Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice about Banff

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am going for the first time skiing trip next week and I have a couple of questions I would like answered from anyone that has been to Banff before, I have searched on the forum but cannot find the answers to my questions.

Because you need to travel on the bus to get to the 3 ski areas is it advisable to take other footwear rather than just wear your ski boots for the whole day.

My next question is are there plenty of lockers available at each of the ski areas as I have found a forum that states a lot of the lockers are hired out already by season pass holders.

My last question is should I carry a backpack whilst skiing for keeping a camera in etc or should I just try to keep these in my jacket.

Thank you for any responses in advance

Mark
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi smmjh11, you'll have a great time skiing in Banff!

Firstly, I just wear my ski boots on the bus rather than faff around with other footwear. There will be very little walking involved so it's no problem. I'm pretty sure when we have taken stuff we found lockers no problem at Lake Louise. There may be fewer lockers at Sunshine. I think people also just tend to leave their stuff in a bag in the restaurant/lounge area.

I don't wear a backpack whilst skiing and manage to carry everything in my pockets. But my OH does. Really, whatever you are comfortable with, although you may fall over a bit when learning to ski so be careful with what you do put in your pockets!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are (or were a few years ago) lockers at Sunshine; they're under the ski school office, but a lot of people just leave their kit on top of the lockers. Personally, I'd seriously consder car hire to make the hol even more enjoyable than it will be anyway.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 8-02-09 20:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, we did Banff last year. My recomendations would be to wear ski boots most days on buses, as has already been said very little walking involved at any of 3 areas. I would respectfully disagree with Richmond about car hire, we found bus service to be excellent. Only time we took boots was on one day when we stopped sking at lunch to catch bus over to Lake Louise hotel http://www.fairmont.com/lakelouise/ . Walked across lake in front of hotel and around the ice castle. Kids even had a go at the ice hockey and then took a horse carriage ride. Magical time - nearly as good as the skiing Toofy Grin but not quite of course. Lockers were no problem at Lake Louise on that day for our ski boots, lots available. Back pack is personal issue, I always take one for family with spare socks, handwarmers, mini mars bars etc, just remember to take it off on chair lifts, I've seen people get hung up on straps. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, I know the bus service is pretty good, but a car gives you a bit more convenience, especially if you're going from Banff to LL, and enables you to do other stuff more conveniently. It also avoids the hated (by me) TO transfer and driving in the area is a pleasure. Car hire is definitely not essential, but worthwhile, I'd say.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond wrote:
Yep, I know the bus service is pretty good, but a car gives you a bit more convenience, especially if you're going from Banff to LL, and enables you to do other stuff more conveniently. It also avoids the hated (by me) TO transfer and driving in the area is a pleasure. Car hire is definitely not essential, but worthwhile, I'd say.

We got a car for just 4 days through Holiday Autos, picked up at National Alamo in Banff, paid £12 extra for the max package, gave us full tank of 100 litres to bring back empty. Didn't use it to access local skiing, bus service was too good, but drove to Kicking Horse, skating on Lake Louise, hiked Jonhston Canyon, drove up the Icefield Parkway to Peyto Lake and snowshoeing on Bow Lake, etc just amazing driving through that empty wilderness and getting away from the beaten track.

Buses to LL & Sunshine are excellent, punctual & almost door-to-door service, just wear ski boots and have latches undone for the journeys, nice toasty boots for when you start skiing. I've never done so little walking in ski boots as on that holiday.

I never wear a backpack, too cumbersome and risk of getting it caught on lifts, I carry a compact camera and other bits in pockets.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smmjh11,
If this is your VERY FIRST skiing trip why are you going to Banff? Do you live in or near Calgary? If not Banff is a wierd choice for a first ski trip. If you carry a backpack you will have to remove it and sit it on your lap on chairlifts so no problem about it getting caught.
If you are a beginner chances are you will not be using chairlifts anyway. My advice if you are a beginner would be to look for a ski area that offers free passes as you will NOT GET YOUR MONIES WORTH from a full price pass you have to pay for at any resort.

www.ski-kimberley.com
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spent my first 3 years skiing at Banff. It is an excellent choice for a first timer, your talking garbage kimberley, unless your just trolling your resort.

Excellent tuition, loads of other things to do if skiing is too much, easy transport, loads of restaraunts in town, excellent place.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski kimberley, What rubbish.

Please stop spamming. Kimberly resort is NOT the answer to everything.

In fact for Snowheads, it isn't the answer to much, given that the majority of us are in the UK, and no UK tour operator goes there.

Both Sunshine and Lake Louise have green runs from every chair, and there is no realistic chance a beginner will not be using the chairs by their second or third day, unless either they are very poor or the ski school is very poor.

And why you vsay about a backpack "you will have to remove it and sit it on your lap" I don't know.

I never have, including when wearing it at LL and Sunshine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They do make you remove backpacks if bulky, makes complete sense. The last thing you need is to be caught on the lift by the rucksack catching the seat

There isn't much to do at Sunshine without using a lift. Norquay also has a chair to it's beginner slope. Only at Louise are you likely to spend some time without using a chair as the beginners lift is a t-bar
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smmjh11, Please stop worrying,- Banff is perfect for beginners and everyone is helpful and friendly. Six years ago I had similar anxieties. Our family of 4, Mum and Dad (then aged 44) and 2 young teens all learnt to ski at Sunshine,- fell in love with the place, became addicted to skiing and we have never looked back. We had lessons and by the end of the second week the kids were confident black runners and my wife and I were confident blue runners and reasonably comfortable on pisted blacks.
Wear your ski boots on the bus. There are plenty of lockers but I usually take a small backpack and wear it all day. There is no need to remove it on lifts- just ensure no loose straps).( you would have to remove it if it's large and bulky,- but that's the same on any chair anywhere). Don't resent the busride, - it's very efficient and you can enjoy the scenery and chat, make plans and just anticipate the day. Sunshine will give you confidence. The instructors are well trained and of course speak english and give you feedback. we have now skiied and boarded at various other resorts/countries and haven't returned to any of them, other than Banff,-this will be our 4th time there and we still get goosebumps at the prospect. Enjoy and remember to stop once in a while and take in the scenery.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 9-02-09 14:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hear, hear. Banff is a great spot for beginners. The ski school was excellent for our kids (group lessons) and us (private lessons) over 6 years. I never took my back pack off on a chair lift at Sunshine or anywhere else (the shock cord got caught on a chairlift in Jasper on one occasion, but it snapped rather than suspending me from the lift). I'd love to visit Kimberley sometime, but Banff is excellent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney,
Quote:

Hey I never said Kimberley was and I did not and would not RECOMMEND KIMBERLEY TO ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS. I asked why smmjh11, had chosen Banff because in my opinion an absolute beginner is MUCH BETTER OFF going to a resort that offers FREE LIFTS for beginners and also one wher you can get back into town easily WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE A BUS and there are PLENTY OF RESORTS THAT DO OFFER FREE LIFT PASSES FOR BEGINNERS and that DO NOT REQUIRE A BUS OR CAR TO GET FROM THE HILL TO THE RESORT. Unfortunately Kimberley is NOT ONE OF THEM. Please read my message next time BEFORE JUMPING TO THE WRONG CONCLUSION.
Quote:

In fact for Snowheads, it isn't the answer to much, given that the majority of us are in the UK, and no UK tour operator goes there.

Wrong again British operators serving Kimberley include Inghams, Ski Dream, Iglu Ski, Ski The American Dream,Interactvie Resorts, Whistler Chalets and more but I still WOULD NOT RECOMMEND KIMBERLEY TO ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS
Quote:

And why you vsay about a backpack "you will have to remove it and sit it on your lap" I don't know.

Skier left dangling 30ft above piste | Mail Online
A skier was left hanging 30ft above the slopes when the straps of his backpack got caught on a chair lift in a winter resort in Utah.
www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-593239/Skier-left-dangling-30ft-piste.html - Thats Why!! Anyone who rides a chairlift with a backpack on his back is in my opinion STUPID
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With an attitude like ski kimberley, it is now quite clear why Kimberley has " Empty Runs and No Lift Lines"!
snow report
ski kimberley wrote:
alex_heney,
Quote:

Hey I never said Kimberley was and I did not and would not RECOMMEND KIMBERLEY TO ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS. I asked why smmjh11, had chosen Banff because in my opinion an absolute beginner is MUCH BETTER OFF going to a resort that offers FREE LIFTS for beginners and also one wher you can get back into town easily WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE A BUS and there are PLENTY OF RESORTS THAT DO OFFER FREE LIFT PASSES FOR BEGINNERS and that DO NOT REQUIRE A BUS OR CAR TO GET FROM THE HILL TO THE RESORT. Unfortunately Kimberley is NOT ONE OF THEM. Please read my message next time BEFORE JUMPING TO THE WRONG CONCLUSION.

If you would not "RECOMMEND KIMBERLEY TO ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS" (Why the shouting), then what, exactly was the ponit in putting the link in?

I can't see that there could be any reason for putting that link in unless you were either spammuing, or weer suggesting it as meeting the criteria you had just specified.

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong again British operators serving Kimberley include Inghams, Ski Dream, Iglu Ski, Ski The American Dream,Interactvie Resorts, Whistler Chalets and more but I still WOULD NOT RECOMMEND KIMBERLEY TO ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS
Quote:

OK, I hadn't seen that Ingams do (where do they send their clients, sinecc according to your website there is only one hotel and one chalet?). Iglu Ski aren't a TO, they just list the packages offered by other TOs.

And the rest are relatively small - I should have said "major" Touur Operators, since I don't know what all the smaller ones do - My mistake.

Quote:

Skier left dangling 30ft above piste | Mail Online
A skier was left hanging 30ft above the slopes when the straps of his backpack got caught on a chair lift in a winter resort in Utah.
www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-593239/Skier-left-dangling-30ft-piste.html - Thats Why!! Anyone who rides a chairlift with a backpack on his back is in my opinion STUPID

No, you just have to be reasonably careful.

And that doesn't explain why you said "you will have to", only why you think they should.
latest report
To get back to the original question

- Over many seasons skiing at Banff, I've always worn regular footwear for the bus trip and rented a locker at the various day lodges. There are boot lockers at LL, Sunshine and Norquay for daily rental ($1 or $2 coin-ops). If you want to leave your skis overnight, there's a ski storage facility also for a couple of bucks.

I guess it comes down to how comfortable you feel in ski boots, when you're not actually skiing, and how far your hotel is from the nearest bus stop (most aren't far).
ski holidays
Another vote for Banff for a first trip. Me and the missus learnt there 8 years ago and had a fabulous time - we've been back since, and I'm sure will return there many times in the future. The buses are efficient and punctual, and as stated above, its a lovely drive through the Rockies to get to Lake Louise and Sunshine.
One of the best non skiing days we had last time was to do a half day dog sledding - great fun!

... errr, so who gives free lift passes to beginners - and how do you prove you ARE one - pretend to fall over everytime you see a lifty or ski patrol? Ski Kimberley you are a first class knob Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
alex_heney,
Quote:

If you would not "RECOMMEND KIMBERLEY TO ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS" (Why the shouting),

Perhaps because I realized that you had not really read my post and had just jumped to conclusions www.ski-kimberley is an unofficial Kimberley site which includes bad points about Kimberly as well as good and why shouldn't I put it in?
Quote:

OK, I hadn't seen that Ingams do (where do they send their clients, sinecc according to your website there is only one hotel and one chalet?).

My website says there is only one hotel and one catered chalet (catered chalets are a pretty new idea in Canada) on the ski hill. It also list other lodging altenatives including some bed & breakfast facilities and self catering chalets once again you are not looking at what is there and just jumping to conclusions. There are also
other hotels in town and hundreds of condos on the ski hill. If you want to know where Inghams send their clients then use the following link. http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski/CAN/KIM/index.html

Quote:

Because of that accident in Utah virtually every chair lift now has a sign at the bottom telling you to remove backpacks before riding the lift that includes Lake Louise
snow report
ajpaul,
Quote:

... errr, so who gives free lift passes to beginners - and how do you prove you ARE one - pretend to fall over everytime you see a lifty or ski patrol? Ski Kimberley you are a first class knob

Let me correct you the knobs are those like yourself who make statements that are foolish and incorrect. For your information as you seem unable to gleen facts there are free beginners lifts in Courcheval 1850 and 1650 which are operating every day in the ski season and no you don't have to fall over everytime you see a lifty as they are free to use. However you cannot access any other lifts from them as they are beginners lifts which are FREE TO USE. I could list more in other resorts but lets see if you can find them for yourself second class ****!

www.ski-kimberley.com
ski holidays
Er - perhaps less of the heat on this thread? Confused

You would only want to be using a free beginner's lift for a day or so surely - I can't imagine any beginner using such a lift for a whole week. Certainly when I learnt to ski in Val Thorens by the end of the week we had skiied down to Menuires & St Martin and had skiied a lot of the VT mountain (blues!)
snow report
ski kimberley wrote:
alex_heney,
Quote:

If you would not "RECOMMEND KIMBERLEY TO ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS" (Why the shouting),

Perhaps because I realized that you had not really read my post and had just jumped to conclusions www.ski-kimberley is an unofficial Kimberley site which includes bad points about Kimberly as well as good and why shouldn't I put it in?

And just what "conclusions" do you think I was jumping to? And what makes you think (wrongly) that I had not really read your post?

The only "conclusion" I can see was that just about every post I have seen from you has that link in it, and from context, appears to be suggesting that as an alternative to whatever you are responding to.

That is, I am sure, a conclusion that almost anybody reading your posts would come to.

If you want the link in every posts, but not to have it seen like that, then put it in your signature, as quite a few other people do.

It is still there, but isn't then seen as an intrinsic part of the response.

Quote:

Quote:

Because of that accident in Utah virtually every chair lift now has a sign at the bottom telling you to remove backpacks before riding the lift that includes Lake Louise

They may do in Utah, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will be required to in Banff (although they may have similar signs by now, they certainly didn't a few years ago).

It will certainly be a good idea for him to take it off if it is bulky, or has a lot of loose straps, regardless of whether he is required to or not.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy