Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie help, just a couple of questions.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

My first post here. Smile

I am heading off to Val Thorens at the end of the month for my first ever ski trip. With a large group and 2 other newbies.

I am about to go out and buy my kit but the amount of conflicting information is immense from various people within the group and other friends that ski!

I popped into Snow + Rock in Chertsey on the way home today, one of the assistants in there talked me through the different bits, then said I should probably budget ~£700 for all the kit if I was buying from scratch (just for clothing). Most of the stuff in there looked shall we say 'reassuringly expensive!'

Given that I have never been skiing before and may hate it I am loathe to spend that sort of money for things I may only use once. Anyway on to the first basic question:

I do a lot of hillwalking in the UK and have various baselayers/fleeces/bodywarmers and a GoreTex Jacket, looking at the ski jackets in the store they seemed pretty much the same as my hillwalking one. Would people think its ok to use what I have or is there something I have missed with the ski jackets.

The second question is about trousers/salopettes, I'll need to buy these as I don't have any insulated/water resistant trousers, I notice that there seem to be 3 main types, waist high, tummy high and then with braces? The braces would seem a good idea given that I will likely end up in the wrong orientation on a regular basis Smile would folks agree?

I guess with the equipment there will be a certain degree of "if you haven't got the right kit - you won't enjoy it as much" I just don't want to spend unnessesarily if the kit I already have will do the job.

Cheers, Smile

Mike
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TK Maxx, ski pants, £20. Braces don't matter. Wear your hillwalking gear for your upper body.

Buy proper socks though, Falke. Two pairs.

Total spend, £60. You can thank me later (by sending me a cheque for £630).

Buy a hat as well actually, I hadn't thought of that. And gloves. And goggles.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does 60 + 360 = 700?

DOES IT?

No.

I'm so ashamed.

Welcome to snowheads by the way.

Edit: oh for the love of god, I meant to type "630". This hasn't gone well at all.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 14-01-09 23:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sirius, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Masque's excellent thread on gear really helps: Newby winter clothing guide (for the tight-fisted)

I'd say Your Jacket/Baselayers/Fleeces, etc are more than up to the job. I'd go for the ones with Braces and a high waist. Get some that are pretty waterproof/breathable, as you could be spending a bit of time on your backside. Good sources of ski pants are TK Maxx, Helly Hansen/North Face Outlet shops in Bicester too. Budget £70-£120
Don't skimp on Gloves. Make sure they're waterproof. About £50
Good Sunglasses/Goggles a must. £40+ each.
Hat and/or Helmet, £15 + £70+
Decent Ski Socks £15 pair
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike, i only started in 2000. I used a Berghaus Gortex jacket that i had for dog walking, with a Lowe Alpine fleece underneath, I bought a pair of saloppettes from Milletts for £40, and used my thick walking socks. I went to the 3 valleys in half term wek that year. Gloves and hat were also normal walking types.

Over the years i have just added better bits. Its only 4 years ago i bought my first pair of boots, i had always rented till then.

So as long as you dont care about ski fashion and looks if its good enough for hill walking it will do you for the first time.

But do get a pair of saloppettes or ski trousers, you can buy breathable ones for £50-£60. If you dont like skiing then you can flog em on flea bay.

The only advantage i find with a proper ski jacket over say a Berghaus wlking coat, is extra pockets.
For example a ski pass pocket on the sleeve, plus all the other stuff you carry. eg, walkie talkie, hip flask, mobile phone, wallet, goggles and sunglasses, ect ect.

Salopettes with braces i prefer, because as beginner you will be bending and flexing and probably falling over and the braces on salopetts keep your salopettes up and stop snow getting down your back, thus getting you wet and cold. I do have a pair of trousers as well but prefer braces on my salopettes.
Hope this helps, but i have only been skiing 8 years so not an expert

Sorry welcome by the way
Tim B
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque has done a thread alllll about newbie clothing should tell you all you need to know about whats suitable etc etc. Jacket will be fine. Would definately say get braces on the trews, mine dont have them and im sick to death of pulling them up.

here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621

Will agree with paulio, get falke socks, dear but well worth it. Gloves and goggles could try TK Maxx, Lidl, Matalan etc etc etc.

My kits all fairly expensive but I didn't really need to spend so much.

Slush and Rubble don't really do lower end gear it is really not worth spending hundreds for the first trip, you might not even like it! Although I can't see why not Laughing

Its not about having "the right kit" you'll only not enjoy it if you've got kit that your likely to get cold and wet in.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't buy anything that says 'Spyder' on it, whatever you do.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio wrote:
TK Maxx, ski pants, £20. Braces don't matter. Wear your hillwalking gear for your upper body.

Buy proper socks though, Falke. Two pairs.

Total spend, £60. You can thank me later (by sending me a cheque for £630).

Buy a hat as well actually, I hadn't thought of that. And gloves. And goggles.

Agree totally.

£700 to kit you out for you're first skiing holiday, they're having a laugh. You already have the basics for keeping warm under your hillwalking top with your walking gear. Try Decathlon for a decent pair of ski pants, good ski gloves and goggles. Spend the rest on enjoying yourself for the week, enjoy. Then it will really cost you when you get hooked. Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio, you've got your numbers wrong twice mate! first post was £60 + £630 = £690, second post was £60 + £360 = £420!

Be doubly ashamed! Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes I know that now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To be fair, I bet he already has a hat too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sirius, You have missed nothing - that are the same but with €2 of RockWool stuffinf in them! Your hill walking kit will be perfect but you need some ski trousers & long ski/walking socks - about £30 from wildday, or txmaxx or similar. I have no "ski" kit and have skiied all over the place for 25 years, so don't be persuaded to spend too much - after all you might hate it!

Braces are good! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sirius, as stated above... for the first few weeks any kit designed for winter hill wear will do. I spent the first 9 weeks of my ski life using an 80's purple and green Burghaus long gore-tex, old climbing salopettes held together with duck tape and after 18 years I have only got round to replacing my gloves. You actually look a lot cooler with old gear as there are so many people about with brand new outfits.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
You actually look a lot cooler with old gear as there are so many people about with brand new outfits.

Rear entry boots and yellow pink and green one pieces??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Don't buy anything that says 'Spyder' on it, whatever you do.
Particularly if its genuine. Laughing
Your upper body kit sounds absolutely fine. As for the rest look for as cheap as possible. If you like it you can upgrade next time. If you go expensive this time and don't like it you can't send it back. Spending £700 from Snow and Rock you'll have the Russian affliction - all the gear, no idea.
ski holidays
Thanks very much for all the opinions.

Really pleased that I can use my existing kit. Heading out shopping for the rest of it now! Smile

Cheers Smile
latest report
Sirius, Welcome to snowHead As said you have the upper body kit

Ski Pants Tk Maxx have Nike, Helly Hansen and a few others that are all good (No opinion on the braces either way)

Goggles you will be fine with a good pair of sunnies as a beginnner and a cheap pair of goggles in resort if the weather gets bad

Gloves : Do not skimp by good warm gortex ones. Tk Makk have some

Socks an alternative to the falke socks are the Salomon high perfomance ones from tk makk a little cheaper and almost as good Enjoy the trip
snow conditions
Don't skimp too much with the snow goggles. Being able to see properly is a real bonus on the slopes and often overlooked. Budget around £50 for a good pair discounted.
latest report
uktrailmonster, definitely true. Like gloves, goggles is a purchase I've made many times, trying to be a cheapskate each time, and am now thinking about buying yet another set of gogs.

Buy cheap, buy twice. That's what they say isn't it.
snow report
uktrailmonster, But if he purchases googgles and get alpine blue skies all week?????
snow report
Ordhan, Well he can still wear the goggles if it's blue skies. I wear mine in all weather conditions, that's the great thing about having decent goggles. But who knows what weather he'll be facing anyway? One thing's for sure, cheapo goggles are a waste of money. You might as well not have any.
ski holidays
Cracking thread. Loads more useful tips. Thanks everyone.
snow conditions
Hi Folks,

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.

I've just finished the week's skiing and wanted to say thanks for the great advice given above, I've had a great time and using most of my hillwalking kit saved me a load of money. I've falled over plenty but the worst I've had is snow in my gloves. Smile

Cheers,

Mike
ski holidays
Sirius, Good on you for remembering to report back snowHead By all means stick around here and enjoy the summer fun. Glad you had a good first ski holiday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy