Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rubbish at packing!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going away on Saturday morning for a week to Italy and flying with Ryanair. I am trying to get my hold baggage as close to or just under 15kg (to include my ski boots) and get my cabin baggage as close to or just under 10kg - I am just rubbish at packing and everything just looks like a dog's dinner! (I'd probably be better packing a dog's dinner - that way I would be more than under weight!!!!).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure someone here has a laminated packing list you could use, perhaps with diagrams showing the packing layout wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero-G, you must find it difficult, in your environment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would be tempted to show you my packing list but it's a bit embarassing..... and by a bit i mean alot Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was thinking that you would pack an item and it would float away. I once had to pack a load of helium balloons in the back of a car. Not easy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You say you are with ryanair, in which case your boots are with your ski gear, and not within your 15kg.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobW wrote:
You say you are with ryanair, in which case your boots are with your ski gear, and not within your 15kg.

...... and pack toiletries, thermals, gloves, socks etc etc.... whatever you can fit.... into bootbag!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avago wrote:
RobW wrote:

...... and pack toiletries, thermals, gloves, socks etc etc.... whatever you can fit.... into bootbag!! Toofy Grin

Boots are going into the main suitcase along with everything else. 15kg in the hold and 10kg in hand luggage.

I've now taken everything out and laid it on the bed and will deal with it when I come home from work tomorrow!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last season's week-long trip saw me pack something along the lines of this:

Salopettes, jeans, base layers x2, t-shirts x4, sweaters x2, trainers, socks x6, undies x7, cosmetics, toothbrush, hairbrush, gloves, goggles, hat, buff, all in hold bag weighing approx 7 kg. Boot bag contained boots and towels weighing approx 5 kg. Hand luggage contained; money, passport, tickets, insurance docs, book, change of undies, t-shirt, meds, keys, phone, charger & ipod, weighing very little. I seriously couldn't think of owt else I actually needed...

If you regularly travel by motorcycle, you learn to travel light. Works for me... Very Happy

Happy packing and have a great trip...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman,

If you have to transport helium balloons ever again, put a bunch of them in black bin bags first, far easier to handle.

I'm good at fitting everything in the case, with not a spare cm, but I do take everything bar the kitchen sink. I take 14 pairs of socks, one for day one for night, but the ski tubes had to go as they took up far too much room...I don't find my feet get cold in normal socks anyway.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I managed to buy a hand luggage sized cloth holdall from Ikea for the princely some of £7. Fits the precise max dimensions for Ryanair and also can accomodate my ski boots perfectly, leaving a little room for a few bits and pieces - heavy stuff like jeans and sweatshirts. Absolutely bang on the 10kg max limit. Needless to say I was pretty chuffed with my handywork Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jb1970, have you packed any smittens?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jb1970, Have almost got the 15kg including boots in suitcase down to a fine art. Lay out all the clothes you think you need, then take half...Buy toileteries like shower gel and shampoo out there. Take 2 or 3 wickers and a tiny bottle of liquid clothes washing stuff and wash and wear alternately. Take make up removers etc in tiny bottles. I have to maintain I have never been sat in a chairlift or on a gondola where I have thought 'god the person next me stinks' [unless of course my stench has drowned theirs out Laughing ]

It doesn't matter if it looks like a rats nest in your case. It just has to be in it. Roll everything up tight. Stuff as much as you can into the volume of your boots.

I gave up taking spare 'nice clothes' cos when you go for something to eat if you eat out generally noone else is dressed up, so why bother?
Good luck.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can't understand the difficulty.

I get all my kit and boots in a bag, (have a small backpack mainly for my helmet, goggles and travel docs) and easily get undet Jet2's 17kg limit.

Do some people have a different outfit for every evening or something?
latest report
Mosha Marc,

Yep!
snow report
Why?
ski holidays
I was 23 kgs flying out this year with my 6kg boots. My bag weighs nearly 2.5kgs empty so that kinda screws me a bit. 3 "evening outfits" is what i bring
snow conditions
One week, one pair of strides (worn not packed) and four shirts. Sorted. weighs next to bugger all.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc,

Because I have two children and always end up with chocolate mousse, jus de pomme etc all down me! But I am an over packer, that's for sure.
latest report
Mosha Marc, going commando then? Shocked
snow report
Mosha Marc,

...and I refuse to do hand washing on any holiday!
snow report
HH, even after you've...
snow conditions
Jo225, a true scotsman never lets on.

But I'm not, so I do have an array of things to wear under my strides wink Twisted Evil

HH, OK. I'll let you take a spare pair of jeans.
ski holidays
jb1970, As someone on here once said five grand cash and a packet of benson's is all you need, and if you don't smoke I think you could get bye with the five grand.
ski holidays
laundryman,

Very effective moisturiser...one less thing to pack...
latest report
jb1970, You have my sympathy - I've got a hatchback car that will be filled next Thursday and already I am looking at what I am getting ready and panicking that it won't all fit.
snow report
Packing all done and, according to my case weighing machine thingy - I'm about 14kg in my hold bag (boots are in there) and 8kg in my cabin baggage. I don't even think I have that much stuff. Ryanair almost expect you to go on holiday practically naked!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought I had my ski packing sorted but I need to work out how to pack 2 newly bought helmets in my luggage. I have previously packed my boots in the suitcases so as not to pay extra for additional luggage such as boot bags.

Does anyone have any tips?
ski holidays
I've never had to pay extra for a boot bag, only skis. If you take a separate boot bag, won't your lids fit in your suitcase...?

You should be fine as long as you're not over your weight limit. I think most are 20kg it's only Ryanair that are 15kg but their flights are cheaper so you can't have it both ways...
latest report
Stuff your helmets with socks, pants, thermals etc then they wont take up much room at all in your suitcase.
ski holidays
SCollier1 wrote:
I thought I had my ski packing sorted but I need to work out how to pack 2 newly bought helmets in my luggage. I have previously packed my boots in the suitcases so as not to pay extra for additional luggage such as boot bags.

Does anyone have any tips?

Wear your helmet on the plane and see how many people look at you with worried faces Laughing
latest report
We went through Liverpool and Geneva, via Easyjet, a week ago with a boot bag as hand luggage. No attempts by us to conceal it and no-one questioned it. May be the luck of the draw though.....
ski holidays
jb1970, Good work! That leaves you 1kg to take account of the kilo of sweat you'll take back in your boots in a week Laughing snowHead

I am absolutely certain that Ryanair WILL be the first to start weighing passengers... Evil or Very Mad Shocked Sad
snow conditions
Quote:

I am absolutely certain that Ryanair WILL be the first to start weighing passengers...

personally Im in favour of a total weight restriction. Air lines should give you a total flight weight and how you split it is your choice, obviously rotund people will have to take less luggage - me Ive no idea what else I could take Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Skin n Bones, quit your jibber-jabber, fool.
snow report
Bones, Naked flying for me then Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Go by train - no luggage restrictions, and half the price of Ryan Air for half-term week. Or consider coach. As we're self-catering and broke I am probably going to pack tea bags, peanut butter, and marmite which will add to the weight. . . .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy