Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland for an English Family? Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any help/tips appreciated.

Problem

Wife now very pregnant- too pregnant to fly/for me to leave country.

Boys of the house (me and 2 sons 7 and 4) desperate to go skiing (again...went at new year with 7 yr old and then a long weekend).

Solution
Go skiing in Scotland!

But where? Looking for a base with easy access for skiing, other kids for children to play/ski with and comfy enough for Mrs Ed to have a nice time in.

Any ideas?? Probably looking at less than a week at Feb half term.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
edsilva, Hilton Hotel, Coylumbridge. Aviemore ski centre - 10/15 minutes. Hotel is completely child orientated with kids activities, soft play barn across carpark, swimming pool, dry slope/play area. There is beauty treatment room etc nearby. Failing that Macdonald hotel in Aviemore is similar, but with fewer activities for kids.

Obvious warnings about weather/snow conditions apply!

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's ok they'll let you in and let you out at the end wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
any more tips anyone??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
edsilva, limited choice really. All other resorts are miles from anywhere. Aviemore is the only "tourist" location on doorstep of a ski centre and there are only two decent hotel choices to meet your criteria - the two I have given.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
edsilva,
Try this link: http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/offers/ahroffers/winter-break.htm
I stayed there last night Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

£20 for the room... £7.50 per person breakfast...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lorenzo, thanks!! sad state of affairs then
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
edsilva, fraid so. Don't expect anything comparable to a trip abroad. We do not have ski resorts, merely ski centres for people to travel to for a day's ski-ing. That said the Hilton in particular is really popular as a family destination in its own right, even without the ski-ing. It would meet your criteria pretty well.
latest report
 brian
brian
edsilva,

As a La Grave veteran wink I reckon you'd be happiest in the west at Nevis/Glencoe. A few suggestions:

http://www.hollytreehotel.co.uk/ - going there this weekend so I'll let you know. We got a half price late deal.
http://www.islesofglencoe.com/ - haven't been in there for years but it's in a great spot, has pool etc.
http://www.inverlochycastlehotel.com/ - Michelin starred £££££
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hilton Coylumbridge near Aviemore (2 miles outta the village on the ski road) is EXCELLENT for familys, a big "Funworld" on site and a squad of childminders (from Funworld) who double as a babysitting service in the evenings. We got hitched there in April last year and encouraged all our guests to bring their little uns and make a holiday out of it.

Cairngorm Hotel in the village is good, but more of an adult place, lively bar etc.

If you're over in Glencoe, the Clachaig Inn is fab, not really a family place though. Isles of Glencoe is lovely but not a lot for the kids either. Dont know any places closer to Nevis (ie Fort William).

Glenshee and Lecht are in the middle of nowhere
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Boys of the house (me and 2 sons 7 and 4) desperate to go skiing (again

Being a resident of Northern England...within 2 hours THIS WEEKEND....you could be skiing Pennine powder at:

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/

http://www.skiweardale.co.uk/

Conditions are currently EPIC!!!! Go on!! You know it makes sense!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just come back from Glenshee, I am from derby and can honestly say it is the best of all scotland ski places, send me a pm and o can let u have the finer detail for travel, hotel etc, etc,.
Have done the other Scotland ski places but they fall short of glenshee when the snow is this good up there .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
woodwood, I agree that Glenshee is the best ski area in Scotland. However I would be interested in your suggestion for hotels. We only live a couple of hours from there, but would like to stay somewhere near to ski centre if there is somewhere suitable for families.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are simply 2choices, stay south of the ski centre or north. If the snow is likely to cause some road closure due to drifting, then the only safe option is to go north to the first village Braemar ( there is simply no accommodation closer to the slopes than here. Although a sleepy village, we stayed at the fife arms hotel, not a pub but a grand hotel with friendly staff, large log fire, bar and restaurant.when we stayed last week there was a coach full of school kids up for a week of skiing.
We had fresh snow every morning and the snow ploughs leave from braemar to open the road to the slopes. The southern approach up to the slope remained closed until late morning.
Fife arms £ 30 per adult pn Inc breakfast, plus £5.00 gets you a 4 course dinner !
To be honest I was a little worried to drive in the snow conditions, so was glad we found this hotel and it's position.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
South of the Glenshee skiing the nearest hotels are (I think) at the Spittal of Glenshee (hotel and bunkhouse) and Dalmunzie, which is more upmarket. You can find both with Google. As woodwood says, there is more risk of the road being blocked from the south.
snow report
 brian
brian
I like Glenshee and it has a lot of terrain but most of it's of the not overly exciting variety. Tiger and Glas Maol both great fun though. My personal Scottish ranking given equal snow/weather/queueing would be 1. Nevis 2.= Coe/Gorm 4. Glenshee 5. Lecht

Anyway, can report that:

http://www.hollytreehotel.co.uk/

... is pretty nice, in a beautiful location with views across Ardgour and is within 30 mins of both Nevis and Glencoe. The food is excellent with some really nice local produce (scallops, venison, stornoway black pudding etc. yum) and they have a wee pool with a sauna. Pretty child friendly too. We got a half price deal via laterooms.com, a 2 adults + 2 children room for £95 B&B pn. Phoned the hotel to query something and they were pretty keen to take the booking themselves at that price, s'pose it cuts out the middle man for them.
snow report
brian wrote:
I like Glenshee and it has a lot of terrain but most of it's of the not overly exciting variety. Tiger and Glas Maol both great fun though. My personal Scottish ranking given equal snow/weather/queueing would be 1. Nevis 2.= Coe/Gorm 4. Glenshee 5. Lecht

Would you still rank Nevis as 1. if the Braveheart was shut?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
kitenski, good question. Yes, I think so, with chancer, backtrack, etc. and the nid all complete.
snow report
Quote:

Would you still rank Nevis as 1. if the Braveheart was shut?

Yes, since you can ski to the car park (well short slide on bottom required after the fence) but nowhere else offers >1000m vertical! (yes that's m not ft).
latest report
brian wrote:
kitenski, good question. Yes, I think so, with chancer, backtrack, etc. and the nid all complete.

Ah, I see your point! I've never been to Nevis when those have been open and Braveheart hasn't! In situations where they are shut I found myself just doing laps of the Goose and Warrens, and wondering why I hadn't spent 2 days at Glencoe......

Cheers,

Greg
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy