.
snow conditions
Warm storm rolling through N. ID Mon/Tues 49N and Schweitzer still getting snow temps high enough Lookout and Silver will see rain and snizzle, storms cool off and Thur and Fri will be snow to the valley floor. Mardi Gras at Silver this weekend in fact events at most of the areas this weekend. Both Silver and Lookout closed tues/wed, Thur and Friday should be great skiing.

PM me if you are going to hit Silver I'll line you out on the area, I've skied around ID for years and am happy to help with your trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy