Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More skating than skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I tried to get to The Lecht yesterday - ended up like Shackleton's attempt on the North Pole. I went from Nairn up the Grantown road at 30 miles an hour, sailing around in circles when I hit icy slush and came pretty close to making friends with a BMW coming in my direction. I got stuck in snow at the Tomintoul junction and after being pushed out by an old farmer in tweeds help up by string, my shame was enough to make me turn back.

I can see from the webcam that the Lecht is stowed out with happy skiiers. Has anyone got any advice, has anyone made it from the Grantown end or is my car just crap? (It's an automatic - it has a snow setting button that just seems to go 'ping' when you start spinning - the car equivalent of covering its eyes and saying 'help!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sophiemccook,
Quote:

ended up like Shackleton's attempt on the North Pole

Puzzled Are you sure you were on the Grantown Road? wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you drive? Is it rear-wheel drive? Do you have winter tyres?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sophiemccook, afaik Shackleton journeyed to the Antarctic, so you must have been a very long way from The Lecht Laughing (I suspect that's what pam w's tongue is doing in her cheek).

Do you live in Scotland? Aren't winter tyres compulsory in countries like yours? They certainly should be down here imho Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You just sound dangerous on the road. Learn to drive so you do not endanger other people!!! Make sure you have winter tyres.....and keep away from me! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a Lexus so winter tyres cost a few hundred each and not cost effective for the few days that snows actually lying. It just seems to be the weight of the car plus bad engineering.
ANYway, I take it anyone who's been to the Lecht thinks its tickidy boo and has no advice?
Thanks,
Miss Shackleton who has NEVER had a car crash, thanks!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It sounds like a rear-wheel drive car with summer tyres. You have not a hope of getting up that sort of road. Sorry!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GreyCat wrote:
You just sound dangerous on the road. Learn to drive so you do not endanger other people!!! Make sure you have winter tyres.....and keep away from me! Evil or Very Mad

Ahhh, the friendly advice we offer Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I were to pose the question, Guvnor, "I have inherited a pair of 1950s skis and want to go to learn to ski - but am on a budget - will they do?" The response would be, you are hopelessly ill-equipped. The same goes for a Lexus on summer tyres. They (if they do cost several hundred each) are presumably hopelessly low profile.

OP would be better off spending a couple of hundred pounds on getting hold of a mid-1980s Mk ii Polo. With its "silly little" tyres it will whizz up the hill no sweat.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
James the Last, Or alternatively, we could just not tell the OP that they are a danger on the road, should learn to drive, and keep away from us. Your ponts are all very valid, however GreyCat's were not
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sophiemccook wrote:
It's a Lexus so winter tyres cost a few hundred each and not cost effective for the few days that snows actually lying. It just seems to be the weight of the car plus bad engineering.

It might not be cost effective, but it's what you need for those few days if you want to drive around in bad conditions. It isn't bad engineering or the weight of your car (more weight can be a good thing in the snow). It's your tyres. Snow chains are your only other option.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We see many cars whose drivers think 'snow tyres' aren't worth it on snowy days. At best they are abandoned at the side of the road - at worst they are stuck across the middle of the road impeding other road users who ARE equipped properly. The worst offenders of all are those who then try to overtake those who are stuck and end up themselves stuck on the wrong side of the road, impeding even the oncoming snow plough.

Winter tyres are expensive ,but if you are not prepared to buy those you must have snow chains in the car and stop to put them on in a designated area before you go up the mountain - not when you are so stuck that you can go no further and have to put them on in the middle of the road.

Without being properly equipepd for the conditions you are a danger to yourself and the other road users.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How does one judge the "cost effectiveness" of something which is likely to reduce the probability of you a) sliding your £30K + car into write-off oblivion or b) doing the same but to one or more other cars as well or c) doing all that with the added bonus of causing personal injury or death - even if you only go on a single journey in bad conditions?

I made that choice this year and bought winter tyres (ca. £600) plus a spare set of wheels (another £600). Was it "cost-effective"? I guess it's like my insurance and ABS sack, I hope I never find out Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

you must have snow chains in the car and stop to put them on in a designated area before you go up the mountain

If going skiing in Scotland - that designated area is the Services at the top of M6, just before Carlisle
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apologies Boris, , don't know Scotland very well. I guess there you just have to use your common sense.

My point was more that you put them on as you are starting up the mountain, not when you are stranded on it. Here in the Alps there are designated areas just as you start to ascend.
snow conditions
Perhaps you should wear a helmet...
ski holidays
Bonhomme de Neige, Correct me if i'm wrong but in France on snowy days/nights I have seen Guys who work for the local council at the bottom of the mountain and they will not let you up unless you have snow tyre's or chains Puzzled
snow report
peteski, not only the commune guys but on bad days the gendarmes as well. However this is not always foolproof, as the snow can start falling so quickly and heavily that problems arise before even the gendarmes get there.
snow conditions
Bonhomme de Neige, Yea we were on a coach going upto la Plagne a few years ago and the driver was trying to get up there without putting his chains on by the time he realised he had no option but to stop and put them on there must have been 10cm at least on the road, He then did not fit the chains correctly and got the one wrapped around the wheel, he was crawling around under the coach drenched to the skin, we must have been there about 1.1/2 hrs. Just goes to show you a little time at the bottom could have saved him all that grief. Sad
snow report
putting on snowchains is like reefing a sail; the time to do it is when you first think about it. snowHead I'd hate to put them on a coach though.
snow conditions
Guvnor wrote:
James the Last, Or alternatively, we could just not tell the OP that they are a danger on the road, should learn to drive, and keep away from us. Your ponts are all very valid, however GreyCat's were not

Not sure I agree, actually. Driving an ill-equipped, downright dangerous car on the road is endangering all our lives, not just OP's. If you don't know how to (equip yourself to) drive in snow, then stay at home.

And if you cannot afford to run a Lexus, then don't.
latest report
Hey, just found out the snow has melted due to making people hot under the collar!

You guys are all quite correct. The car is not mine but my husband's - my lovely wee car recently died - I am unused to driving it, especially in snow. After having a good look at the state of the tyres, they are pretty bald. I sent husband to the tyre shop with a flea in his ear. He's there right now.

I did actually learnt to ski on a pair of 50s skis with 4 ft bamboo poles! So it seems some things don't change! (Although I now know the truth about Shackleton.)
snow report
Bonhomme de Neige wrote:
Apologies Boris, , don't know Scotland very well. I guess there you just have to use your common sense.

My point was more that you put them on as you are starting up the mountain, not when you are stranded on it. Here in the Alps there are designated areas just as you start to ascend.

No apology required - I was messing about being stupid Embarassed
latest report
That's the easy side to approach The Lecht from. Coming from the east (strathdon) is far worse. Very steep after Cock Bridge (hope the swear filter doesn't alter this genuine name)
snow report
Quote:

Very steep after Cock Bridge (hope the swear filter doesn't alter this genuine name)

What did you type which was changed to Bridge Shocked
latest report
Must agree with James the Last here - little old hatchback with skinny winter tyres - not expensive,you can pick one up with enough MOT for the season for a few hundred pounds- and you will get through most conditions around the Lecht area.Japanese appear the best - have been running old Toyotas and Nissans for this purpose for years.Low profiles on any car on snow / ice are not good.
ski holidays
We got stuck on ice one night near the Lecht last year. Our tyres were spinning and we started sliding backwards down the hill. Shocked Fortunately we had chocks for the wheels and we just waited for the snowplough to grit at about 6.30am. We did try our snowchains but they are no good on ice.....we now also have winter tyres which have been great both in the UK and abroad... and snowsocks which we haven't needed to try as the winter tyres are so good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy