Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss ski school turning technique - shoulder rotation

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar,

Don't like the gorilla turn....ugly, ugly, ugly..............but I'd use it if it was the only way to get them round in deep snow...and I was kind of stuck,
that wouldn't be trouble to me..... but hopefully I don't have to ..there are other ways that I think I can adopt... I do recall an arm punch which works...and has the same end result as bringing the shoulder round, but of course, you soon want to quieten the body...

I think that people should build up a variety of ways to turn and adopt as and when..... I agree it doesn't want to be a core turn.

It comes down to this, AFAIC... you have your basic ( good ) ski style which you return to as much as poss..and you adopt a more radical/extreme position to get something to work..the goal being to adopt your basic ski style almost everywhere so these 'departures' decrease.

Beggars and choosers...depends which situation you are in....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT, sure, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. As you said earlier, you start with the basics and improvise when necessary. But you wouldn't teach a 'gorilla turn' to a novice because while it might sort of work on the bunny slope it's going to be fairly destructive to your skiing if that's what you revert to when the going gets tough. Shoulder swinging comes naturally to many people because it's a good way o get their skis past the fall line quickly. It can very easily and very quickly become their standard turn style. That should be sorted out as soon as possible IMO. There's a big difference between technical instruction and tactical instruction.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've had lessons in 4/5 different resorts in Switzerland and the shoulder-swinging thing is, in my experience, unique to Wengen.

I will never forget questioning an instructor there and his justification of it being that ' it helped seeing who was coming downhill behind you'. He was English by the way.

That is no reflection on Ronald by the way who is obviously open-minded and keen as mustard and not the instructor concerned if anyone thought that.

Maggi .. that was the second worst lesson ever, dispiriting but then again conditions were awful and he didnt try and teach us anything!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre, talking with easiski (Wengen, 2 evenings in L2A) and doing my qualifications in Austria sure as hell makes you a lot more open-minded.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a video from the 80's / early 90's? in which a Swiss instructor is teaching beginner powder skiers to turn by "punching" an arm high into the air (as JT describes above?) with a lot of shoulder movement so it seems like this has been going on a long time. Confused

However, I was with an aspirant guide from the local Swiss ski school last winter and he certainly didn't ski like that or advocate it to anyone.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda wrote:
I have a video from the 80's / early 90's? in which a Swiss instructor is teaching beginner powder skiers to turn by "punching" an arm high into the air (as JT describes above?) with a lot of shoulder movement so it seems like this has been going on a long time. Confused

However, I was with an aspirant guide from the local Swiss ski school last winter and he certainly didn't ski like that or advocate it to anyone.

.. kinda surprised at that.

Wengen belongs in the Champagne Charlie Sloanie 60s rather that era Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agenterre, you mean you expect the video to hail from the 60's rather than the 80's? I'll try to find it although my brain doesn't seem to remember where I've stored things as well as it once did rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yoda, .. as the ole saying goes .. if you remember the 60s , you weren't there.

Just a comment on Wengen .. shabbiest, tawdriest, worst lift system, most poorly-groomed, dead ( and I speak as an old fart who is in bed by 10) resort in the Alps ( IMHO!!) saved by the 3 Grand Ladies looking down on it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre, otherwise OK?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
COUNTER - aka Counter Rotation or Counter-Acting - When the skier has mastered Separation and the skis are pointing across the hill, whilst the upper body is facing down the hill, the skier is then in a Countered position.

Note that Counter is not a deliberate move. It happens as a RESULT of the skier turning the skis under the body, using Separation.

Hmmm, just goes to show that it is possible to edit technical material, without really understanding it. Embarassed Embarassed Calling skimottaret, calling skimottaret... Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, rob@rar, NehNeh NehNeh i did pass comment on the wonderful views amongst that! wink

I would however rate the crappiest small resort around here as good or better ( well, apart from Isola !!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, and to confuse you even more you can drive the inside hip forward to deliberately create early counter Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since my post obviously sparked this thread I'd better chime in (only just seen it). What I saw in Wengen was horrifying and more than Ski Simon because I was on the nursery and teaching slopes all the time. I won't go into the exercises here - but the whole principal was to rotate the shoulders and thence hips which flattens the skis which are then easy to 'spin' around the corner. I saw this being taught in various ways at lots of different levels.

I have personally had to put back together 2 intermediate skiers who had been taught this and had consequently totally lost their ability to retain their edges during a turn on steeper slopes. Anyone who knows me will know that once I've taught someone I take a lifelong interest in their skiing, so I was not chuffed! Evil or Very Mad

In order to maintain pressure (sorry VCool and edge hold during the turn you need to counter. We no longer need to face right down the valley like we used to and we normally finish the turn much 'squarer' to the skis than in days of yore. Modern skis do like to be driven, and you can drive them better if you're facing the same way. However none of this is shoulder rotation to initiate and continue the turn and I've never seen a swiss 9or any other) WC racer doing anything like it. Shocked Upper body rotation throws weight onto the inside ski, flattens the skis and consequently the skier slides out on the turn. The world is full of people who ski like this, and they are dangerous as soon as they go fast or get onto any steep runs because they do not have any edge control or proper steering.

I went to the ski school and spoke to the director who gave me a little book of their techinique and informed me that the WC skiers ski like this! I went straight back to the hotel and looked at Ron Le Master's site to check (Ronald was there), and - I was right! They don't!

Anyway, if anyone is going to a swiss resort and is taught this, they should pay not attention and/or stop going to their lessons. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
little tiger, Laughing Laughing Oh dear. Still, I had to agree with the instructor that I was carving better/more easily with my upper body following the direction of my skis. But these were big arcs and I had, after all, only just learned how to carve! So maybe he was just keeping things simple to start with. I did find it a bit difficult to 'map' my overall route down the mountain that way, though - nothing to do with the skiing, just the little matter of working out where I was going/avoiding other skiers! Laughing
ski holidays
JT, I can't thank you enough for bringing the term 'Gorilla' into this rolling eyes
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
little tiger, Laughing Laughing Oh dear. Still, I had to agree with the instructor that I was carving better/more easily with my upper body following the direction of my skis. But these were big arcs and I had, after all, only just learned how to carve! So maybe he was just keeping things simple to start with. I did find it a bit difficult to 'map' my overall route down the mountain that way, though - nothing to do with the skiing, just the little matter of working out where I was going/avoiding other skiers! Laughing

The main thing to bear in mind is that skiing is a dynamic sport and there is no such thing as a fixed body position which will always be right regardless of what you are doing. So whether you are square to your skis or your body faces more down the fall line will depend much on the radius of the turn that you are doing. For me it was only when I started to understand the technical aspects of skiing rather than focusing simply on body position did it all begin to make sense, although I appreciate that people have different learning styles.
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
I went to the ski school and spoke to the director who gave me a little book of their techinique and informed me that the WC skiers ski like this! I went straight back to the hotel and looked at Ron Le Master's site to check (Ronald was there), and - I was right! They don't!

I didn't realise that you had spoken to the ski school about it. Did you get the impression that this was a local thing or something which came through the Swiss system more generally?
latest report
Megamum wrote:
JT, I can't thank you enough for bringing the term 'Gorilla' into this rolling eyes

It's a pretty accurate description though!
snow report
A gorilla moves his entire torse and arms from right to left. He doesn't counter. His body faces the way he's going. Like a French ski instructor?
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:

So whether you are square to your skis or your body faces more down the fall line will depend much on the radius of the turn that you are doing
That's what I was intimating above, in relation to short turns on a steep slope.

easiski,
Quote:

Modern skis do like to be driven, and you can drive them better if you're facing the same way.
That makes sense in relation to what I was being told the other week - particularly since I was, in fact, only just learning how to drive.

easiski,
Quote:

In order to maintain pressure (sorry V and edge hold during the turn you need to counter. We no longer need to face right down the valley like we used to and we normally finish the turn much 'squarer' to the skis than in days of yore
That also makes sense and is consistent with this
Quote:
Counter and arc to arc skiing go well together
from FastMan.

OK, I think that's un-confused me, thanks all. At least most people seem to agree that it's a bad idea to throw one's shoulders around. In fact, that must be just about the only bad habit I haven't acquired! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
OK, I think that's un-confused me, thanks all. At least most people seem to agree that it's a bad idea to throw one's shoulders around. In fact, that must be just about the only bad habit I haven't acquired! Toofy Grin

The good 'counter' is with the hips; the bad 'counter-rotation' is with the shoulders.
snow conditions
rob@rar, He told me that this was the new swiss system and that it was based on how the WC skiers ski. Shocked BTW he did rather treat me like one of his unqualified brits - which gives credence to some of lungostyle's rants!

Hurtle, Well, of course, you can always come along in summer for some uncomplicated fast and easy skiing!!! wink wink
snow report
easiski wrote:
He told me that this was the new swiss system and that it was based on how the WC skiers ski. Shocked

Wow! Shocked indeed.
ski holidays
So I assume I would be better off saving my hard earned cash for lessons with Prosneige in April in VT than in Switzerland over 1/2 term.

I now have to live down a certain someone coining the term 'my little gorilla' wink
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
So I assume I would be better off saving my hard earned cash for lessons with Prosneige in April in VT than in Switzerland over 1/2 term.

You could ask your guy in Moerlialp why he is asking you to swing your shoulders. Having seen the comments in this and the other thread you will be able to understand whether he is talking sense or nonsense. Have to say that if anyone tried to teach me to swing my shoulders to make my skis turn I'd run a mile!
snow conditions
rob@rar,
Quote:

The good 'counter' is with the hips; the bad 'counter-rotation' is with the shoulders.
I realise that now. The Glossary is misleading in this respect. Shocked
ski holidays
I'm incredulous at this shoulder-swinging stuff.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
I'm incredulous at this shoulder-swinging stuff.

Welcome to the Incredulous Club Smile
snow conditions
laundryman, As you should be!

rob@rar, Indeed - my reaction was even more incredulous.

Megamum, No save it for summer and fast & easy!! wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, another useful thing I was taught the other week, was to be discriminating in taking advice - any tips that patently don't work should not be followed (said the Scots guru). Easier said than done, sometimes, but I did see the point. wink
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
He told me that this was the new swiss system and that it was based on how the WC skiers ski. Shocked
When I come across a one week skier that skis in a similar manner to a WC skier (carved, long radius turns at 40kph)... I'm not sure why that situation would make any difference anyway - despite the top skiers staying more in line with the skis they still don't initiate with the upper body, so either way the reasoning is at least bemusing to me.

easiski wrote:
rob@rar, Indeed - my reaction was even more incredulous.)
I'm not sure whether my reaction was 'incredulous' exactly. I believe what I actually did was start laughing, and then have a rant about it to andy, who was unfortunate enough to be sat next to me on the chairlift at the time.
ski holidays
Hurtle, older and slightly wiser these days I would tend to agree with:

Quote:

another useful thing I was taught the other week, was to be discriminating in taking advice- any tips that patently don't work should not be followed

However, when you are in the situation I was where the 'iffy' teaching technique is the only thing you have been exposed to, it is getting you down the hill and you are convinced that it is your own fear which is preventing you from progressing, then you have no way of knowing that you are being incorrectly taught.

By analogy I can ride a horse - I have been on horses since I was 4 years old, and can get a horse to do most things whilst staying on its back - by any stretch of the imagination I make a fairly good job of staying on a horse and controlling it. If I was to put BMF_Skier on a horse (which might be hillarious in itself) and teach him to ride there is a fair chance he could end up riding a horse as well as I do - if he never went to a different riding school he would think that my method was the correct way of doing it, and yet it is not - things have moved on since I learned and the modern method of teaching varies in a lot of ways to how I learned nearly 40 years ago.

I guess what I am getting at is until you know that there is more than one possible way of doing something as a novice you are likely to believe what you are initially shown in the absence of any better method being presented.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 9-02-09 23:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Megamum, I agree, not always easy to differentiate between good advice and bad. But some of the pudding is proved in the eating - if it works and you know why it should work and you can feel it working for you (as I actually experienced the sensation that it was easier to 'drive' my skis if I was pointing the same way) then it's a fairly safe bet that the advice is OK.
snow report
Hurtle, that wouldn't quite work in this case because swinging your shoulders around when you're on easy slopes and skiing slowly does work, sort of (it will turn your skis a bit). But it's a bad habit to get into because it makes control when skiing steeper or faster much more difficult; it doesn't provide a foundation for further learning.
ski holidays
Quote:

Ron Le Master's site to check (Ronald was there), and - I was right! They don't!

Is Ronald Ron?

By the way, the only time I had a French snowboard lesson the instructor taught me to turn the board by turning my shoulders and outstretched arms. Because I had read around the subject a bit (SO much easier than actually doing it.....) I knew this wasn't the most efficient way, and that I should be steering with my feet, a la McNab. I watch a lot of snowboarders and instructors from the chairlifts (also a lot easier than actually doing it) and I don't think many, if any, of the instructors I've seen are teaching foot steering. That's my excuse for not taking any more snowboard lessons. wink

One of these days I shall re-read this thread, and concentrate on understanding it. In the meantime I shall continue to sit in my armchair and watch "advanced balance skills". With a glass of something.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Ron Le Master's site to check (Ronald was there), and - I was right! They don't!

Is Ronald Ron?

No, different people.
ski holidays
Megamum, What's your problem with the word 'gorilla'... ?? everyone knows what is means in this context...
latest report
JT, I'm sure everyone does know what it means in this context, but you haven't got someone now calling you 'my little gorilla' rolling eyes
snow report
Megamum, Laughing Laughing ........who dat den..?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy