Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Numb toes - nerve damage?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I still have numb toes in my left foot one week after coming back from a ski trip. First noticed it after about the third day's skiing so tried keeping the buckles loose for the rest of the trip as initially thought it was a circulation problem. When it didn't go away in the evening I started to think it must be something else. Now that it has n't gone away after a week I'm pretty sure it must be nerve damage. The condition has definetly improved and will probably clear up in a week or so at this rate but I don't imagine that this is a helathy thing to put my feet through every trip!

I have very flat feet and have custom insoles which I have previously used in my ski touring boots with no problems. The boots were new (Nordica Speed Machine 10 in a 29.5), purchased from Snow + Rock in Covent Garden. Numbness is only in the left foot which is the larger of the two by about a quarter size. I can still get 1.5-2 fingers down behind the heel without the liner so they're definetly not too short. I noticed whilst skiing that I tend to clench my toes. This seems a common problem reading some of the other threads here and may be a contributing factor. I also noticed some pain between the achilles and the inside of the ankle. This apparently is where the Tibia nerve runs so perhaps I had the upper buckles too tight?

Currently deciding whether to go back to Snow and Rock for some boot alterations so was hoping that somebody else might have experienced this type of problem and could suggest a cure (boot alterations, keeping buckles looser, stop clenching toes.) javascript:emoticon('Puzzled')

Thanks,

Jamie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jamie,

difficult to say without seeing the boot and your foot, but it sounds like either there is too much volume which you are trying to take up by tightening down the clips lots or there is not enough volume somewhere, first thing i would try is doing them loosely and seeing if it is better

define fingers BTW they don't come in standard sizes wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jamieo, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My S.I. standardised fingers convert 1.5-2 fingers as 20-25mm Smile

I would guess that there's not enough volume somwhere as they are pretty 'snug'
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jamieo, 20-25mm is a comfort fit so my guess is that there is either compression directly at the toes or in one of two other places,....either the top of the instep, there is a lot of nerves and vascular that runs over the top of the foot, constriction here is a sure fire way to numbe toes, the other place is where you suffe rthe discomfort between the ankle and the achillies this area has a zone called the tarsal tunnel [thats right just like the carpel tunnel in the wrist] tarsal tunnel syndrome is pretty common, and there are a variety of things that can be done to reduce the problem

the solutions include

1 custom footbed [you have this already]
2 heel lift
3 stretch area locally around the ankle to reduce compression
4 stretch over the instep if that is the pressure point
5 a stategically placed metatarsal pad on the footbed which can help to reduce the clenching of the toes...needs to be done with care!

but as said earlier very difficult to give an exact answer wthout seeing everything

good luck getting it sorted
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for the posts everyone. Think I'll take myself along to S&R tomorrow to see what they can do about it.

Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jamieo, It would probably be very worth your while to travel a little further afield to get it sorted. Say, perhaps.... Bicester? wink

Welcome to snowHeads by the way Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy