Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Comparing Twin Tip to traditional flat tailed skis - true running length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK..so a 189 Seth Pistol only really has an effective edge length of about 162cm.

A 186 Stockli DP Pro + is 186cm that comes to about 171cm and the 193cm comes to about 178cm.

So if i'm happy with my Seth Pistols length wise then the 186 Stockli would be a good length to go for?

I'm 210lbs and 185cm tall. Until I really started to think about the true running lenght i'd have gone for the 193 but that has about a 5m bigger turn radius at 32.2m and I reckon will be a bit hard work to turn in tight places.

I suppose I'm trying to convince myself that the 186 will be a lot of ski and still stable as anything given how stiff they are even though it's the shortest ski i'll have ever had !?

If anyone says demo them then I would if (a) if was possible to find a selection of both sizes and (b) I wasn't then forced into paying in Euros and getting stung. Cheaper to buy from Incline Sports in Scotland by a mile.

I've tried TGR but they are as helpful as a kick in the teath being so US biased. No one has skied the 193 that I can find so thought i'd have another go on here and talk edge lengths?!

Any thoughts....Alex Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alex A,

If you are looking at the DP pro..then 186 sounds good..to my thinking

My thoughts/2p on TT's .....

It isn't in deep snow that the TT shows up so much...as the tail will still have a contact and influence with the snow, it is on hard snow, where the lack of connection at the tail can show the skis skis short.
At some point, this might be ok...but at fast speeds, you might notice it letting go of the turn

I think you need to try both lenghts....and my feeling would be that high 180's...... it may be that you are between lenghts.
If you aren't worried about a 190 ski, then I'd go for that.

I normally say head-height for TT's but you are a big guy, so I'd be looking for another 5cms or so.

I am 183 and 85kgs..and I wish I had another 5 cms on my 183 cms TT Glads... as I like the ski, can turn it easily...I just don't like it hammering fast pistes...I have to concentrate too much.

FWIW.....a TT to me, skis about 5cms-10cms shorter and then plus or minus the weight factor.

I do think the the DP Pro sounds like the ski that the TT would want to be... and maybe I missed a trick..I'd get 186 for me
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, cheers for input. It's the "Plus" model DP by the way so the 101m waisted one.

I think it would be an easy decision if I wanted this as a pure powder ski. I'd go for the 193. BUt I love the Seth's in the fresh snow so will be using those as they are perfect. It's between storms and on harder snow / chopped up stuff that the DP + will come into it's own and that's what I want the ski for. 90% off piste by the way.

I know I could handle the 193, but if the 186 can do the job then it's better to have the lower swing weight and smaller turn radius when in tight couloirs etc or in trees.

Wish I could find a demo of both. They either have the 201cm or the 186cm. Not the 193 !

Alex
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK..decision was made for me as no 186cm skis left at all anywhere !!

so... 193cm DP PRO + beasts it was then !

Keeps fingers crossed for epic conditions...or at least i'll be able to plough through anything on these skis Toofy Grin Laughing

Counting days till Chamonix...11, 10...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alex A, Probably the better choice anyway. The 193 stiffness would have been optimised for someone of your weight. I find this makes more difference than the difference in length on most skis. Comparing lengths across different manufacturers and models can be misleading for this reason. For example a 189 Seth and a 193 Stockli might be optimised for a skier of similar weight, as they are both the longest models. It's a rough rule of thumb, but I find it works quite well. I'm 6'1", 195 lbs, a reasonable skier and always end up choosing the longest ski of whatever model I'm looking at. Whenever I've tested a shorter length, they've always felt wrong.

Edit: I see they make a 201 Stockli too Shocked
Are you sure this is a good choice of ski model for trees and tight couloirs?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
after a couple of days on them, I bet you will be wondering what you were worrying about Cool

except in moguls maybe
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster, Yeah I think you are right. I know they are going need a lot of space to use however, but really looking forward to seeing how they perform in crud and rough terrain as they are meant to be amazing. Never wanted them for trees etc... but if you end up there it's nice to be able to turn them. Moguls will be a pain but i'll just go straight over them ! Full report to follow in mid march are 14 nts in Chamonix Very Happy

Arno, yeah I have been worrying for nothing I reckon. Glad the decision was made for me in the end ! lol...

No just deciding if I can re - use a pair of P9.0 Look turntables I have....lovely condition and din 14. Just need a wide brake. Can see them for sale in the US but not here? You know where I can get some? 04/05 and before will fit I think. Same as the p12 or p15's...?

Alex
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the turntables don't have interchangeable brakes. you need to bend them
there's a how to thread on TGR
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, maybe I mean Pivot instead? Thought you could take them out? Just wind them back so they com eoff the back of the mount and then it releases? I've bent some before but didn't want to in these boards.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy