Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots - Feet on fire

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone

First time I have ever posted a message - but have been lurking (as Easiski said last week in Les Deux Alpes).

I have another boot question

For about 5 years I have been skiing in Salomon X-wave 8s - a few growing pains - but then settled down fine. This Christmas Santa bought me a new pair of Salomon Falcon CS after a visit to his grotto in Lemington. I was advised that custom foot beds were not necessary and sold some off the shelf ones (Superfeet - I think). Went off to LDA last week and quite soon noticed a pain under the balls of my feet that became a burning - irritating but just about tolerable for the day. Next day went of to a shop in resort and had Conformable custom foot beds made thinking this would help. Over the week things just got worse - starts as a pressure on the top of my foot, then slight burning over balls of my feet, progressing to full-on get my feet out of this burning instrument of torture. My toes were painful to move and the tips are still tender and hypersenstive. I thought things would improve over the week but no luck. I am really confused as the boots were custom moulded and I expected a better fit - with fewer problems - same length as my old x-waves by the way.

The only other thing I have noticed is that the forward lean of these boots seems much, more than my old X-waves - so much so that when leaning gently against the tongue of the boot my ankle is at maximum flexion. This does not feel right as it was then very difficult to push against the tongue of the boot and a couple of times when I hit a dip, causing a compression force, the front of my ankle joint yelped.

Any ideas? I will go back to the shop that sold them - but I would be interested in what Snowheads have to say.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there anything in the boot that could be squeezing a nerve or something like that, a pea under the proverbial mattress perhaps?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm interested to see how this plays out because I've got the same problem but dont have time to go see a fitter atm!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A heel lift and a trip to a bootfitter will aid your issues
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, He's already been to the best bootfitter I've ever met, and Lockwoods are supposed to be well thought of - please read the question!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, hang on you ask for advice................ SMALLZOOKEEPER, gives a suggestion as a respected boot fitter (as are the guys in leamington) so don't shoot it down in flames.................... hang on aren't the boot fitters in Leamington "Footworks"?............ double hang hang on isn't there a "Footworks" in Chamonix... .can't for the life of me remember what SMALLZOOKEEPER, does in Chamonix.................................
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marcellus, It's actually Lockwoods in Leamington Spa.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, A Heel Lift will reduce the forward lean angle between the sole of the foot and the shin, that Nip 'n' Tuck has issues with. It might be a solution.

marcellus, The Boot fitters in Leamington are 'Lockwoods', 'Footworks' are in Chamonix.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 19-01-09 10:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ok Embarassed my apologies to Lockwoods for thinking they had some relationship with Footworks......... I stand corrected but the sentiment of my post remains!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
New boots will take some time to bed in. Try skiing with the bottom 2 clips undone until they bed in a bit more.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Worth trying a slight heel lift, which will reduce the forefoot to shin angle slightly. Won't cost much so deffo worth as try IMO.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nip 'n' Tuck, I had exactly your problem, also with a pair of Salomons; absolute agony, the boot had to come off, wherever I was. The problem was diagnosed by Profeet as lack of flexion in my ankles; they gave me some exercises to improve matters, which they did a bit and probably would have done more had I actually done them more than about twice. Adjustment of the footbed (I can't remember exactly how) eventually improved matters enormously, and the boots are now v. comfortable, although I still undo them on lifts and often take them off at lunch time as a precautionary measure (and also to ensure a bit more elbow room as people edge away muttering about goats).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Calf stretches are a good idea too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richmond

What exercises did they recommend to improve ankle flexion? My guide in Cham last week suggested I need to improve flexibility in this area,

Cheers,

BrightonSki
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, I read the question, i and i stand by my answer. The poster having been to the best bootfitter You have ever met is a matter of perspective and is relative. This could be a flexion issue and i'm yet to see the problem being fully embrased by my piers here in france. It is too a common problem with the Falcon Range.
snow conditions
BrightonSki, I'll try and find the sheet. I may not have been doing the exercises that assiduously.
snow conditions
Thanks Richmond
latest report
Hi Guys

thanks for all the feedback - all very interesting

Milamber - there is nothing in the boots - I have looked - the pain is nerve pain I think by it's nature

I appreciate Smallzookeeper's comments - I will put in a heel raise - but I don't really understand how this will help. Won't I be tipped even more onto the balls of my feet and wont the volume of the boot be reduced even more? The comments about the forward lean of the falcons is interesting - can you please explain some more. I must admit I feel there is an issue here. I found that every morning after getting out of bed my calves were painful when I put my feet on the floor for a few minutes (presumably because my gastroc had been stretched by the forward lean of the boot).

Frosty the Snowman - I had all the foot clips undone - but this made no difference - I still felt there was too much pressure on top of my foot.

Thanks for the tip about getting some space in the restaurant Richmond - maybe some good will come of this after-all!

Sorry about the cryptic note about Lemington - the shop was Lockwoods and they seemed very good at the time.

Thanks
snow conditions
Mate, by bringing the heel of the boot up to meet the heel the weight will be better distributed throughout the length of the foot. The internal angle of the Falcon is fairly acute and therefore can often use up the entire range of motion of the ankle joint. By raising the heel the foot sits at an angle slightly more obtuse therefore opening the joint and relaxing the ankle alowing you to move forward to apply pressure when needed. This however, as you point out will raise the instep and further pressure will be experienced. Add to that the low instep of this boot and it can be a disaster. I personally love this boot for the foot shape and physiology that can support it, that said this combination are few and far between, net result, the Falcon, in general terms is near on useless if not fitted to the right combination of factors.
snow report
Thought I would post an update.
I have just got back from a trip to CEM at Solutions4feet. Very interesting - some of the things he said echoed what had been said by other snowheads. I must admit I was quite prepared to throw the towel in with these boots and if he had said you just need different boots - I would have believed him. However, the first thing he did was look at my ankle flexion - which he immediatley felt was the problem (or rather the lack of it!!) - supporting what people have said on here. Interestingly he did not think I could improve it that much. A heel raise has been suggested - but apparently needs to be quite high 10mm or so. As to other boots CEM felt I would have similar problems with other makes due to the biomechanics of my ankle.
The solution........... major boot surgery - my boots are going to be disassembled and put back together with a more upright cuff - needing grinding and bolts!
The foot beds do not seem to be too much of an issue and the ones I have seem OK. Finally the pressure on the top of my foot can be sorted out by moulding this part of the boot. Well that's the plan..............................
I will post again when the surgery has been carried out
snow conditions
Where should heel lifts go?

(a) Between the shell and the liner, or (b) inside between the liner and the footbed?

Thanks
latest report
Nip'n'Tuck I saw your Boots today, the surgery carried out on them by CEM looks like a work of art. Hope it does the trick.
snow report
Hi again

I missed CEM's 'phone call on Friday - can't wait to get back down to Bicester and try the boots on
ski holidays
BrightonSki wrote:
Where should heel lifts go?

(a) Between the shell and the liner, or (b) inside between the liner and the footbed?

Thanks

it depends on what you are trying to achieve, but for the purpose of what is going on in this thread then between the shell and the liner
latest report
Sorry, thread hi-jack!

I bought boots last week in Alpe D'Huez in Cyril sports who were of great help. I bought Tecnica Dragon's with a flex of 110. They have improved my skiing and feel no end and I'm very happy with the peformance side of the boots. However I have been getting a numbness/burning on the bottom of my feet that got progressively worse throughout the day or after a tough run. This discomfort would clear up after a few mins out of the boot and I would be ready to go again for a few hours. I don't have custom foot beds fitted (although from reading the above this does not appear to solve the problem) but was wondering if there are any adjustments I can carry out to the boots myself, i.e. to adjust the cuff or a heel raise etc? Also my calfs are quite tight from playing alot of football and this may be adding to the problem!?!

Appart from the discomfort I have never felt in such control of my skis. I'm in shock at the difference in my skiing!

Thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy