Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mens World Champs Downhill (may contain results)

Poster: A snowHead
The Face de Bellvarde is a phenomenal downhill course (my thoughts on it for any other discipline still stand though). I really (really, really) like the top 180 onto the road, and the jump into the finish area is a nice touch too. Really tricky, and a few have skied out, but it's edge of your seat stuff (just what a DH should be, mot what a GS should be...)

Cuche was a little disappointing given the build up that was given him, and Maier's solid looking first run was taken apart by Kucera.

Commentators p!ssing me off again... "oh dear, Bode's had to ski through the cloud, it's really not fair, it's meant he can't attack it as much as he'd have liked" ya de ya de ya.... It was the same for about six others, barely a passing mention of it until Miller's in the start gate...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 7-02-09 12:02; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic TV coverage. The slowmo and overlaying of two skiers at various points on the course is outstanding IMO. Better not put any results in here skisimon, unless you put a warning on the thread title.....you know how people like to moan.... wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chasseur, made the change. Though I've always been of the opinion that checking a thread on an event that is happening/has happened in snowSports is bound to lead to disappointment if you don't want to know what happened...

Now, interesting talking point (referring to the clouds actually)... How do you think Miller and Walchoffer (amongst others) will feel about being sent out in awful visibility, and then some other racers being allowed to wait until it is clearer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Breaking News!

As I type the above post, it is announced that Walchoffer/the Austrians (rightly in my opinion) lodged a complaint regarding the unfair race conditions, and has been granted a re-start.

Still tough on the guys that went before him - why should some have to cope with the cloud, then others get the benefit of the race referee deciding that it is unfair. That is unfair in my opinion - unless it is dangerous, you race in the conditions that are around when your bib number is due up.

Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Austrians have launched a protest at the conditions that affected Walchofer's (sp?) run. Sounds as though he may get another run....Given the delay before Defago's run whilst they waited for the fog to lift, the commentators seem to think the protest may be upheld. Speculation that Miller may also benefit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chasseur, Miller's not likely to get a re-run as the race officials only stopped the race after Miller had gone (essentially, as far as they are concerned, Walchoffer wasn't supposed to start, it was only a glitch in their communications that allowed him to).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skisimon wrote:
Chasseur, made the change. Though I've always been of the opinion that checking a thread on an event that is happening/has happened in snowSports is bound to lead to disappointment if you don't want to know what happened...

Now, interesting talking point (referring to the clouds actually)... How do you think Miller and Walchoffer (amongst others) will feel about being sent out in awful visibility, and then some other racers being allowed to wait until it is clearer.

I agree, but there are some that seem unable to exercise self-control Laughing

Pretty edge of the seat stuff - shame about Defago. Murderous course.

And there goes another!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skisimon wrote:
Chasseur, Miller's not likely to get a re-run as the race officials only stopped the race after Miller had gone (essentially, as far as they are concerned, Walchoffer wasn't supposed to start, it was only a glitch in their communications that allowed him to).

Gotcha - thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wolchhofer will get another run after racer no 37 (Dougie Crawford).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice to see Ed Drake make it down - a few costly errors, but probably good experience.

And Dougie Crawford 4.30 secs off the pace - 20th.

Here goes Walchoffer.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent run from aforementioned Dougie Crawford - could have been a good second quicker too with a slightly better line through some of the turns (especially the chicane type one). A phenomenal jump at the end too, which seemed to please the spectators. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skisimon, Brilliant run for young Mr Crawford !!! Well done snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good to see a couple of Brits in the world cup I know they only made the numbers up, but here's hoping they can make it onto the world cup tour. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Typical Eurosports cock up for Ed Drake's run. Just as he begun they cut to an interview with one of the French runners. Had to watch his run in a small frame and no commentary listening to the translation of this non-interview Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Eurosport's coverage has really p!ssed me off all week.

Why do we need a little window of the interview anyway - just give us the sound. I'm not that interested in looking at people talking, and it's not big enough to see properly anyway (even on a large TV) - all it means is you can't see either bit properly...

The bit that got me this morning was the interview with Buechel. Quite nice, nothing going on anyway and it was done on a sled. So, we get a split screen for that too - nothing else going on, just a small window in the top corner of some footage of the snow... rolling eyes

Mind you, it is being directed by the French. I've never liked watching any sports event held in France as they always bugger up the footage with silly shots and effects.
latest report
Although to be fair some of the slow mo close up action shots have been spectacular. I also like it when they overlay 2 runs on top of each other showing you how close they are how much difference a slightly different line makes.
snow report
And how big a gap 0.1 seconds really is.

You are right, the slow mo shots are phenomenal - I particularly liked the one of Aksel Lund Svindal with his outside ski in the air crossing over the front of his other ski during the Super G, awesome athleticism to complete a huge turn completely on his inside ski at those speeds.
snow report
Decision to allow Walchofer a re-run now reversed. His first run now counts, leaving him in 12th position. Courtesy of Eurosport website.

Millar not happy with decision not to pause race prior to his run. Having watched the race live, I have sympathy - I reckon he got the worst conditions of all. Racing downhill half blind is not the same as racing in full light conditions. Some may say luck of the draw, but if the race director does pause the race from time to time, in order to try to provide an even playing field, then his judgement as to when that is appropriate in variable light conditions can have an impact on the results.
snow report
Walchofer's effort in getting down twice was awesome, most of those guys were in pieces before the bottom, class act
ski holidays
An estimated 35,000 people in Val D today to watch the downhill.

The weather has been kind although a few clouds affected this mornings race. The weather has now closed in and it has been snowing for the last couple of hours.
The FDB offers great views of the race from the finish area, Does any other WC venue offer such views Puzzled

The ladies downhill training was cancelled this afternoon although most of the ladies were training on the OK run this morning.

Looking forward to another great weeks racing.
ski holidays
hilary t wrote:
Decision to allow Walchofer a re-run now reversed. His first run now counts, leaving him in 12th position. Courtesy of Eurosport website.

Millar not happy with decision not to pause race prior to his run. Having watched the race live, I have sympathy - I reckon he got the worst conditions of all. Racing downhill half blind is not the same as racing in full light conditions. Some may say luck of the draw, but if the race director does pause the race from time to time, in order to try to provide an even playing field, then his judgement as to when that is appropriate in variable light conditions can have an impact on the results.

That's a good point IMV. Either run without interruption, or apply the same rules for everyone.

Good to see the Herminator getting a good position (6th I think and 1.18 secs off first), given his health is not 100%. The early start obviously helped too.
latest report
Yes, glad to see Maier get a decent result.

hilary t, there we go, you put it slightly better than I did. I firmly believe that it should solely be luck of the draw. Once you get a person deciding who's conditions are 'acceptable' and who's aren't, then it becomes a huge mess (a bit like today), and if I was Miller, I would have been pretty damn unhappy too.

Chasseur wrote:
or apply the same rules for everyone.
And therein, as I see it, lies the problem. It is almost impossible for someone to do that anyway, let alone when that person is sat in an office or a hut at the top or the bottom.
snow report
skisimon, I expect the French organised the cloud on purpose just to affect Bode wink wink wink

Bit of a mess on the running side, but a great race. Very nice runs from both our young guys, especially when you consider how difficult the course is. How can anyone find Cuche disappointing when he only lost by 0.04 of a second? Great run by the young Janka too...
ski holidays
skisimon, perhaps that wasn't very clear of me. I meant that with timed starts, the rules should apply fairly to one and all. Except where incidents occur, like skiers crashing out, naturally. With overlapping starts I do see how things get complicated though.
ski holidays
easiski, if they did arrange the cloud, good on 'em... wink Laughing

As for Cuche, it was slightly tongue in cheek, the way the commentators were building him up I was expecting him to win it by a few seconds whilst smoking a pipe and drinking a brandy. Shocked

Chasseur, that makes it even less clear... Puzzled
latest report
Chasseur, they do not normally wait for one to finish before the next one starts.
snow report
Not great Viz this morning Sad

Hopefully the sun will come out and burn of the cloud so they Ladies downhill can take place

Interseting article in this mornngs Times about Lindsey Vonn.
snow conditions
The Mens downhill was great. A really good atmosphere and loads of people. My friend and I had to leave from the valley at 7.30ish (and it was snowing) to get on the early buses and the weather down there was terrible. One person even told us the race would be called off. Pleased we did not listen and went up anyway. When we got to Val we were greeted with blue sky and only a few clouds. But looking back down the valley, it did look horrible. (It was still snowing in the valley when we got back in time to watch the rugby, and it is still snowing now a little this morning.)

As we went up early we were lucky enough to get places in the private enclosure right by the TV crews and were able to see the finish line and all the interviews up very close. Well worth the effort. Even had the chance to speak with some of the racers. A real treat.

As skisimon, says, it was great to see the two young Brits do so well. They even gave a view details about them on the commentary whilst they were racing. quite an experience for them and lots to look forward to in the future.

Not going today, weather is still bad. Going out now in the pwoder myself instead.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The main influence on the Men's Downhill race result was the weather. Besides the intermittent patches of cloud, the main influence was the ambient temperature.

It was quite warm last Saturday morning standing at the bottom of the Face. The early start numbers had an advantage because the course got slower as the race progressed. Bode Miller at the bib draw the previous evening said he would have liked to have started at no 4.

In my opinion Didier Cuche's performance was the best finishing 2nd with a start number of 16.

However congratulations to John Kucera who is the Men's Downhill Champion for 2009, the first Canadian to achieve that.

Will the BBC repeat any decent coverage of the event?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy