Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier's Edge ski simulator review

Poster: A snowHead
In my dreams!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What I want to know is can everybody do this skier's edge lark then??!!

I had a go at a ski show under the watchful gaze of Graham Bell. I felt completely rigid....couldn't do it Mad .......and was compared to Douglas Bader by the highly amused Mrs MA. I'd never felt such a t*t - even when having my ski tips held in a snowplough by the instructor when I was a beginner...

Mr Bell then added insult to injury by querying......"Obviously you've never skied before then sir?!" Shocked Er, only at a hundred and odd ski areas over the last 20 years Embarassed - but I couldn't quite face telling him that.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict, That's interesting. I found the action was natural and very much like skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, are you light and weedy? I could hardly move it when I got on but they can adjust it for lightweights.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dme wrote:
In all honesty though if you're skiing 10 or so weeks a year you can forego that first week and just put it down to getting fit.

Yeah that must be great practically living in resort, but what if you only have time for 5 weeks a year like me?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster ,
Quote:

Yeah that must be great practically living in resort, but what if you only have time for 5 weeks a year like me?

Don't know how you survive on only 5 weeks a year. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster, Fair point - 5 weeks a year isn't bad going though. Having said that what you've spent on the skiers edge you could have put to another week of actual skiing. I think I would rather be in the mountains than in the living room!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dme wrote:
uktrailmonster, Fair point - 5 weeks a year isn't bad going though. Having said that what you've spent on the skiers edge you could have put to another week of actual skiing. I think I would rather be in the mountains than in the living room!!

As I said earlier in the thread:-

"my skiing is limited by time off work rather than money. Unfortunately the cash saving isn't going to increase my time on the slopes. So I want to rock up there as fit as possible."

5 weeks is the most time I can take off work over the ski season and that's already pushing my luck and sacrificing summer holidays etc etc. Not everyone (in fact almost nobody) can spend as much time as they would like in the mountains. So that means I spend 47 weeks a year not skiing, so inevitably my ski fitness drops off. I do several other sports (mainly mountain biking) but I find it doesn't really prepare the ski specific muscle groups. I'm finding the skiers edge fills in that gap perfectly, but obviously at a high cost. Luckily it's a cost I can comfortably afford. If you're on a tight budget, it's not really something to consider.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
uktrailmonster, I see. I'm not your boss though, you don't have to justify your holiday entitlement to me. It's a shame you can only get 5 weeks off in the winter but I'm pleased that you seem to be financially well off.

You need to work for yourself - that's the answer!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dme, Do you actually have a point, just trolling or got a chip on your shoulder? Instead of posting about stuff you clearly have zero interest in, why not go skiing instead?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's a very good point- i've got to wait a couple of days sadly. I must say though for someone who gets five weeks skiing a year you should be far more chilled than you are. Have you considered trying a different sport?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ok so it's either troll or idiot then.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You're too angry for me - I'm off skiing. Enjoy your skiing carpet thingy!! Lots of Love DME
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That was a quick couple of days. Have fun skiing and try not to think too much about how I need to spend my money Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Happy I'm going to have a 30 day trial of the Skiers Edge, but, not before I go to Canada Sad
I've run out of time. I'm toying with the idea of buying one on my return, always provided that I can manage to run the trial of course.
No problem with the finance, but being short on holiday time is my big issue so being fit enough to ski as I want is always my biggest want.
snow report
ski-bums, I got mine on the 30 day trial and kept it afterward. There's no downside to taking up the trial offer.
snow report
dme, I think you spend far to much time on fat skis, not all of us do and may need that extra help skiing the carpet.
snow report
I have had a Big Mountain Skier's Edge for around 4 years now. I generally find it pretty good, although I slipped a disc in my back years ago, and using the machine makes my back ache - it's (usually) OK when I ski. Machine reliability has been OK, except for the resistance bands which can and do break. If they break, they break at full stretch, and you then fall off - dangerous. So I advise that you check them regularly. I broke one set (and fell off, breaking a wardrobe door in the process), and set number 2 is about to break, so at the moment, I can't use the machine. Graham Bell did replace the first set free of charge, without being prompted which I thought was rather good of him. I expect to be charged this time around
snow report
Anybody looking to sell their Skiers Edge?
snow report
abd, Not me, I'm still a big fan of the benefits after 5 years ownership. Definitely worth getting one if you want to boost your ski fitness pre-season.
ski holidays
thats pretty unusual uktrailmonster, good for you. Most domestic fitness machines find themselves in a corner gathering dust within 6 months of purchase!
snow conditions
abd, couldn't agree more. I think the difference here is that I'm into my skiing enough to put up with the boredom of indoor exercise to improve my ski fitness i.e. there is a specific goal in mind. Having said that, the SE is more fun than a rowing or bike machine and doesn't require hours of monotonous use to make a difference. I find that a 15 min workout is quite effective and not too much of a chore.

Both my rowing and bike machines are gathering dust in the garage btw.
ski holidays
I'm thinking of getting a SE; maybe some users could help with some advice? I'm looking at the All Mountain and wondered how good it is at simuling powder re progressive push down followed by quick rise up? It would be nice to improve muscle memory as well as fitness. Also can the resistance be reduced to be good for my partner's rehab after a knee replacement op?
snow report
I have a series 4 Big Mountain version which I will be putting on sale soon (over the Christmas period).
The resistance is variable and the platform can also be changed from a narrow, off-piste type of stance to a wider, piste carving type. It can also be used in 1 leg mode if you feel particularly strong!
Feel free to PM for further details if you are interested.
snow report
@gra, I have sent you a PM
snow conditions
On the rocks wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a SE; maybe some users could help with some advice? I'm looking at the All Mountain and wondered how good it is at simuling powder re progressive push down followed by quick rise up? It would be nice to improve muscle memory as well as fitness. Also can the resistance be reduced to be good for my partner's rehab after a knee replacement op?

I wouldn't say it simulates powder at all. It's much closer to simulating very short radius slalom turns. But you can adjust the stance width and pay attention to your weight distribution, edge angles etc. But the main benefit is building up your ski specific muscles. I've had mine now for many years and I don't suffer from first day leg fatigue if I spend at least a month on the SE (15-20 mins per day) before going to the mountain . It's the one piece of exercise equipment I've used long term and will continue to do so. I have the Big Mountain version BTW.

A good tip for reducing the boredom is to watch gnarly freeride videos while you are using it!
latest report
Makes me wish mine wasn't stuck on one side with nowhere it can live Sad
snow report
[quote="uktrailmonster"]
On the rocks wrote:
It's much closer to simulating very short radius slalom turns. But you can adjust the stance width and pay attention to your weight distribution, edge angles etc. But the main benefit is building up your ski specific muscles. I've had mine now for many years and I don't suffer from first day leg fatigue if I spend at least a month on the SE (15-20 mins per day) before going to the mountain .

I agree with this.

I used mine five days out of seven on the lead up to a recent weekend away and my legs/thighs were not really an issue after skiing for eight hours on the first day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JoyZipper wrote:

I used mine five days out of seven on the lead up to a recent weekend away and my legs/thighs were not really an issue after skiing for eight hours on the first day.

One thing I noticed - through watching my own gopro ski runs while using the SE - is that you spend a lot more time on ski lifts than you do actually skiing. So the SE is very efficient at racking up effective ski miles. If you do a solid 30 mins on the SE, that would take you several hours to do on the mountain. Although in reality I find the SE doesn't load up your legs quite the same as a real ski run. But it's still great conditioning before a holiday.
snow report
Wow, love the idea and look of these and would buy one, but the cost really seems to be out of sync with the kit. Maybe I will get a pair of roller skates and fix them to a curved piece of metal. Seriously would like a Skier's Edge though!
snow report
They are built to last though. Mine is still going strong on its original belt. Not cheap, but worth it long term. Maybe look out for a used one? I doubt anyone could break one so a used one would most likely be in good condition.
ski holidays
check out skizrider.com
snow report
2nd spam of the day
snow report
Hmm we could probably unsticky this one i think.
ski holidays
Anyone tried one of these?

http://www.ski-simulator.com/professional-ski-simulator-en

Pro fitter 3D

http://youtube.com/v/JqduACM7u6k

https://www.amazon.de/Trainer-Fitter-Heimtrainer-Ganzk%C3%B6rpertrainer-Crosstrainer/dp/B007UOOPGO?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
essex wrote:

what do you mean by "unsticky one of these"?
snow conditions
buckhorn wrote:
essex wrote:

what do you mean by "unsticky one of these"?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080515143933AAoTf23
snow report
Got in touch with the guy's at Skiers Edge recently and they've stopped doing the "Classic" model now so you have to jump right it at the T5 "Big Mountain" which is currently £1450.00 +£45 delivery if there's any takers Laughing

I sure there's enough loose change down the back of the sofa which will allow me to just about purchase one of these Shocked
snow conditions
It might be worth your while to check out the ski-z-rider machine at skizrider.com lot less money and looks to be a good ski exercise device.
latest report
buckhorn wrote:
It might be worth your while to check out the ski-z-rider machine at skizrider.com lot less money and looks to be a good ski exercise device.

Cheers for this... it looks like a relatively new piece of kit that he's developed... and about half the price of Skiers edge even with the appalling exchange rate... Hard to find many testimonials/reviews as it's that new but deffo something to think about.

I might drop him an email to see if they ship outside of US at least... anyone know whether you would be subjected to import duty on something like this? Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy