Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fritschi Diamir Freeride sizing question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've found some Fritschi Freeride Plus in size medium, lightly used for about 150 quid and wondering whether to get them. My alpine boots are 285mm sole length, will the size medium be OK as I'm at the low end of the size range? Disadvantages? I heard that Black Diamond recommend you go with the smallest size binding you can get away with, which would put me in a Short.

BD's Sizing guide:
SHORT: 245–300 MM (US 4.5–9 MEN’S)
MEDIUM: 280–335 MM (6–12 MEN’S)

I would need the binding to work with my 285mm alpine boots until later in the season when I'll be replacing them with new touring boots. My alpine boots are a heavily tweaked custom fit into a long discontinued Dalbello shell, two sizes down from my UK size 8 shoe to fit my low volume foot, so my next boot could well be closer in size to my UK 8's depending on what i can find that fits.

Another Dumb Question: does the FR+ have a range of boot length adjustment once it's mounted, or will I have to remount again for the next boot?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnnyrotten, the reason that BD suggest going for the smallest you can get away with is that it reduces the amount of 'slop' or 'play' in the binding. If £150 is a bargain (I don't know how much they cost), then go for it, 285mm in an M is fine.

A general rule of thumb is that most touring boots end up being a mm or two shorter than your alpine shells, but as you have explained this may not be the case... Anyway, yes, you can adjust the M from 280 - 335 after mounting, but if you have the bindings mounted for a 285mm and then for example end up with a 300mm you boot centre will be 15mm further back...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't mount them until you get your new boots..personally, to take into account parlor's point.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnnyrotten, If you're planning to mount them yourself, there's an excellent write up here http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/fritschi-freeride-mount/fritschi-diamir-freeride.html which includes a binding template (pdf file)

I used the template to mount mine & it's an accurate setup - I did a trial run on a bit of scrap wood first, to make sure it all fitted OK

I alternate between Nordica GP Alpine & Scarpa Denali touring boots, adjusting the toe height & heel length settings

Hope this helps.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
parlor, geoffers, thanks for the help. I'll probably ask the local shop to mount but good to have that link,

Yeah I agree with JT it may be better to wait until I get my new boots before I mount them up as they are almost certain to be a bigger size. Might be time to bring forward that new boot purchase...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnnyrotten, just thought i would add my 2 cents in here. The reason you should always use the smallest Fritschi binding is
because of the length of the bar. If you have a 285mm sole length boot but are using a medium size binding, it means when you are skinning up you are lifting a much longer length than you need to. hope this makes sense...cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy