Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fort William to Nevis Range on public transport on a Sat/Sun?

Poster: A snowHead
I've had my Euro fill for the year last week and a morning on a snow covered dry slope today, i'm now looking into and close to booking a long weekend to the Nevis Range in March. I know it's not 100% defo they'll be enough snow or it might not open due to dodgy weather but there is a TTR 2* (http://www.snowsportscotland.org/page.php?section=snow_news&page=116) event due to take place so thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and take a gamble on a final fix for the season.

My main query are the buses from Fort William to the Nevis Range. I have found this:

http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/winter/about/documents/bus_times_oct_27.pdf

Is this a reliable bus service, does it take you right to the bottom of the lift up the mountain, does it cost much?

I'm planning on return train B'ham to Fort William (£80), Bunk House/Hostle (£15p/n), going up on Fri returning Mon, Food/Drink (£15per/day). How much is the Nevis Day Pass?

Can I get the tatal under £200 or have I missed something?

Any other info would be appriciated. Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can get a 2 day pass for Nevis for £46 I think, sorry no idea about buses. Have you tried www.winterhighland.com ? Probably likely to be more locals on there
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you travelling on the sleeper and are you staying in Fort William? It's possible to make a connection to the bus at Spean Bridge that gets you to Nevis Range about the same time as the sleeper gets into Fort William, but if you are staying in Fort William and want to offload your gear then it would probably not work!

Try here for various combinations: http://www.travelinescotland.com/journeyplanner/

Price info for Nevis: http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/winter/snowsports/prices.asp

If you are staying a bunkhouse, ask around if there are other skiers/boarders/climbers there it might worth getting together and getting a taxi out to Nevis Range at a time that suits you, Distance is about 6miles.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, as always quick and reliable info.

The bunkhouse I have eyed up (Bank St Lodge) says 5 min walk from Fort William train station and the train is the 7.30ish form B'ham arriving at 4.30ish with a change (of stations, 30 min walk) at Glasgow. I've already written off Fri and Mon on the slopes!

Login off for the night now, I'm checking I can get that weekend off work tomorrow.

Thanks again!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've stayed at Bank Street Lodge (a few years back) and it was fine. Handy location for town and the bus/train.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nevis Range is just a few miles up the road from Fort William.

Plenty of public buses travel up and down between the ski station and the rail station.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, you're certain?

Plenty busses betwee Nevis Range and Fort William would be great news, as Im in a similar situation, want to ski on valentines day (day trip from Glasgow with my girlfriend), so going to coach/train it up to probably either Glencoe, Nevis or CairnGorm.

Choice will depend primarily on the weather, and also accessibility as it will be via public transport (hmm....should probably make a thread for advice/recommendations).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The buses are as in the timetable link in the top post. There are frequent buses from Fort William to Spean Bridge, unfortunately only a few go up to Nevis Range (see the time table). It's only about 6 miles so as already suggested esp if there is more than one of you, a taxi is the easiest way.

During the week there is a bus at 9am from Ft Wm that gets to Nevis Range at 9.15am which works great for going out the way, however it's 9.40 on Saturdays and 10am Sundays, which means you miss out on about an hour, if your not an early riser then you might alright with that esp if you have had a few the night before! Laughing Coming back into town you could try to hitch a lift, bound to be folk heading that way.

CairnGorm Mountain

The easiest of the ski areas to get to on public transport, the bus times work better and are more frequent. On weekends (and local school holidays) the early bus leaves the Railway Station in Aviemore (opposite the Cairngorm Hotel and a few minutes walk from the Macdonald Academy and Four Seasons) at 7.55am and arrives at the Daylodge on CairnGorm at 8.20am. Thereafter the buses are 9.16 and every hour at 16minutes past through the day on weekends.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again for the info, checked the holiday calender at work and can get it off. Getting paid on Fri so 99% sure I'm going to book it up this weekend, the mountain bike will go if there is no snow!

I have been boarding in Scotland once before and got a day cancelled at Cairngorm so I know how unpredictable it is...but...what do you think the chance of there being a decent snow cover are, will this snow last if there is no more (going the weekend of March the 13th)?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
manicpb, I hope the snow is good, as I'm up north the following weekend and will be disappointed if I can't ski.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
manicpb, Give me a PM if you go I tend to be there if it's a nice day and I'm not in Europe snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
II, will do. I was intending on giving a call out to any Snowheads a bit closer to the time.

I think I have roped in a mate too, and with The Sun doing a 2 for 1 rail offer this week I might have just knocked another £40 off my total!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just watch that there are no sleepers in either direction on Saturday nights.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland, Im wondering what you would advise (everyone else too).

I am planning this day trip with my girlfriend on a tight budget, so travelling via coach but would consider train.

The coach to fort william doesnt arrive until 10am, then having to get to the nevis range and everything seems like we wouldnt be skiing until at lesat 11 which is too late.

Now, there is a coach to Glencoe from glasgow (citylink i think) which arrives at 9:30, but thing is Im a bit wary of it because if for any reason it didnt come, or we missed it (on the way back), being stranded at Glencoe is alot worse than being stuck at Nevis and calling a cab to get back to fort william.

How reliable/easy would it be to go to Glencoe via coach? (Ive been advised to consider getting a list from someone but the OH doesnt fancy meeting up and travelling with people we've never met, so Im not sure about that).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skola, the last bus to Fort William from Glencoe is later than the last bus to Glasgow. So if you did miss it, you shouldn't be stranded. However you would have to stop overnight in FW as you'd have missed the last transport home.
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
I've stayed at Bank Street Lodge (a few years back) and it was fine. Handy location for town and the bus/train.

I've also stayed @ this bunkhouse and it's ok, but the doors close 23:00 if i remember correctly.

So if your planning a few sherberts then just keep this in mind.

It gets a wee bit chilly out there @ night. wink

Kev.
snow report
City link bus stops at foot of the glencoe ski road (marked white corries on the timetable).

Getting from Fort William to Nevis is easy.
Just hitch - if you have skis you will get a ride pretty quick.

Otherwise there is also a bus (check the time table)
http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/winter/about/location.asp

D
ski holidays
Right I've booked it up! However were now in Fort William Backpackers http://www.fortwilliambackpackers.com/?gclid=COuty8PEypgCFcST3wodABHO0Q(looks more cosy than Bank Street) anyone had any experiances?

Train did come in at £41.50 return (using 2for1 vouchers from The Sun)
Hostel came in at £39 for three nights

Should be well on course for a weekend of boarding and beer for between £150-£200!

A final question though, we need to change from Glasgow Central Railway Station to Glasgow Queen Street Railway Station. A route planner states 0.6miles, outward we have an hour to get between the two however on the return we have bang on 30mins (if everythings on time!). Is this plenty of time to walk between the two (with board bag and other luggage) or is it tight?

Thanks!
ski holidays
manicpb wrote:
A final question though, we need to change from Glasgow Central Railway Station to Glasgow Queen Street Railway Station. A route planner states 0.6miles, outward we have an hour to get between the two however on the return we have bang on 30mins (if everythings on time!). Is this plenty of time to walk between the two (with board bag and other luggage) or is it tight?

30 mins should be enough time - presuming your train to Queen Street is on time! Probably takes 5-10 mins without luggage.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy