Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Line Celebrity v Black Rose (women's prophet) for day touring

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Looking for some day-touring skis for my wife (5'10", 70kg). Skis on Phat Luvs most of the time and wants more than the Lotta Luvs (78 underfoot and 2.1kg each) for less weight. I reckon either the Movement Black Rose (88/1.6kg) or the Line Celebrity (90/1.6kg). We are in Chamonix and don't think anyone stocks Line. The Black Roses might be a bit too stiff.

Does anyone have any comments they can add or experience of these skis. Has anyone used Prohphet 90's with touring bindings as they are basically the same.

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
22 dropout,

The Movements are a female version of the Thunder, I believe, which has its fans as a tourer. It will be light and I have lighter friends who love it. With your wife's stats, I don't think it will be too stiff..This years graphics are the biz as well...

Read this for a Black rose review about half the page down or so...

http://mysnowsports.com/index.php?name=Blogs&mode=display&id=516
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, thanks. Movement becoming very popular here for touring given weight/performance combination. I'd love to here from someone who has tried the Celebrity but I think they're the hens' teeth of skis in Europe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm sure I have seen someone review the Lines on www.skidiva.com , there's certainly a lot more women there who are likely to have tried them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have Line Celebrity skis, but I'm not a tourer (or too hot on reviewing skis) so my views are maybe not much use to you. When I bought them they were cheap as chips, in UK (ex demo with rental bindings). Are they not available any more? I like them, good for a beginner off piste, and OK on piste except on real hardpack, where I struggle to hold an edge.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My wife has Movement Spicys, which are a bit narrower at 81 mm, but she only weighs 55 kg. They are light as a feather and she thinks they're great for just about everything. They've certainly given her confidence a boost going off piste. I've got a pair of Line Prophet 100s, which are also pretty light for their size and surprisingly nimble. Again they work pretty well in most conditions. They deal with any off-piste snow conditions and can be great fun charging on soft fresh pistes. No idea what they'd be like on hardpack, probably not so good. Build quality of the Movements is superb and the topsheet is very durable. Build quality of the Lines is okay, but nothing special. Some people think the cap construction is a bit cheap, but I don't have a problem with it myself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster, useful feedback on the Spicys. My Scott Rosas will reach the end of their life in due course so I'm beginning to look now at what could potentially replace them. JT has been trying to talk me into the Black Rose, but I think I might want sth with a smaller radius, especially as I'm really a beginner off piste still. Whilst my weight is nearer that of the OP's missus than yours, the Spicy could be of interest - even if its graphics are execrable compared with the Black Rose Wink I'll deffo have to try some Movement skis this season though I think
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have the Maya's replaced the Rosa's in Scott's range? They are supposed to be great but a bit too narrow for what we're looking for. Very good for touring apparently and, importantly, quite pretty.

There aren't many threads on women's skis on here.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
22 dropout, no, the Rosas are the female Mission and were made for one season only (06-07 IIRC)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, We thought the Black Roses might have been a bit too much, particularly at her weight and ability level as she's also a beginner off-piste. The Spicys have proved to be very confidence inspiring off piste and they are very stable at speed on piste too. She hasn't found any downside to these skis yet, although they haven't seen any hardpack.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uktrailmonster, The Spark is pretty good on hardpack so expect the Spicy's to be good there as well. As long as she has the lenght right, they will float ok... not so good, obviously, if you want to straighten up the lines somewhat.

The Spark is good for 40-60 on/off.. I'd still be tempted at the 89mm waste Black Rose...as long as she is decent enough on-piste.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't understand why Scott dropped the Rosa. Given how popular the Mission is a women's version would be both a great ski and a nice earner for Scott I'd have thought. It would be perfect for our needs, and, by the sounds of it others as well. They'd have to get the graphics right though...

JT. The Movement Thunders are ok on piste are they not?

UKtrailmonster. From experience if you are going off piste for real get a ski to grow into otherwise you'll want to change after a season.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
22 dropout, i have Line Celebritys and i love them. I havent used them with touring bindings but have trekked up volcanoes with them on my pack. I find them excellent off piste and good on piste although like pam w said they are harder work on hard pack.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
22 dropout wrote:

UKtrailmonster. From experience if you are going off piste for real get a ski to grow into otherwise you'll want to change after a season.

Why? What's wrong with Movement Spicys for 50/50 on/off piste? Especially for someone who weighs 55kg. She probably gets more float from 81mm wide skis than I do from 100+

Too much BS talked about fat off-piste skis IMHO. Maybe when she starts straight lining Alaskan peaks she'll benefit from something fatter and more biased toward pure off-piste. At the moment she's very happy with her Spicys and has no intention of swapping them any time soon.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Why? What's wrong with Movement Spicys for 50/50 on/off piste? Especially for someone who weighs 55kg. She probably gets more float from 81mm wide skis than I do from 100+

uktrailmonster. I don't see anyone or anything suggesting otherwise.
snow report
22 dropout, Better than Sparks on piste and will respond to a bit of input. Movement's flagship all mountain ski..think lighter Outlaw.

In the same bracket as M88, Mythic Rider, MX88 as a go anywhere, do anything, but Movement promote it as a tourable option as well. Versatile as eggs..??

uktrailmonster, I think the Spicy is a well thought out choice...I don't know why a lot more women don't ski them.. The Spark is a cracking ski, and the Spicy is a female version, almost
snow report
22 dropout, Sorry thought your comment I quoted was implying that Spicys are not a "proper" ski to grow into.
snow report
JT, She's had 3 weeks skiing her Spicys now and really lovin' em. It's been powder and fresh piste all the way and these have not held her back anywhere. Quite the opposite, they've helped her improve quite a bit. If she was heavier and skiing challenging off piste then the Black Roses would be a better choice, but I don't think she needs the extra width or stiffness with her stats. Think she's found her ideal ski in the Spicy.
ski holidays
So, I got to try out a handful of different skis last week in the 3V - Movement Chicka, Zag Lady Gold, Movement Spicy and Scott Maya. Day 1 - Chicka and Zag, Day 2 - Spicy and Maya. Was pretty tired on both days. Like pam w I'm crap at reviewing skis. I could ski all the skis OK, but liked some better than others

Chicka 168 - stiffer than I think I like. Needs to be skied quite hard, needs more commitment than I want to have to put in all the time. Didn't encourage me to do anything variable that I wouldn't hesitate to tackle on the Rosas. The more I skied them the less I liked them.

Lady Gold 165 - initially liked them better than the Chicka, but much like the Chicka, didn't encourage me to relax or go anywhere near my own boundaries. Again, the more I skied them the more I wanted to get off them. Difficult when you're comparing with a ski you love

Spicy 153 - too short for me, initially didn't have the confidence to pick up any speed because of the length, but fun and definitely gave me the confidence to play in bumps and a little bit of choppy crusty stuff (too tired to do so properly so stayed more on piste). Gradually picked up some, and then a lot of, speed and they were remarkably stable despite the short length. Also handled the harder, icier patches with aplomb. Liked them more the more I skied them. Need to try these in a 163 and in powder I think

Maya 155 - my friend had hired these for the week so we swapped skis for an hour or so. Had I not skied the Spicy I'd have liked these, although the waist is narrower than I'm looking for. However, again, eventually just wanted to get off them and back onto the Spicy or Rosa. I'd give them house room, but would always be hankering after something else

I'm basically rather lazy and I've come to the conclusion I like a slightly softer (but not noodly) ski on which I can adjust nuances of skidding and edging, turn a side slip into a carve and vice versa at will, whilst still being having stability at speed. I want to be able to, but not have to, ski hard.

I think I need to try the Spicy in a longer length and in powder. The owner of our local ski shop, who both stocks Movements and is a qualified mountain guide, is running a powder course next week that I'm booked on, so that might be the apposite opportunity. So on current experience, the Spicy is the leading contender to replace the Rosas when they die. Oh and the graphics are much nicer in the flesh than on the web Wink
snow report
eng_ch wrote:

I think I need to try the Spicy in a longer length and in powder. The owner of our local ski shop, who both stocks Movements and is a qualified mountain guide, is running a powder course next week that I'm booked on, so that might be the apposite opportunity. So on current experience, the Spicy is the leading contender to replace the Rosas when they die. Oh and the graphics are much nicer in the flesh than on the web Wink

My wife has 163 cm Spicys (she's only 5'5" and 55kg). I can't think who would suit 153 cm Spicys, apart from small children? I agree the graphics look way better in real life and really stand out in the snow. The topsheets don't scratch either (and I mean not at all), so they still look great after many weeks of use. I suspect you'll like them in the powder, it's what they were made for really. They've certainly helped my wife develop her off-piste skiing.
snow report
uktrailmonster, the shop only had a 153 or I would never have considered it!! As I said, I could feel the lack of length (given that I've spent the last 2 1/2 years skiing on a 168) but was pleasantly surprised at the stability. I suspect the 163 could be really confidence-inspiring

ETA: hmm, it seems he has no 163s left, so suggested I try a Yaka Jam. Got to be good for a laff I guess
ski holidays
eng_ch, Did you see High Altitude last week? I noticed the guest bird doing the heli-skiing was on Yaka Jams.
latest report
uktrailmonster, yep, I did and now mention it yes I did clock that
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy