Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Zealand glacier "growing 3 metres a day"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand, is countering global trends by growing significantly. Although the glacier retreated 550m between 1999 and 2003 is it currently advancing by 3m per day, causing hikers' paths to be wiped out.
Climate scientist Jim Salinger attributes the movement to continued cold and stormy weather, which has caused a buildup of snow and ice at the head of the glacier.

Photo: www.AlpineRecreation.co.nz ...

This report from Stuff.co.nz.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-01-05 20:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thats good to here .. after all the doom and gloom, lets just hope the Northern Glaciers can recover form the battering they've taken. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just like to say....told ya so (re: previous post on Northern/Southern glacier behaviour, which I can't be arsed finding the link to) Toofy Grin Northern ones will start growing again - jus' give 'em time. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is, of course, no surprise to anyone not taken in by the enviro-loonies.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only 'enviro-loonies' around are those who believe the human race can just go on polluting the atmosphere with blind disregard to the consequences.

Explain the almost-certain truth that Africa will lose its only snowcap, on Mount Kilimanjaro, within 20 years.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 18-01-05 21:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, I bet you a slap-up meal that in 20 years time that snow cap has not gone. Both of us old but fit so we should be around in 20 years time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You're on, John, so long as you're not expecting me to carry the Fortnums hamper to 5895m to verify the evidence.

I look forward to meeting you on 18 January 2025.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Will this be a snowHeads meet we can all join in on?

It's pretty cold at the top of Kilimanjaro, -17C when I did it. I don't think the glacier melts so much as sublimes (evaporates straight from the solid state). The main factor to the survival of the glacier would be the amount of snowfall, and this is not necessarily dependent on global temperatures. Well, probably is dependent, but I'm not one to say how it is dependent. Is there any record of it ever raining at the summit? That would prove it's getting too warm, but I think warming will have to go a long way to cancel out -17C (that was early morning temperature).

Best of luck chaps, I wouldn't like to bet one way or the other.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
john wells, David Goldsmith, will you be dining at the summit?

I've been doing a little googling, and it looks like it could be a nail-biter!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Prefer dining at a decent french restaurant in the alps - we can get someone else to check the snow cap.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
More on the advance of the Franz Josef Glacier from tomorrow's (sic) New Zealand Herald.
Quote:

A glacier in a state of advance is a different terrain to one in retreat. The pressure of the rapid growth causes the ice to "open like a zip", says Franz Josef Glacier Guides manager Mark Mellsop.

"So from one day to the next the changes are quite marked. A stepline you might have made will become impassable because the ice has split and fallen in, so you have to be able to predict what will happen a couple of days out."
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy