Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire/dim settings and length of ski....HELP THE NEWBIE!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Right am new to the site people and looking for some advice, hope to get some good responses and be around for the winter and more wink

Ok i am seriously out of touch with today's equipment, and am looking for some help , last time i went ski shopping(11-12 years ago) i was racing on anything between 185cms and 2 metres (long skinny things) now tempted as i am to get them out the loft and dust them of, i fear i will be laughed of the mountain!! so when i go Tignes in a fortnight i am planning on hiring the best equipment the hire shop has to offer,this is where you guys come in... now i know a bit about carvers and have tested them out my last time on the snow, but i borrowed these so had little say on length/type etc i want to be prepared for when i go to the hire counter (buying is not an option I'm afraid)..

Any general tips on hiring and recommendations would be greatly received.

Length and type of ski??? i am 6ft2 and a very capable skier, would say my skiing style is aggressive and fast (as if i was racing a slalom coarse) what would be my ideal length of carver? will be skiing 80-90% ON piste and also playing about a little skiing backwards few jumps etc nothing to extreme or flashy (are twin tips for me???)

Bindings/dim setting??? Right you know how i ski rolling eyes and i weigh around 14 and a half stone, have had a few trips to the snowdome and used there hire ski's (what a treat that was) popped out my bindings more than a few times whilst just turning/skating jumping etc they wouldn't tighten them anymore (health and safety) anyhow what should i be setting them on don't want to pop out of them don't want to risk injury??? alredy have suspect knee's!

Boots, ok have a top end pair of nordicas from yesteryear i near perfect condition, But cause they are such a stiff race boot they are uncomfortable as hell will i be able to hire good quality boots??

hope i didnt bore you to much and hope you guy's can point me in the right direction, cheers Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swell, Welcome to snowHead

I'll try to give you a brief entirely non-expert answer.

Length - I'd go for something around 175cm but this is entirely variable depending on which ski you have. I am 6 feet and have a pair of 162cm carvers and a pair of 179cm twin-tips so it varies.

Twin-tips? - Are more fun than i thought they'd be but if you're hiring why not try a few different styles. Most hire shops are happy to let you swop for something different through the week.

Boots - Will you get top-quality in a hire shop. In a word No. Not in my experience anyway. The only way to get top quality is to go buy your own.
Ski's are another matter and you should get some decent choices if you're willing to spend the hire-shops top whack. Then again if you're willing to pay hire-shop top whack then you might be cheaper just buying a pair

Bindings - You'll get what the hire shop give you to be honest.
DIN settings - Let the hire shop do the maths for you. They tend to get it right but there are plenty of online tools to help you work out your own if you must.

Hope this helps and if not somebody more knowledgable will be along shortly to tell you i'm wrong Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes that does help, thanks. will gather up all the info i get and take that with me. Definitely will not be splashing the cash for 2 reasons, 1 = I'm broke, 2 = my knee's, bit of a make or break trip for me if you catch my drift Sad fingers crossed this time next year i will be asking which equipment to purchase ,having well and truly recaptured the skiing bug!!! I cant f***ing wait Laughing Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swell, This is in no way a definitive guide but the Ellis Brigham whitebook and the Snow and Rock winter catalogue do contain quite a bit of info on ski's in leymans terms with a fair bit of explanation.

I found them handy as a reference point when i was looking for my first pair to buy and it's definitely give you and idea of what you're looking at when you get to the hire-shop
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd negotiate with shop.... if you ski on a few pairs of skis during the week and decide to buy at the end... they should wipe all the hire charges. Whichever you decide... you will have had fun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swell, you can buy decent second hand skis on here for around £150 pounds with bindings.

Its gonna cost you that much (and more) to hire in the resort i would imagine and you could eeven resell the skis after youve finished for £100. Youve paid £50 quid basically, much cheaper than hiring in a resort imo.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Apart from the £30 transport hehehe
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa wrote:

Ive never paid to transport skis. Guess im lucky.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sps89, B@$!@&D!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swell wrote:
....dim setting.....

Classic
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarpa,
Me neither so I must be one too. Depends on where you're flying from and to. I'm going twice in the next couple of months with Lufthansa. Cheap flights, 20 kg luggage and free ski transportation. Don't you love those Germans.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sps89 wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

I'll not swear like Scarpa, but I've just paid the thick end of £60 with Ryanair to take my planks to Salzburg - ouch! Sad Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sleipnir wrote:
sps89 wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

I'll not swear like Scarpa, but I've just paid the thick end of £60 with Ryanair to take my planks to Salzburg - ouch! Sad Shocked

I always travel with air canada and BA so i get to take them free of charge. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, Be nice Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, yep, an ex-racer who doesn't know a dim from a din? Confused Hmmm...
snow conditions
slikedges, glad to know I'm not the only one who's suspicious wink
snow report
rolling eyes Puzzled if your suspicious about a spelling mistake best get used to it or not read my posts , cause there's plenty more where they come from. To the non suspicious folk thanks for your comments, had a look in a few brochures and have a better idea and like someone said i can chop and change them if I'm not happy, but am hoping to just get it right 1st time rather than waste time going to and from the hire shop, might give the twin tips a go on my final day tho wink
snow report
Well M and N are next to each other on keyboard... could be a simple typo Razz
latest report
Scarpa, maybe but twice (title and post) hmmm
ski holidays
Swell, Having had a similar break from ski-ing myself I also found the new terminology and technology rather different. BTW also seriously dodgy knees. Knee support, anti inflamitory, and pain killers helped!

Hiring quality ski's is an expensive option, avoid it if you can. Your old thin beasts should be pensioned off!

Speak to the staff in the shop for the binding release settings.
Quality hire boots? I think not. If your own are uncomfortable, hire.

After do a good job of scaring myself to death on the first run, it was still fun! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy