Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet debate reaches BBC Breakfast!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
thefatcontroller, The tangled parachute. That was bizarre that the presenters really made nothing of it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
erica2004, Ddi 3 parachute jumps and they were terrifying enough, there are nicer ways to see Swansea bay Skullie Skullie . If I had looked up and seen a tangled chute I think I would have had a heart attack
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems that every kid in France now wears helmets and it's only a matter of time before some grow into instructors - will they stop wearing a helmet then? Not likely. In ten years time I think that these threads will be entitled "why do you not wear a helmet"?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All the ski instructors of SchiSchule WilderKaiser in St Johann, Austria wear helmets and have done for the last few years.
I'm just back from there and there seemed to be a lot of people wearing helmets.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing particularly to do with helmets as such, but the Inghams rep on the transfer bus back to the airport yesterday in Austria was saying they have always worked on the basis of approximately 1 injury for each 100 clients (seemed like he'd been a rep for years). This year it seemed to be 3 or 4 for each 50 clients. They didn't really know why but it was evident across all the resorts
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from St Anton where approximately 9/10 people were wearing helmets. You get a lot of incredulous looks in the gondola if you're armed with just a wooly hat as I was. Most instructors were also wearing helmets, regardless of whether they were teaching children or adults. I could certainly feel the wind of change blowing in!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I generally wear a helmet, but was pursuaded one day not to as the skiing would be gentle, ended up in casualty having my head glued together Laughing

A few coaches have pursuaded me to try skiing without a helmet some days, on the basis that I am a fairly timid skier and taking the helmet off will take away some of that timidity and make me feel braver, hence skiing a bit faster. No doubt, they were right, those few helmetless days are great, I feel invincible as I don't need to protect myself, I'm fearless.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pdaley wrote:
Just back from St Anton where approximately 9/10 people were wearing helmets. You get a lot of incredulous looks in the gondola if you're armed with just a wooly hat as I was. Most instructors were also wearing helmets, regardless of whether they were teaching children or adults. I could certainly feel the wind of change blowing in!

I find it hard to believe that there has been such a major switch over from last year (nor can I believe that people were so rude as to give incredulous looks). Even so, I shall try to find time to look at the webcams tomorrow - to see for myself.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was in Ischgl 2 weekends ago and saw very few skiers with helmets. There were 9 of us including 3 boaders and only one of them had a helmet, I thought they all would. Alos I was in St Antn 2 seasons ago and did not notice that many there then.

Have my own one that I bought last year but stopped wearing it as a pain when bringing it along for weekends, as I just travel with a pully bag with my boots ( I fly Ryanair alot and have mastered now getting my boots and gear all in one 10kg bag, all down to ultra lite pully) and minimum gear. But.... I saw this chap wipe out just in front of me and he smacked his head big time off the piste and was out cold for a minute or two. He was totally out cold and never seen that before and it shocked me... Stopped, helped where I could, and after 10 minutes he was back up and on his way..... After that I thought start wearing your helmet again and just pay the extra for a hold bag.... Off this weekend for 3 days and helmet out ready to be packed. The most serious accident I have had was when somebody out of control hit me. That made buy a helmet... Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think that my youngest son owes his life to his helmet, the oldest has had 2 serious crashes where I'm sure it saved a bad knock to the head at least. I have worn one since the guy in the room next to us didn't wake up in the morning (or ever again) after hitting his head the previous day.

Someone said it doesn't stop concussion as there's not enough padding. I'm not sure, I think it could do. The biggest benefit seems to be that it spreads a point load over a wider area. The head is still hit, there's still a neck injury from a heavy blow to the head, but the impact is wider. My son was hit by a ski edge across his head at 30+ mph by a skier behind him falling in the same hole he fell in, landing on him then sliding over him, hitting his head with skis on the way over. This would have been a bit like taking the top off a boiled egg without the helmet I think.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Someone said it doesn't stop concussion as there's not enough padding. I'm not sure, I think it could do.

I was told this by someone who did extensive research into helmet use after a fatal accident. The padding would need to be about a metre thick.

Quote:

My son was hit by a ski edge across his head at 30+ mph by a skier behind him falling in the same hole he fell in, landing on him then sliding over him, hitting his head with skis on the way over. This would have been a bit like taking the top off a boiled egg without the helmet I think.

Totally agree that a helmet would have prevented a major injury here - this is exactly what they're for, direct impact, and why I wear one.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy