Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking Food

Poster: A snowHead
We're self catering this year for the first time, is it worth taking any supplies with us to try and save a few quid? We will be in Les Arcs and will have a car to drive down to BSM supermarkets but wondered if their was any benefit in getting my butcher to vac pac some stuff to put in a cool bag, we are flying so obviously space will be limited.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can do that - but it will have to go in hold luggage. We have flown with stuff like that before but do not risk it in hand luggage.

That said the prices in the supermarket aren't too bad. Uk prices pre recent supermarket price drops would be about the right pricing. Intermarche (right next to Super U) slightly cheaper that SU. Look in the deep chest freezers in SU for their bargains - marked economique. They are right next to the cooked chickens.

Don't try and shop on day of arrival if you can help it. You will find yourself in horrific queues with everyone else doing the same thing. Bring enough with you for your first night and then shop next day if you can. Just bear in mind Sundays the supermarket is open only in the morning.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Remember any food you put in your hold luggage on a flight is likely to partially freeze depending on the length of the flight, so don't take previously frozen food and don't re-freeze food once you arrive...

I took a large block of Red Leicester cheese when flying to Sri Lanka to visit a friend. It took nearly 3 days to thaw out completely!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gregd, We drove to BSM to super U & Intermarche & the prices weren't too bad - not worth flying your own stuff over, I think. Intermarche was a bit cheaper & quieter when we went there (4pm on the Saturday we arrived!), but probably not as much choice as Super U. Both much cheaper than the Sherpas in resort. Enjoy your stay Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gregd wrote:
We're self catering this year for the first time, is it worth taking any supplies with us to try and save a few quid? We will be in Les Arcs and will have a car to drive down to BSM supermarkets but wondered if their was any benefit in getting my butcher to vac pac some stuff to put in a cool bag, we are flying so obviously space will be limited.

Good question. We drove this year for the first time and went self catering for the first time to Les Arcs. We brought a lot (cool box in boot) but never enough to last so we planned to do some 'in resort' shopping. We did not plan to pop down to Bourg to shop. We did one 'in resort' shop and nealry fainted at the bill.

By chance the wife hurt herself day 2 so on day 3 we did not ski. In the afternoon we decided to take the kids and pop down to Bourg. What we found was a joy. The 2 supermarkets in Bourg offer a huge range of meat, fresh veg and everything else at very affordable prices. Going back to the same place next year and wil drive. Plan to bring less and on the second day (Sunday night) go down to Bourg about 5pm and do a big shop for the rest of the week. In summary, transfer day can be mad on the roads so I would prefer to head straight to the apartment and plan late on day 2 to go do a big shop. Also by then you will know if there is anything missing from apartment you need. Bring meal for first night only or eat out.

Question for the Bourg people. Anyone know Sunday opening times for the 2 supermarkets?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T.F.C is right about Super U and Intermarche.
We use them all the time and this is our fifth season. Resort prices are not good and the food variety is somewhat restricted. Someone was telling me about a £4 cauliflower in Sherpa! Depends on the exchange rate I suppose.
What is horrific are Brit "essentials" like baked beans or tea bags. Either do without or bring your own. A good example is Pg tips. In Super u they were almost 3 euros for a box of 40 bags.as against about 80 pence in the UK. I know that it doesn't amount to a big spend but it's still a bit annoying. Supermarket hours are:-

Super U 8 till 7:30 and closed on Sunday

Intermarche similar but with a Sunday morning opening from 8:30 till 11:45.

They probably have their own webssites where you could check out opening hours and public holidays.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not for Les Arcs but for anyone going to Les Deux Alpes there is an excellent Super U in the middle of the resort. Good selection of fresh produce and prices are similar to those in the valley.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gregd, On the basis of the opening times in Bourg from Billy Whizz, you either suffer Saturday changeover queues in the shop or bring enough for Saturday/Sunday and go shop Monday after skiing?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was going to take a Turkey out to France (via Geneva airport) at Christmas but "chickened" out when saw the customs rules for going into Switzerland. They are not right keen on you importing raw meat. Not sure whether if they found it on the way in they would just take it off you or whether there would be a fine.

Got fleeced in the local butchers instead.

Just been to the supermarket in Les Carroz. Scotts porridge oats - says 99p on the packet but yours for just €4.03.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think during the winter season Super U also do a Sunday morning opening. Out of season definitely no but am fairly sure it's open during.

There is also a pretty good Lidl just a bit further back up the road leading out of Bourg towards Aime. It's got a pretty good selection and much cheaper. 9am til 7pm I think Mon - Sat

That probably would be worth doing a shop in on the way up on the Sat as not too busy. However they do not sell fresh milk!!

Don't bother trying to buy Brit things out here, it will make you cry, to see the prices. The only thing you really need to bring is tea bags!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks to everyone who has responded, as it happens we arrive Wednesday morning so will probably get settled in the apartment and nip back down in the afternoon

Bonhomme de Neige, agreed, I thought it was actually law that you had to take your own tea bags Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also check customs for the alloted amount for each food type allowed... Things you need to be careful about are meats like salami etc. and possibly cheese but I doubt you'll be taking a vast amount with you anyhow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gregd, Supermarkets in that part of the world are not allowed to give out plastic bags to carry your groceries home in. There's a collection of 'everlasting' grocery bags in the apartment so don't forget to take some with you when you go shopping.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think any form of fruit or veg is banned by customs (my grandparents once had a sack of potatoes confiscated), not sure why, perhaps because a rabid dog had chased a cat that had eaten a bird that had eaten a spider that had eaten a grub that had come out of an illegally imported apple...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
truffaut wrote:
(my grandparents once had a sack of potatoes confiscated)......

Is this the Irish equivalent of boots in hand luggage?
ski holidays
Quote:

Look in the deep chest freezers in SU for their bargains - marked economique.

No, don't. Quality is dubious, to say the least. Intermarche is usually best for price/quality in fresh meats/fish/veg.
snow conditions
Quote:

any food you put in your hold luggage on a flight is likely to partially freeze depending on the length of the flight, so don't take previously frozen food

Provided that the time spent between taking frozen food out of your own freezer, and eating it in resort, is the same, then the more time the food spends being frozen, even partly, in-flight, the better. There is a widespread misunderstanding about this. Being partly thawed, then re-frozen, does not turn food into poison.
snow report
Salt for porridge is about the only thing I would seriously consider taking [but forget, so end up with lots of little packets]. Like others have said you will get all you need if you shop down the valley in the Bourg and then you can top up later. We have a couple of big reusable bags we always pack [they double as ski boot bags when we go to the hire shop].

Quote:

Quality is dubious, to say the least.

Agreed here. The chipolatas... Skullie

doncaster, Once paid 11 euro for a cooked chicken in the Dordogne, but it probably was the best cooked chicken I have ever eaten.

Gregd, you will seriously be fine. The butcher meat in my opinion in France is much nicer than what we get in UK, and there is always that frisson of horror as you watch them cut great gobbets of meat, then serve tranches of pate and not bothering to wash their hands. I love it. It is part of the holiday to try new things.
ski holidays
I paid 8 euros for a cooked chicken at the Traiteur in Plan Peisey - just by the tourist info place. It was delicious & fed four of us well, with left overs & a carcas to convert into soup the next day.
ski holidays
Bonhomme de Neige, Super U is never open on a Sunday during the ski season. The only exception to this is when Christmas day falls on a Monday if my memory serves me correct.
The queues are never too bad even on chalet re stoccking days which seem to be mostly on Thursdays.
But hey! Remember - you're on holiday!
I strongly recommend their own brand saucisse de Savoie but feel you should give the diots a wide berth.
If you do buy any by mistake you could always try waxing your skis with them. Yes that greasy! Razz
ski holidays
I think when it come to meat I would rather throw away those I carry from UK and buy from the local French supermarket.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the supermarkets in BSM. No serious self-caterer should have an issue with the French supermarkets, for price or for quality, unless the Sterling can't buy more than one Euro any more.

To some, me included, the whole idea of doing self catering is to be able to cook meals from the foreign produces. Saving money is just the icing on the cake.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy