Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS Packs

Poster: A snowHead
Just picked up an ABS Vario. Did the test in the shop, very strange. Pack feels really comfortable, heavy-ish but I'm OK with that. Ski carry could have been better and I hope the limited ventilation is efficient...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's hoping you never have to use it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My older style ABS seems heavy every morning when I pick it up. But once on my back it is OK and I am used to it. I skied without it a little this winter and that did feel light and strange.

And I echo what spyderjon said.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There seems to be a bit more space in the 15L Vario pack compared with the old-style "fixed" version, although maybe that's just my imagination. I miss the elasticated bit on top for storing a jacket though. Confused And I didn't realise the handle was explosive - I thought it was a cable attachment - until the fun moment of the "test" Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got the Vario with the 30l pack. Was going to go for the 15l but to be honest, by the time I've got my shovel, first aid kit and probe in there, there doesn't seem to be a massive amount of space left in the 30 so felt the 15 may have been a little small. This is going to have to be my 1 and only ski pack, I can't take a different pack for different days on ski trips, I am worried I'll feel self concious during on piste days and a little concerned that I'll have to remove the pack everytime I get on a chair lift but other than that, very pleased with it. Feels comfy on, not too heavy, lots of attachment straps etc... didn't feel the ski attachments were lacking?

Apparently Black Diamond are releasing a version of thier own for the 2009/10 season.... Should be interesting, especially if it combines rapid inflation bag system, Avalung and is a little more airline friendly!

The guys in the shop video'd me doing the test, even got a crowd of spectators watching (I got the feeling they hadn't sold many!)

I certainly echo the sentiments above, I truly hope I will never need to pull that handle again!

I'm interested in other users thoughts on 1 thing..... Avys on piste are a rarity I know but not unheard of, would you bother plugging the trigger in on piste days or not?

Paul
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Vipa, I bought a 15L for day trips and a 30L for when I need extra stuff (had a 10% discount so I thought "what the heck" as the vario system now makes this easy. With the 15L pack on last week I had to remove for about 20% of the chairs, on the other 80% I had enough room not to worry about premature ejection (although getting your ski tips buried in the snow bank in front of the lift - somewhere you tend not to look whilst getting on, avoiding getting your head thumped, poles caught etc. - doesn't help in that respect Laughing ).

I have the trigger on whenever I'm wearing the pack, although covered by the flap when on piste. If you were absolutely sure of not needing it you could always get the "summer" back and use that to save weight/avoid mishaps. If there was a piste avalanche and I was wearing an ABS without the trigger on I think I might feel a bit embarrased Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda wrote:
Vipa
If there was a piste avalanche and I was wearing an ABS without the trigger on I think I might feel a bit embarrased Laughing

Good point.... just worried about looking a bit of an "all the gear.... " "tosser" for the 50% of the time I'l be on the groomed stuff but then I haven't bought it to look good and at the end of the day..... what does it matter what other people think!

Then again.... can't be any worse than wearing Spyder gear Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is the first generation Vario, I think 30L but that feels low.

Although it was coldish today I skinned for 1hr45mins and didn't get too sweaty so quite pleased with the ventilation.

Vipa, I share your concern, I have a couple of other packs I could use but swapping over all the gear esp the hydration bladder is a royal tit. I think I just won't plug in the handle for days when I am not exposed to any risk.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Before doing any skiing this holiday I took my ABS bag into Jean Sport in Val d'Isere to have the gas canister weighed. The full weight is marked on the cylinder, any discrepancy shows a leak or some other fault. Jean Sports also had a good look over the bag and oiled the handle fitting. Then they got an adapter device, with a canister screw thread on one end and a car tyre valve on the other. With this they inflated the air bags from an air compressor. Finally they replaced air filters by the bags deflation valves. The old filter was about 2cm x 4cm x 0.5cm the new one is nearer 4cm x 4cm x 0.5cm, but both have some bits cut out to fit around screws etc. Not sure of the purpose of the change, but they said it is a better filter. This ABS service and filter change was (I think) free, although I am hiring skis from them.

Edit: corrected filter dimensions, was "0.cm", now "0.5cm".

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 19-01-11 22:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Adrian, good for you. This is the advice that I was given when I bought mine. I tried rather unsuccessfully to do the same in Whistler (in two shops) but they don't have the same level of experience as in Europe.

I've inspected the bags / wings. My cylinder still weighs the same. I plan to upgrade to the new lighter carbon cylinder as soon I can!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, I have read lots here on Snowheads about buying and transporting ABS bags, but nothing on their maintenance, so I wanted to explain my recent experience.

At the moment the cylinder weight is not too bad for me when added to the rest of the bag and its contents, so I have no plans to buy the new lighter cartridge.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do people take ABS bags on multi-day tours (e.g. Haute Route) or is the weight penalty too much?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^^^ Any news on that BD airbag mentioned? Haven't heard anything about that, but I lvoe my current BD pack.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adrian, yeah, it's a very good point. Sounds like you had a great experience.

DB, I find with multi day tours you just simply put yourself at less risk, so you see much less ABS activity than with one day adventures be they resort / cat / heli / tours. I finally got a 30L pack, my original vario turned out to be a 15L, and I will use it on some hut based trips around here. Having said that I wouldn't take it on hut tours in Europe in April / May but I might consider it if I was doing some winter tours in Feb / March.

clarky999, yeah, they launched a "Float 30" last year but it was aimed more at Snowmobilers, it didn't have a ski carry. They have launched a ski orientated pack but IIRC it's not available in Europe until next year. Search TGR Summit posted a good review of the new pack. Looks really good and about half the price of ABS / Snowpulse.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, isn't that from BCA? I heard somewhere (either on here or on TGR) that the European RRP was going to be much closer to ABS and Snowpulse than it was in the US.
snow conditions
parlor wrote:
DB, I find with multi day tours you just simply put yourself at less risk, so you see much less ABS activity than with one day adventures be they resort / cat / heli / tours. I finally got a 30L pack, my original vario turned out to be a 15L, and I will use it on some hut based trips around here. Having said that I wouldn't take it on hut tours in Europe in April / May but I might consider it if I was doing some winter tours in Feb / March.

Thanks, I've got one with interchangable 28L and 50L pack, others in the group aren't taking theirs but I'm JB1970ing again snowHead
snow report
Swirly, whoops, nice spot. Dyslexia doesn't always help. Embarassed

DB, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
An update to my 19 Jan 2011 report on the ABS.

The check over of my ABS bag and the filter change that Jean Sports in Val d'Isere did was free, although I did pay them lots of money for equipment hire for my wife and myself.

The instructions with my ABS bag talk about getting the bag serviced periodically. I asked about servicing of the man who is, I believe, a representative or employee of ABS and who is based in Val d'Isere. He said that the checking that Jean Sports did and that I described previously is all the servicing that is required.
snow conditions
Adrian,
Quote:

a representative or employee of ABS and who is based in Val d'Isere.

I maybe wrong of course but I would guess that they were working for the French ABS Distributor who is also based in Val
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy