Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how soon to ski with cracked rib?

Poster: A snowHead
A "friend of mine" cracked a rib on an icy staircase 12 days ago. Breathing never a problem, laughing, coughing and getting out of bed allegedly tiresome most of last week. Now there's little discomfort - and no excuse for wonderfully trippy painkillers Sad

In the snowheads collective medical wisdom, how soon can "he" go skiing?

This weekend? Little Angel Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If " your friend" takes it easy and sticks to easier slopes, i say go for it!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I strongly suspect "a friend of mine" cracked a rib Wednesday before last falling on piste (got highsided by a mogul he couldn't see due to very flat light and fell onto his pole). Very similar symptons to those you describe, although still quite uncomfortable now. Didn't stop "him" having a great time skiing really very aggressively throughout the next 10 days, although "he" may have aggravated it last Thursday when "he" found it extremely difficult to pole plant on the left hand side.

Basically, don't take painkillers (pain is there for a reason), and if it hurts too much, then back off a bit.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 5-02-09 18:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name,

I got broken ribs or torn cartlidge courtesy of the Met Police when I played football against them Puzzled Puzzled and went skiing 3 days later.

Falls were agony as was any movement on that side inc sleep, so I was in a much worse state than your friend.... probably.. I think he will be ok, it may be painful if/when he falls..Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did exactly the same thing last Jan-slipped at the top of a concrete stairway and stopped at the bottom by my ribs on a concrete planter.Very painful but 2 weeks later I managed Face du Bellevarde and off-pisty routes no prob.Just try not to fall on the sore ribs.Tell "him" to be a man and get on with it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, dunno anything about mythical collective medical wisdom, but a friend of mine cracked a rib after a bad fall on rollerblades a few years back (choice: fast speed=big air, or throw self on soft grass? throw self on soft grass chosen but missed so throw self on hard tarmac resulted), after a bit of whining, just bought new phone and got on with things within the limits of comfort (and antiinflammatories)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
3 words! DOUBLE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wiped out on a mogul field in Jackson Hole in 2001 and cracked a couple of ribs when my pole bent at right angles in to my rib cage -ouch!!! This was on the second day of a 2 week holiday. I just got on with it -my wife had to help me out of bed in the mornings as I stiffened up overnight -as the days progressed I loosened up and was able to ski about 70%of my usual ability levels.Pain killers during the day and plenty of beer in the evenings helped me along.Probably not what the medical experts would advise but we are ard up North and don't make a song and dance over such fortunes - I would still do the same if it ever happened again -you just ski a little more leisurely and take no big risks. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did one of mine on the first day of a trip. Luckily a couple of my skiing pals are docs and painkillers are the only real treatment.
Your skiing should be fine but avoid sneezing at all costs !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I broke 3 ribs in a karting race... and thanks to ibruprofen, paracetamol and codamine skied 10 days later................... felt and skied shite though!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I fell onto a sharp object and possibly cracked a rib. Very painfull when laughing etc. Was rollerskiing within a week, taking it easy. Rollerskied a lot the next week and it was sore the next day, but all seemed to heal OK within about 4 weeks. I'd go skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My husband cracked his ribs several years ago, one week before we were due to go ski-ing. As above, take some pain killers, try not to fall and you'll be fine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, your friend should beware of poling along the flats - it will be v painful. I suspect he also needs a holiday. I skied last week with an ankle injury, it was murder not being able to ski the fresh powder, but I had a really mellow time on piste and a good hol. "He" won't be able to damage the ribs unless "he" has a major wipeout, because they are self splinting with lots of support from adjacent ribs and muscle. Good non sedating painkillers (Script from your quack?) and DO STICK TO THE PRESCRIBED DOSE unless you (edit "he") fancy stomach ulcers, liver failure etc.scrubyjoe, wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

wonderfully trippy painkillers

more info, please. I feel a bit of a sore something coming on..... wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, cocodomal 30/500 Very Happy
latest report
Ha ha ha, ROFLOL, thankfully I didn't post this last week when they were bl**dy painful; thanks all for excellent and wonderfully funny advice.

Skiing it is then.

pam w, Ask for "Tramal" (Tramadol chlorhydrate (?)) - was prescribed 4 a day, found I could easily get by on one and sell the other three to the little tinkers lurking outside the apartment block for a few francs. Plus taking 4g of paracetamol and 2,400 mg of ibuprofen evenly spaced over the day. Plus a few Leffes of an evening. Plus a couple of Nexiums to counteract the ibuprofens and Leffes.

Have been "clean" for 2 days now...
snow report
I should also point out that I caught a cold 4 days in with all the coughing and sneezing that it normally entails...talk about timing?? Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Better be careful your friend doesn't catch it!
snow report
I broke 2 ribs on very first morning of xc skiing once. I carried on for the rest of the week with a combination of gin & strong painkillers Toofy Grin
snow conditions
under a new name, I broke three ribs falling on my hand (see also - Broken Hand Thread). I would give it at least 10 minutes between breaking ribs and skiing Very Happy
snow report
GrahamN, pain is certainly there for a reason, as you have unjured something, but that is no reason to avoid painkillers. Why put yourself through possible torture?
snow report
Helen Beaumont, if you're killing the pain then you're more lilkely to push through it and aggravate the injury. OK, I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, so I may go for lesser pain relief - but I just think that the pain feedback mechanism is useful as a damage limiter.
ski holidays
GrahamN rest and pain relief is by far the better option. If you take pain relief it doesn't 'kill' all of the pain anyway. If you move in a way that aggravates the injury, it should still hurt. Possibly not as much, but you should still have an indicator that you are overdoing it.
latest report
It depends on the situatin. If on a ski holiday, just ski right through it. If already planned and paid for go for it. If you paid for a whole day ticket and can't get a refund keep skiing. If you want a broken bone to heal quickly, I would give it three days rest while trying to move it as little as practicable to properly start mending, and then take it easy for a couple of months. I once re-injured some ribs heaving on a friends car a month after originally damaging them. Back to square one Sad
snow report
Ghost, bog coughing fit yesterday afternoon meant that even if I'd brought my kit up it wouldn't have been fun. Next weekend...
snow report
under a new name, Straight away if you're careful. the worst thing about cracked/broken/ bruised ribs is that everything in the world is suddenly unbearably funny ... Sad Sad Sad
latest report
If you love skiing a broken rib or two is not going to stop you even if it may not be wise. I fell on my old fat mobile phone stored in a iconed, dedicated phone pocket in my ski jacket. It was perfectly placed for me to break my lower ribs. Maybe I should have sued the garment makers Puzzled Skiing was not too uncomfortable but excruciating if I had to pole. As said before you need to avoid coughing so chest infections are a no no. My next trip was 4 weeks after and if anything I had more pain but I was not going to forego a ski trip. Maybe stupid, but I got away with it. Smile
latest report
My mate went ice climbing (more of a scramble really) with me without telling me that he had 2 cracked ribs. Then a few weeks later I saw him cock up a jump on a mountian bike and fly over the bars. He made a good high pitched squeal as he landed Laughing

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 9-02-09 22:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tell your 'friend' to man up and get on with it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy