Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SpyderJons most excellent Ski Tuning

Poster: A snowHead
Just got home from a very interesting and educational afternoon spent with Spyderjon at Jons Ski Tuning

I had my binding Tensions checked (all perfect) and was Campbell balanced (I was 4cm too far back). Jon then proceded to show me how to edge tune (including sidewall stripping) and wax my old Atomic Metron X's. Basically demonstrating each action to me and then letting me do it to the 3 other edges. All the while explaining and correcting my bad habbits

Now I've been attempting to tune these myself for the last 4 years and I was amazed at how much more there was to learn and how much more confidence I will now have doing it, and how much cleaner, smoother and sharper my edges now are. I also had my sidewalls stripped, a most disturbing proceedure that I would never have had the confidence to do without seeing it done first (very agressive scrapping noises!!!)

All I can say is if you are interested in tuning your own ski's and can get to Nottingham then definately get yourself on one of these classes. They are amazing value for money and even included a cup of tea. Even chatting with Jon is a learning experience, and I now know a lot more than I did on a huge vareity of ski topics

One warning though, do take more money with you cos you will definately want to come away with some more tools/files/waxes etc

As you can tell I was impressed and cant recomend this enough.

Many thanks Spyderjon
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
madmole, thanks for the kind words.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
madmole wrote:

All I can say is if you are interested in tuning your own ski's and can get to Nottingham then definately get yourself on one of these classes. They are amazing value for money and even included a cup of tea. Even chatting with Jon is a learning experience, and I now know a lot more than I did on a huge vareity of ski topics

A sign of the times? I thought a bacon sarnie used to be part of the package wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, Deb was out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
remind me to book a slot when Deb's in then Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
madmole, I'll go along with that, After having very good tuition form jon in 07 it gave me the confidence to tune my own ski's and the difference from shop tuning is vast. The satisfaction you get when you strap those planks on and whoosh, and you had something to do with it. I would recommend Jon to anyone. Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, I have 4 weeks to wait till I get to test the properly tuned and balanced combo out in Alpe D'Huez. I expect it will be like being on new ski's. Might even be able to do the tunnel Mogul field on my feet and not my bum now

Sunday was lovely and sunny and their was a LOT of snow in the fields near Jons, I was very tempted to stop off and give em a go
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
peteski makes a good point about the confidence. After Jon had showed me how, I did for the first time tune my skis. In resort. Without any tuning bench to be found Shocked . It worked!!

Do a tuning lesson with Jon if you can. Your skis will thank you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last Saturday morning I attended Jon's Ski Tuning course.
Previously I had done minor maintenance on my skis and waxing - all picked up off the net or by asking.
I have to sing the praises of Jon as the knowledge and hands-on training given is first class, top draw stuff.
For those who own their own skis and want to understand them whilst saving themselves some money should consider getting themselves booked in.
Thanks Jon, superb !

Frustratingly now just have to wait to use them ! Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob wrote:
madmole wrote:

A sign of the times? I thought a bacon sarnie used to be part of the package wink

You get bacon sarnies? I only get biccies. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had breakfast on the way but plenty of tea Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd second all of the comments that others that have made regarding Spyderjon's instruction and knowledge - absolute top notch. And on top of that, he's a bloomin nice bloke!

Shame he can't get along to Hemel on the 6th, but perhaps the recent announcement of the star guest may be too much of a lure (but don't tell Deb!! rolling eyes wink )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I love the way the quality of Jons training is just assumed to be ace and the whole discusion is concentrating on the tea and biccy's!

Jon, maybe you could add tea bags and bacon butties to the list of goods on your web site, seems to be more interest in these than the files and edge guides!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing

Sleipnir wrote:
........perhaps the recent announcement of the star guest may be too much of a lure.......

What star guest?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
Laughing Laughing

Sleipnir wrote:
........perhaps the recent announcement of the star guest may be too much of a lure.......

What star guest?

You mean you missed rob@rar's announcement (of yesterday) that a certain Miss Alcott will be in attendance......!!!????
ski holidays
Sleipnir, time for a possible re-think wink
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Sleipnir, time for a possible re-think wink

And I am sure that (as suggested by another snowHead ) you could tout your wares on the day, so to speak Shocked wink
ski holidays
spyderjon, Right, this thread has spurred me into action.... can I please book myself onto your course? the biccies have swung it.. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I got cupcakes, chocolate ones Little Angel
snow report
What's this I see before me, a bit of favouritism - bacon butties, chocolate cupcakes???? Shocked Shocked

I have to say that I was more than happy with the coffee and biccies that Deb provided.......none of your cheapie own brand biccies I hasten to add.

On the same lines as madmole,s suggestion, may be Spyderjon can offer a deluxe service (at a price of course) where scran is provided. As madmole mentioned, the tutition that Spyderjon provides is beyond question, but we need to bring about some equality on the catering front Little Angel

Me, shallow?? - yeah, about as deep as a paddling pool wink wink Very Happy
snow conditions
Spyderjon, when do you do the European Tour? The Swiss charge a fortune to sharpen edges and whenever I try myself they seem to get blunter rather than sharper!!! Surely you can do an evening class combined with a ski trip to Verbier or Chamoinix! There are better looking women that Chemmy in Verbier. Alas Chamonix is full of blokes who need a shower Happy
snow report
bobinch, I usually do a week in Verbier each season so doing an evening class with you next time I'm out wouldn't be a problem.
latest report
radar wrote:
I got cupcakes, chocolate ones Little Angel

Yeh, but they were out of date wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy