Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis stolen while on holiday

Poster: A snowHead
I've had my skis stolen while on holiday in Val d Allos, France. I've made a report to the Police, got posters printed, with a picture of the skis, advertising a reward for their return and spoken to as many locals as I can. I'm back home on Sunday so is there anything more I can reasonably do and will I be able to claim this either on my holiday insurance or home insurance. If so, will there be a limit on my claim.
If this sounds desperate, it is as I'm off to Italy on the 15th of March and I'd like things sorted by then. Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Madders, What bad luck, I think you are one of a number of Snowheads that this has happened to this year. I haven't any advice to give not having any experience with ski insurance claims, but I hope you can get it sorted. Were they locked or split with another pair of skis on a rack when they were lifted?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They were unlocked and paired sadly. The thing is we've been coming here now for 5 years and, well, trusted people I guess. They were Volkl AC 30's so quite a nice catch for some thieving lowlife. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Madders, Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Madders, no-one can tell you whether you can claim or if it will be limited, each company's policy is different. You need to read your small print. i'd imagine there woudl be an excess to pay and may well be a limit, but the rea issue might be that they were not locked. Good luck with the claim.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers guys. Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Madders,

Poor you...I've had loads of stuff nicked on hols so I know how deflating it can be. Not skis though, as I only hire. Did you tell the police they weren't locked?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ring your insurance company asap and log the claim with them, in case they need any more steps taking whilst your in resort....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got one of the little mini cable locks for my new board (free when I joined SCUK) but have since bought a decent cycle combination lock. If some scrote is going to run off with a grands worth of board and bindings, he will need to work for it.

More likely, he will nick someone else's.

Sorry to hear about your skis though. This is becoming more common.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Madders, sorry to hear. The hassle is something you could do without on holiday. I shall tell OH to be extra careful as he has AC30s. We normally mix them up but now that I have new Volkls myself Little Angel I have invested in a lock as recommended by megamum on another thread, though hasn't arrived yet.

Out of interest, where were they stolen from, mountain or village?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Madders, Sorry to you had your ski's nicked, I'm trusting same as you but my better half alway's makes us swap ski's I'll make sure i do it all the time form now on,like you say you never know what low life is watching, We where in Megeve a few years ago because you can access the mountain from some of the restaurants we were warned about a crew in a van that cleaned up ski's left out of site of the dinners .All the best with the insurance. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This seems to be coming much more common.

Dont have to have new kit for it to happen either...

I was waiting at the bottom of the transarc in lesarcs one morning a few weeks ago when an gentleman approached me asking if we had seen some yellow skis where we stood.

We had only been there a few mins so had seen nothing.

Turns out they had been taken. The poor guy was gutted. the skis were 20 years old. He outwardly looked quite calm, but I could see he was welling up in his eyes.

tux
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Solution - trash them, cover them in embarassing stickers and spent a lot of time on TGR ensuring the virtual retribution of the maggots will smite any wrongdoer.

(NB smiting only works if your skis are vaguely cool or worthy, if you have your B2s nicked maggots will probably tell you the thief has done you a favour wink)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

alway's

Now there's a new and original one.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, I was also impressed with that one. I'm sure its the first one of those I have seen although I have seen several ski's.
ski holidays
Cheers guys crumbs of comfort from like minded individuals are much appreciated but don't stop me from wanting to tear the thief a new asshole. I'll ring my insurance co now. Still asking, still getting blank replies and sympathy but again, thanks for all your replies and help. rolling eyes Smile
ski holidays
Madders,

Like I said we've had loads of stuff nicked, at home and abroad (used to live in Manchester - woke up one morning and the patio doors had been jimmied and the car gone). Police came and said "ah nothing we can do about it, it'll be half way to Ireland by now here's your crime reference number", God love em. It really hurt for a long time, you still have to pay the insurance and the car loan but you've got no car! The thing that keeps me sane is just thinking "well if this is the worst that can happen to me then I'm pretty darn lucky" because at the end of the day people have far worse things happening to them eg just look at the threads for the girl dying in the sledge accident and the 6 year old being killed by the pister. I also firmly believe that these people will get what's coming to them (that's probably why they're already low lives having to nick other peoples hard earned stuff). If I was with you I'd buy you a large beer! Try to enjoy the rest of your hol, dont let them ruin that aswell. wink
latest report
Well, I hired some Dynastar top of the range jobbies but they're not my Volkl's tho they did match my jacket and trousers rolling eyes Laughing anyway, I've rung the insurance co and they're happy with what I've done and have said that they will honour the claim as long as all the paperwork is in order snowHead Gotta say though, this was only the third trip with the Volkls and I'd rather have kept them. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Good sort of, or at least, could be worse.
ski holidays
I did post a suitable punishment for ski thieves... it may have been a little harsh.
snow conditions
, HH, Yes -chop their f----n hands off, like they do in Saudi Arabia -I would be first in the queue - rough justice -bring it on Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I tested Blizzard GS skis in Hinterglemm last Sunday, they didn't ask for any ID or credit card, just gave us the skis and said to be back before they closed!
latest report
HH wrote:

patio doors had been jimmied and the car gone).

Where do you park your car that they needed to jimmy the patio doors Puzzled

Bad luck though
snow conditions
One of our group had his skis stolen on Sella Ronda last month, standard hire skis. We assume it was someone who needed skis, perhaps lost theirs in powder, so took a pair that he could adjust the bindings to fit. The police confirmed that no skis were left out on the mountain that night, so it wasn't a case of mistaken identity, taking the wrong pair.

Bad luck, it's not just the theft, it's the taxi back home, missed skiing and the time to get replacements. Splitting pairs is probably worthwhile whatever the value of the skis.

I realised my new lightweight poles are worth more than my 7 year old skis, do these get nicked now?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 8-02-09 15:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Madders, tough luck but good the insurance will pay out at least something. Most policies don't pay out on unlocked skis left unattended outside a restaurant even if they are split. I got laughed at by a couple last week for locking my skis up on the mountain in Kitzbuhel - even my rudimentary German could understand the sniggers. I don't think I saw another pair of skis locked - but I'm just used to doing it.
ski holidays
Garfield,

They came in to the house to nick the car keys!
ski holidays
I bought a new pair of skis 3 weeks ago and a Kytonite lock to try and lock them up with. Used them the weekend after I bought them. In the end I just never let them out of my sight. When I did stop and go into a hut for grub I swaped one with my m8's ski's and made sure the hut's access was only by skiing. Then paid 2.5 euros to overnight them in a ski depot in Ischgl each night.
ski holidays
Cheers guys, next thing is where to buy some 2007 Volkl AC 30's. The new ones are too garrish, even for me . These are the ones that I had stolen and the ones that I want. If anyone can help me locate some, I'd be really grateful Smile http://www.mamboo.ru/upload/volkl08ac30_l.jpg
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually, they may well be 2008 jobbies Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
cathy, you've finally shamed me into reading the small print of my policy! I've got a Ski Club policy at the moment - though I'm intending to change to Direct Travel when that expires in March - and it says "you must take proper care of your belongings, for example by splitting your skis, and act as if you did not have this insurance policy." So, no express requirement to lock them. If I buy new skis, which I don't intend to do until next season, I guess I'll probably buy a lock. Didn't notice, what sort do you use? (I did see that it hardly took you a moment to lock/unlock your skis.)
snow conditions
Sorry about that, it sucks when that happens.
latest report
cathy wrote:
Madders, tough luck but good the insurance will pay out at least something. Most policies don't pay out on unlocked skis left unattended outside a restaurant even if they are split. I got laughed at by a couple last week for locking my skis up on the mountain in Kitzbuhel - even my rudimentary German could understand the sniggers. I don't think I saw another pair of skis locked - but I'm just used to doing it.

I lock my skis to my other half's skis and then (if possible) the ski rack. It can be a bit of a faff and we get funny looks everywhere we go. People seem utterly bemused that i am doing it when there are better/more expensive skis sitting unlocked. I rarely see any other skis locked.
ski holidays
I am reading this with interest as I have just bought my first set of shiny new skis.

Whilst in St Anton this year, my OH locked my daughter's brand new snowboard to his hire skis, but when we came out of the restaurant the combination lock wouldn't open when he put in the number, after trying for over half an hour it eventually opened using a different combination. Daughter and I thought he'd just forgotten, but when we got back to our chalet, we tried it again, and yet again in changed the combination to open it Confused

So I guess we now need a new lock . . . any sH recommendations ?
snow report
My daughter had a hired snowboard stolen in Val D'Isere last year - from outside a ski-shop at the bottom near the main shopping area. seemed very peculiar to us but not the the shop nor the police who treated it as an everyday thing. Very depressing and cost 100 euros excess on the travel insurance (the shop wanted 500 euros for the very second hand board)
ski holidays
I've been locking my ski's up for the last 4 years, yes you do get some comments, but at least mine are still here. Dont use a combination lock, get one with a key. 3 digit combinations take about 1 min to open

I have a small cable lock thats circular and by twisting it the cable winds into the hub. Extends to about 80cm. OK it wont stop someone equipped with cable cutters, but it will stop the casual thief or the "those look like mine" swap

Make sure you use WD40 heavily on the lock to keep moisture out and then it wont freeze and put the key on a large fob or one of those extending landyards so you dont loose it.

I normally also put the cable through as many of our groups skis as well so that the whole bundle is too big to cart off if there isnt anything to lock them too
latest report
With two young kids we rent skis as we've got too much luggage to carry between us as it is. I take out the shops insurance as it's only 2 euros a day, but admittedly I've not read their terms and conditions. Whenever we've had stuff break on us (kids boot clips always seem to go) they swap the item no bother. However, I wonder if it actually covers unlocked stolen items? Best check next time I hire!
snow report
Often these ski shop "insurance" things are actually a "guarantee not insurance" and come with a very hefty excess.

Better using 3-in-1 than WD40 in a lock, as WD40 evaporates.
ski holidays
WD40 contains "Mineral Oil" and leaves it behind. Its not far off 3-in-1 in a water repelling solvent

Main thing is not so much the lubrcan, but removing all moisture
latest report
WD = Water Displacement

I've got a combination lock and it's a feeble cable thing, but it's gonna put them off stealing mine and look for ones easier to steal. It only takes a minuute to put on plus I'd be able to demonstrate to police and insurance that I'd taken reasonable precautions.
snow conditions
Check The fine print! I had a pair of hire skis taken from the hotel ski room. Hoped it was an accident so got another pair for the day. They had been stolen so the following afternoon went and got the note from the hire shop, the letter from the hotel and the police report. The insurance wouldn't pay because I hadn't reported it within 24 hours Evil or Very Mad As if the police were going to look for them anyway! Beware ski rooms that use the same combination on the lock all season!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy