Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Farad snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Slightly off-topic, but has anybody used the Farad snow chains?
Are they any good?
To the outsider, they look just like the spikes-spider but half price.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea about them, but they do look as you say.

FWIW, I used Spikes Spiders in fairly friendly conditions a few years ago and they were fine (the type with actual chains around the tread rather than plastic arms extending across the chains); however, someone on here pointed toward a fairly thorough looking test which suggested that their performance in harsh conditions is distinctly inferior to that of ordinary chains. I think the problem is that the lack of anything on the inboard side of the wheel (a selling point for me because tof my wheel/tyre spec) means that when the going gets tough, the chain can fall off the tread. They are very easy to use, though, once the mounting plate is secured to the wheel (a once a year job).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you know if mounting the plate (without the chains) limits the speed you can do?
When they are mounted, what takes the torque pressure: the tyre or is it all on the wheel nuts?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was no suggestion of a speed limit with the Spikes Spider mounting plate fitted, and since it is only a plate over the middle of the wheel, I don't see why there should be; if it can't hold on at high speed, what hope is there for it when the chains are being dragged by snow? The plate mounts onto the wheel nuts using, IIRC, clamps (PITA if you have to change a tyre). The chains are secured to radial arms which extend from a hub mounted on the mounting plate; I can't remember the detailed construction.

I'm don't know what you mean by 'torque pressure'. The chains obviously bear on the running surface (tread) of the tyre and they are held against rotation relative to the tyre/wheel by being attached, through the arms, hub and mounting plate, to the wheel nuts and thus to the wheel hub of the car. Again IIRC, there is some adjustment to allow the chains to fit a narrow range of tyre diameter. I used the 'Sport', I think, because of the requirements of the car (which is a people carrier rather than a sports model, more's the pity); different SS versions may be mounted differently for all I know.

The mounting plate is easy if rather tedious to fit. Once that's on, fitting and removing the chains is very quick and easy indeed. As I said, they performed absolutely fine in the modest conditions we encountered, but I can see that there is scope for the chains being dragged off the running surface of the tyre once a bit of sideways movement gets going. It is possible, I suppose, that in certain conditions, the mounting plate could be dragged off the wheel nuts by the chains, but that somehow seems unlikely.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
iskander wrote:
Do you know if mounting the plate (without the chains) limits the speed you can do?
When they are mounted, what takes the torque pressure: the tyre or is it all on the wheel nuts?

I've driven across France at typical Autoroute speeds with the plates attached with no problems whatsoever. I have a pair of Spikes Spider Sport (in medium) for sale if you're looking to buy a set. Info here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy