Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Rental (Holiday Autos) - Strange Credit Card Charge on return home

Poster: A snowHead
Hello...

Rented a car through Holiday Autos (as I normally do) to drive up to Arabba from Venice Treviso.

Collect car, enjoy ski holiday, return car, fly home.

No problems.

Purchased the full monty damage waiver from Holiday Autos, so no issues there. Returned car full of petrol, no damage etc etc, so no issues there.

Just checked my credit card statement - £46 charge from Sixt Italy.

Anyone had anything like this? No invoice, no notification, just a bizarre charge appearing on your CC statement.

Am chasing Holiday Autos for an answer/refund but not sure whether I should hold out much hope!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Speed camera or parking ticket probably
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Just checked my credit card statement - £46 charge from Sixt Italy.

Anyone had anything like this? No invoice, no notification, just a bizarre charge appearing on your CC statement.

Whichever hire firm you use, they generally send you an invoice in the post. Must be that your credit card bill has arrived first. Bit strange though - such low-ish amounts usually cover additional drivers, ski racks, additional insurance or similar.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had the same snag with them once when hiring in Parma. The charge was for returning after hours (even though it was during opening hours but no-one was there) I complained to holiday autos and got all the extra charge back so don't give up hope yet! wink

Make sure you keep all the paperwork
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seldom Seen Kid wrote:
I had the same snag with them once when hiring in Parma. The charge was for returning after hours (even though it was during opening hours but no-one was there) I complained to holiday autos and got all the extra charge back so don't give up hope yet! wink

Make sure you keep all the paperwork

This sounds like it could be right... I was due to return the car at 7pm. Arrived at 6:30pm, desk empty, waited by desk until 7:20pm, no sign of anyone, went and checked my luggage in, back to desk for another half an hour, still no one turned up, at which point i had to pop the keys through the slot and go and board my flight.

How did you find out what the charge was for? Did you get an invoice?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It was a while ago but yes I think I did or alternatively holiday autos should know if you give them a call or drop them a line. i seem to recall they were pretty helpful as it is not their charge but the company in Italy trying to pull a fast one.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Anyone had anything like this?

Yes - last year when hiring from Geneva, was charged retrospectively for an extra day's rental by Alamo (booked via Holiday Autos), even though I had brought the car back on time. I did receive an invoice showing (in French) what it was for. I sent a fax direct to Alamo complaining, copied Holiday Autos, and was duly credited for the sum they had helped themselves to.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There seems to be a lot of post-contract charging going on with Holiday Autos bookings. Be worth checking credit card statements for a month or two after renting just to check. Be nice to get a statement from Holiday Autos about their policy on this...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suspect it is because holiday autos drive the prices down with the firms they rent from so the rental firms attempt to recover every penny they can. Probably working on the principal that not everyone will check or complain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think that by nature car hire firms the world over are thieving b**tards. If they can get away with milking you for more they will use any underhand means necessary. I used to hire cars regularly in the UK and was always having to dispute charges for damage and fuelling, etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had the same thing recently where Europcar mistakenly charged me £100ish after I'd rented a car from them via AutoEurope. I got the money back but it took lots of emails and phone calls, and several weeks....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
on the other hand - someone T-boned a Sixt car I was driving in Italy via holiday autos in 2007, and I never heard a thing after that - no request for excess payment etc etc...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have just had a $25 admin charge (from the rental company) because I missed a 1$ toll charge in Florida. The federal government only wanted the $1, with no fine while the rental company felt the need to provide an admin charge
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers all for the suggestions... I'm still putting my money on some kind of charge due to the desk not being manned when I returned. Shouldn't be a speeding ticket as it was snowing when i was driving so i was over cautious if anything. I guess the only options are fictitious damage or a late return charge.

Currently waiting for Holiday Autos to get back to me... they are investigating apparently!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
magic_hat,
Same thing happened to us in Jan. When I finally got an answer they said it was for "Winter tyres & eqipment". Apparently it was in the small print.
Keep us posted on how you get on.
snow conditions
magic_hat, I was going to suggest winter tyres or snow chains. Did you request these? Were they supplied as a matter of course with a compulsory charge?

Holiday Autos should be able to get to the bottom of it.
ski holidays
Update: Still no response from Holiday Autos despite me chasing them twice.

However, I received an invoice from SIXT Italy this morning. The charge includes an "Airport Surcharge", an "Administration Charge" and "VAT".

Will be chasing a refund on this from Holiday Autos.....
ski holidays
Got hit by Hertz last year for damage - no one checked the car I was sure it wasn't damaged by me. So 1. I'd take digital photos before dropping off and 2. If there is someone there get them to sign that they have received the car and all is aid etc. Holiday autos also charged us for pick up and drop off outside opening hours. It seems as if their website defaults to this after certain times. Actually found that going direct worked out cheaper ... before they hit me for damage I didn't do. Drive myself this year out of principle!
latest report
I also just noticed a charge for £30+ from sixt italy, rented a car throug Holiday Autos and not sure what the charge is about. called sixt today and waiting to hear

I'll come back here as soon as i get some info
snow report
It might be because of this sort of thing.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1531652
snow conditions
Thanks for your reply and really hope this is the case because i returned the car 14hrs earlier, any chance of this being a SPEEDING/PARKING ticket without receiving the notice?... i better stop thinking and wait for SIXT

cool site!!!
latest report
I actually had a bit of a result with Holiday Autos last month with National/Alamo. Booked to hire in Geneva (swiss side) where winter tyre and snow chains are compulsory. All the hire companies now charge you extra for them even though all their cars have to be equipped with them over the winter but I decided to pay the hire company direct for the extra drive and the winter pack rather than prebook them through holiday autos. I had to extend the car hire locally due to my partner being in hospital beyond our original return date and the bill I got at the end of the rental included:
1. 3 additional days hire at the Economy car rate as per HA booking even though they had to upgrade our car from a corsa to a meriva
2. 1 additional driver for 7 out of 10 days - they didn't charge me for the driver who couldn't drive the extra days because he had a broken leg!)
3. Taxes and serivce charge for the extra days

There was no mention of winterisation so I kept very quiet! Result!
snow report
sarep, good result Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy