Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet debate reaches BBC Breakfast!

Poster: A snowHead
Sometime this morning on BBC1's Breakfast, they'll be discussing helmets, and whether they should be compulsory!

Just saw a teaser for a piece that is due to follow this morning.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I watch TV without wearing a helmet
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The usual in depth sound bite reporting such as

' Would you wear a helmet if it was compulsory..'

answered by

'Err... yes '
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I laughed when they talked to the Ski Club GB rep, who was standing there holding her snowboard. Bet that had some cornflakes coughed across the breakfast table in Surrey.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was the reporter when skiing down the slope and introducing the piece wearing a helmet?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Was the reporter when skiing down the slope and introducing the piece wearing a helmet?

No Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bar shaker, Thought not Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unanimus "No's" to wearing a helmet unless going in the park or into the back country (including the Ski Club of GB girl)!

How do they inforce the rule of under 15's wearing helmets in Italy and how could they inforce a blanket rule of wearing helmets elsewhere?

I personally don't wear/own a helmet but other family members do (the adult's main reason is to encorage the kids).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saw this "informative" piece too. Why they don't take the US route where Helmets are compulsory in the Parks (the girl left brain damaged in the piece had been in the park when it happened). I've worn a lid since a mate got concussed and lost the remainder of his holiday. I just treat it as an insurance policy, has saved the ol' coconut on a couple of occasions.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helmets don't protect against concussion (they're not padded enough), they protect against impact, i.e. with skis, rocks, rails etc. For that reason I wear one.

Sorry, should this comment be on the other thread?!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here we go again rolling eyes Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well beats Dr Hilary Jones on t'other channel anyway. A very topical subject to fill the air time
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nah, not going to rise to the bait. Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker wrote:
I laughed when they talked to the Ski Club GB rep, who was standing there holding her snowboard. Bet that had some cornflakes coughed across the breakfast table in Surrey.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A recent ski holiday discussion re helmets came to the conclusion that ski insurance companies will probably soon refuse to insure/pay out unless helmets are worn.
latest report
Janska, rolling eyes Meaningless unless it was from insurance companies. Laughing
ski holidays
Interestingly, all four UIAGM guides I was skiing with the last two weeks wore helmets, except for one who didn't when the day was principally touring. Last year, IIRC, it was the exception rather than the rule.
ski holidays
I watched the recent episode of 'High Altitude'. Graham Bell and his sidekick were taking Jodie Kidd heli-skiing. None of them wore helmets. Shocked
latest report
If a helmet reduces the chance of me getting hurt seriously by even 5% then thats good enough for me. Will be buying one in the off season.

I hate the "helmet debate" nearly as much as the "ski boots on the plane" one!! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
scrubyjoe, then don't carry it on. BTW a, helmet in the off-season is even less use than one in the ski season. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I've seen him wear them when he's hammering the downhill, Ed Leigh too when he's been boarding.
snow report
Here's a sight you don't often see.
snow report
rob@rar, true. Christian was wearing one at the last MSB, though.
ski holidays
achilles, he's the only ESF instructor I've ever seen wearing a helmet. He was teaching toddlers, BTW, not a high performance group.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

Those look rather short skis.
snow report
achilles, I cant resist it. Im pretty sure i given my 2 cents on the ski boots in hand luggage debate too Madeye-Smiley When will i learn! Well i am snowed in here and i have nothing better to do. Can you bring ski boots in your hand luggage actually? Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Graham Bell and his sidekick were taking Jodie Kidd heli-skiing. None of them wore helmets.

By implication, the route may have not been particuarly difficult for anyone except Ms Kidd and not 'dangerous'. They have done on other shoots. There is also the televisual angle in play here.
Not that I would make helmets compulsory for adults. I agree with manicpb, advisable for park or 'extreme' skiing where falling and hitting immovable objects is a more likely occurrence.
The movable objects also worry me, so I see the sense of helmets for children too - though I am prepared to let mine out with just the padded hats if they are not racing or in the park.
snow conditions
beequin wrote:
Quote:

Graham Bell and his sidekick were taking Jodie Kidd heli-skiing. None of them wore helmets.

By implication, the route may have not been particuarly difficult for anyone except Ms Kidd and not 'dangerous'.

You obviously missed the fottage of the avalanche taking place about 40 feet away from them they never even noticed Skullie Shocked Jodie was way out of her depth on that run.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Those look rather short skis.

Salomon 3V Labs I think.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
You obviously missed the fottage of the avalanche taking place about 40 feet away from them they never even noticed Skullie Shocked Jodie was way out of her depth on that run.
I'm looking forward to the episode when they actually kill a celebrity. First week they attempt to romp Noel Baxter up Mont Blanc immediately after he steps off a plane from the UK (not clever). Then, this week, a wobbly Jodie Kidd tells the camera that she hasn't skied for years but is taken straight up to some terrain where she was clearly way out of her depth. The avalanche chat was a nonesense... "ski over to the bit that isn't sliding" or something like that was said. I hate watching TV programs through the gaps between fingers.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Don't forget Ralf Little and the tangled parachute Skullie
latest report
Until its made compulsory NO Helmets.

Insurance companies will do anything to take your money & not payout.

Next will be checking that your Skis & Boards are tuned and serviced everyday, you got zero alcohol in your body (mornings), your wearing indestructible bullet prove goggles or sunglasses Very Happy

During a fall Skiing with ruksak can be dangerous as well.?

When insurance premiums become to high, people will just not bother to get insured.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I vote for Jonathan Ross.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, The avalanche off the side was explained quite well, I thought, and was on a much steeper slope. Was Jodie out of her depth at that point or just a little rusty? The programme is clearly aimed at showing that these activities are not totally safe.
snow conditions
stanton, You forgot seatbelts and airbags for sleds
ski holidays
beequin, IMO I think she was well out of her depth and she knew it. Great experience for her but without the TV program being made and TV crews on hourly rates sitting around would it have happened?
latest report
stanton, Laughing sounds about right to me...
snow conditions
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

but without the TV program being made and TV crews on hourly rates sitting around would it have happened?

I agree, the answer has to be no.
snow report
No comment required

latest report
I wanted to send an email to Breakfast this morning, but I was too busy getting ready to go skiing! (without a helmet). wink Can't comment on Jody Kidd, but now she's stopped being a supermodel she's doing quite well isn't she? BTW she must have skied as a child as well as riding - family background etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy