Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See to Val Gardena on piste. possible?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I've had a good search around the ski maps, and couldn't find the answer. Maybe a snow head knows:

Is it possible to get from Zell am See to Val Gardena (or anywhere in the dolomite superski) via the pistes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Raify welcome to snowHead s

I suspect that the answer to your question is no wink In fact as I recall you can't even get from Zell am See to Kaprun via pistes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you mean without the use of a bus/car/train? If that is what you mean, then the answer is a very definitive no...

Check them out on a map, it's about 160 miles! Did you really mean Zell Am See to Val Gardena?

Yoda is right, you can't get to anywhere on piste from Zell Am See, even Kaprun and Saalbach.

Welcome to snowHead by the way.

D
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I needed a car and a train through a mountain to do it Raify. It's a long way - peppered with beautiful resorts but you should look at a map to see just how far from reality this prospect is.

I drove from Zell am See to the Gadstein valley; through the mountain then past Lienz to Cortina which I climbed out of into Val Gardena. You could drive it in a day if you started early.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspected as much, just checking!

Thanks.

p.s. I can't believe this is my first post, it feels like I've been reading snowheads for years.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Raify, definitely not. The slopes at Zell are not linked to any other resort. There is still talk of linking to Saalbach, but it hasn't happened yet. Even Kaprun, 3km away, isn't linked, beecause the intervening land is a flat plain at 600m altitude. That still leaves you with 100km+ of territory to cover, with no ski resorts in between. What gave you the idea that they might be linked?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Val Gardena being right near the Austrian border, and not doing what I should have in the first place (google mapping the two resorts).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raify, Val Gardena isn't actually as close as you might think to the Austrian bodere, but Zell am Zee is nowhere near the border Smile

The closest resort to the border in that part of the dolomites is Kronplatz (Plan de Corones), but even that can't be reached from Austria without a longish bus ride (probably with at least one change), and you need a short bus to get from there into the Alta Badia area, from which you can reach val Gardena.

Considering how much skiing there is on either side of the Austria/Italy border, there are surprisingly few skiable links across that border. In fact I don't know of ANY on piste connections.

I think this is probably mainly down to the fact that there is quite a deep valley running pretty well all the way across between the Dolomites and the Tyrolean Alps, and most of the Italian resorts are South of this valley.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like The Swimmer, with Burt Lancaster - where he swims across the state, using peoples pools in their back gardens Cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swimmer
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
warrell wrote:
I needed a car and a train through a mountain to do it Raify. It's a long way - peppered with beautiful resorts but you should look at a map to see just how far from reality this prospect is.

I drove from Zell am See to the Gadstein valley; through the mountain then past Lienz to Cortina which I climbed out of into Val Gardena. You could drive it in a day if you started early.

Or in a night as I did last night after out 9.30pm Salzburg to Dublin flight was cancelled. Had to make a 1am taxi trip all the way to Treviso to get a Ryanair flight! Eventually got home at about 4pm yesterday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Ross wrote:
warrell wrote:

Or in a night as I did last night after out 9.30pm Salzburg to Dublin flight was cancelled. Had to make a 1am taxi trip all the way to Treviso to get a Ryanair flight! Eventually got home at about 4pm yesterday.

Ouch, did Michael O'Leary pay the fare for you? Little Angel
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chrisdavis, that's a dark film, a very, very, dark film. (At least that is the image that stays with me, given the ending).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney wrote:
Raify, Val Gardena isn't actually as close as you might think to the Austrian bodere, but Zell am Zee is nowhere near the border Smile

The closest resort to the border in that part of the dolomites is Kronplatz (Plan de Corones), but even that can't be reached from Austria without a longish bus ride (probably with at least one change), and you need a short bus to get from there into the Alta Badia area, from which you can reach val Gardena.

Considering how much skiing there is on either side of the Austria/Italy border, there are surprisingly few skiable links across that border. In fact I don't know of ANY on piste connections.

I think this is probably mainly down to the fact that there is quite a deep valley running pretty well all the way across between the Dolomites and the Tyrolean Alps, and most of the Italian resorts are South of this valley.

The only area that straddles the Austro-Italian border is Nauders-Reschenpass, but as you say no on-piste connection:

http://www.reschenpass.net/xxl/en/home/_season/at2/index.html

A bit of useless info, but, the deep valley you're talking about (Val Pusteria) is part of a geological fault zone known as the Periadriatic Seam and is the border between the European and Adriatic/Apulian plates, hence the different rock composition south of this line in the Dolomites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periadriatic_Seam
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi, I actually like that kind of useless info!

D
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy