Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A Few Queries on Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our group is returning to Morzine this year (soon Very Happy ) and I wondered if anyone could help with a few queries:

1. We went with Inghams last year and their 'welcome pack' mentioned a 'ski doctor'. From what I remember, it was someone who looked at your technique and gave tips on how to improve it or tell you what you're doing wrong. The cost was a lot less than a normal private lesson but I don't know if it was just available to their clients, maybe done by one of their reps, or connected to a ski school. Anyone know of it or tried it?

2. Hows does ski hire equipment and service compare between Action Sports and Francois Baud?
Last year I used Action Sports and they seemed fine. Francois Baud is a little closer to where we're staying but they are more expensive. Are they worth the extra? I'm talking about on-piste intermediate category and to be honest, unlesss there was something really obviously wrong, I wouldn't know a well serviced ski in good condition from one less so.

3. Any suggestions for day bus/coach trips for two non-skiers (don't be rude wink )

Any advice appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jeraff, I don't know Morzine well, from the persective of your questions 1) and 2) , but within an hour or so of Morzine are Geneva, Annecy, Chamonix, Les Gets etc - not very exciting if the weather isn't pleasant, but a nice change of scene, with lovely views, cafes, shops, photo opportunities etc. The Morzine tourist office site should be able to advise on transport options. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We used Action Sports (near Pleney gondola, yes?) and thought they were good. Decent up-to-date equipment, seemed well maintained, they were nice to us when we swapped skis for a board mid week, did a couple of overnight repairs and services for us (at no charge).

Snowboarder friend said it was the best board he'd ever had, just to cross over with "why are all rental boards a load of pish" topic elsewhere.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're also off to morzine.
1. sorry can't help with this
2. Been there a few years back and use as paulio, Action Sports. Found them really friendly and therefore have already booked again:
http://www.actionsport-skishop.com/uk/morzine_ski_shop.htm
3. Have a look at this. http://www.morzine.com/documentation_0_1_0_5_1000.html I think it gives great info on activities and some bus options for 1 euro.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
another vote for Action sports... and you can leave your skis & boots there overnight and toddle back to the hotel in your trainers - perfect!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27 wrote:
another vote for Action sports... and you can leave your skis & boots there overnight and toddle back to the hotel in your trainers - perfect!

And the shop can be skied back to, and is at the bottom of a little drag lift to access the Pleney gondola, so if you're sticking to the Morzine/Les Gets ski area you can effectively get away with only carrying your skies for about ten yards every day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jeraff, Francois Baud is, IMO, the best ski shop in the Alps for the quality and condition of kit (I have tried a few). I would expect that they're worth the extra - as anyone will benefit from better prepp'ed skis - if you haven't noticed before I submit you've never been on a really well sorted ski!

And you can leave skis and boots at FB's as well.

I haven't used Action Sports.

SAT run buses to various locations - Annecy or Geneva would be most logical if the weather's good.

"Ski Doctor" - hmmm - never heard of this. Could you be confusing with the "Ski Doctor" that does ski servicing (I think it's a mobile service). Otherwise, either they're qualified to teach (so I don't see why they're cheaper than "normal") or they're not in which case they're illegal and I'd have no confidence in their advice.

If you've hired your skis you won't need mobile servicing either...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jeraff

1) I've not heard of the "Ski Doctor" and it sounds like one of those dodgy tour operator things.

Joe at Alpine Learning Curves in Les Gets runs a "ski MOT" most Mondays...
www.alpinelearningcurves.co.uk wrote:
Don't want to commit to a series of lessons? Want to meet like minded skiers at the start of the week? Try one of Joe's MOT workshops! These will be running most Mondays of the season.

Take a 2 hour workshop with Joe at the start of the week to refresh your technique and fine tune your skiing. Joe is so sure you'll benefit he's prepared to give your money back if you don't think you've learned anything! Only 60 euros per person/max 6 per session.

Note the money back bit if you don't think you've learned anything. Cool

I've had lessons off Joe for five years (initially alpine and now telemark) - he's a great guy and highly recommended.

2) Francois Baud. Far better kit. It's worth the extra.

3) Thonon is well worth a trip on the 1 euro bus linked to above. A fairly sized shopping centre. A good market (can't remember which day sorry). And a lovely lake front area.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, nice replies .

Although happy enough with Action Sports having used them last year, I'm being strongly tempted just to try FB.

It's looking like the 'Ski Doctor' was TO specific, but I do like the sound of it (in theory at least - i.e concentrating on current technique probably on one slope, rather than being taken around various areas learning new stuff like a normal lesson).

Joe at Alpine Learning Curves actually sounds like the same description (maybe that's who the TO meant?). But his prices are pretty close to full private ESF lessons whereas I'm pretty sure the 'ski doctor' was less than that, around 25 euro per hour.

I'll pass on the trip tips to the non skiers.

Damn I can't wait Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Re: ski hire in Morzine, we normally use Le Caribou. I found this website which has really good prices. www.snowbrainer.com That is unless everyone agrees the hire places already mentioned have much better quality kit!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jeraff, we had great stuff from Francois Baud two weks ago. Friendly service. And a discount, if you ask nicely.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rainman, I'd be interested to know if you had pre-booked or walked in. At the risk of upsetting you, how did the price you paid compare to the internet discount shown on their website:

http://www.skilouresa.com/fb-freeride/choisi_pack.php
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy