Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fashion/image/speed war breaks out between skier-cross teams (are tight pants stupid?)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver/Whistler are likely to see skier-cross (multiple start ski racing based on motocross) playing a prominent role on TV. The event breaks with ski racing conventions by offering viewers head-to-head tactical battles between competitors on the course, involving less emphasis on the clock.

But a war has broken out between teams and the FIS about the specifications for race-suits. North American competitors prefer something cool and esoteric, while European racers are pushing for the aerodynamic advantages of tight racing suits. The FIS are trying to lay down the rules, and are getting some stick.

This report from Globe and Mail [Canada]

Quote:
... the Europeans showed up in tight pants.

"They look so stupid," said Stanley Hayer, one of Canada's top ski-cross racers and the 2009 Winter X Games champion. "They're going to ruin it for the sport."

What do you expect skier-cross skiers to pose in?
Could tight pants ruin it for you?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 5-02-09 12:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, your link goes back to the Andy Campbell story.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. Have corrected the link.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same as the discussion in DH MTB. They'll end up wearing what they can win in. Personally I think skinny GS type skis look pretty foolish, but I still wouldn't try and race on fat twintips.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, thanks. I'm with the Europeans. A racer should wear what he can win in, as Cunners puts it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why not let them wear what they want - the baggy trouser brigade will soon change when they see that aerodynamically clothed skiers are faster Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rather look good and come 2nd then win and look a gimp. But thats why I don't race.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobinS, absolutely. What on earth has it to do with FIS?

papasmurf, I don't race because coming 2nd would be overachieving, and I'd still look a gimp whatever the clothing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As stated in the post there are FIS equipment regulations specifying that clothing worn for skiercross has to be sufficiently 'baggy'. You can argue if it's a stupid rule or not but I would consider trying to get round the rules with tighter suits in certain unmeasured places and non-permeable-air suits (not permitted in normal alpine racing for safety reasons) certainly against the spirit of the rules. FIS should either tighten the rules or scrap them altogether and replace them with the standard downhill suit rules. Hybrid suits will look really daft.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JimW wrote:
What on earth has it to do with FIS?

It's the governing body, so it governs all aspects of equipment and clothing in any racing it governs. There's no reason why they couldn't 'down-specify' the aerodynamics of the skiwear and rule out anything tight-fitting.

They've done it in conventional Alpine skiing in terms of fabrics, where super-slick ski suits were considered too dangerous in a fall. If the clock isn't important, because the racing is essentially head-to-head, then the North American racers would seem to have a point - make the sport visually and presentationally distinctive in every way.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is it a sport or is it a fashion parade? I thought the roots of freeskiing and snowboarding were counter-culture and anti-image, but now they're trying to dictate terms on what people can wear to protect their own image? Oh the irony Smile Skiercross will be just as exciting and watchable if the skiers wore racing suits. Boardercross/boarder halfpipe may look more odd because people aren't used to boarders in racing suits.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hold on a mo, fit muscley skier chaps in skin-tight lycra...? How can anyone ever consider a baggy alternative...? Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
God skiers are turing into borders where fashion is more important than what they are doing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I was talking to an ex US youth racer who said he switched to ski cross so he did not have to wear Lycra and now this. I am sure some comrimise will be reached but I just dont think lycra would look right on a ski cross race Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is nudity REALLY beyond the pale in this situation?

*rings up Chemmy to see if she fancies trying yet another discipline*
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So these 'baggy' rules then... does it go

1.1.4 para 4 sub clause 2 " All dudes will look sufficently sick to ensure any radical stoke gets appreciation that is well massive ".

or something like that?

I couldn't wear a fartbag in case it is deemed too non counter-cultural?

To try and dictate what you can (as opposed to what you can't) wear seems a little ott to me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy