Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie ski-mum needs help to ensure her children enjoy their first trip!

Poster: A snowHead
As somebody who only discovered Snowheads a fortnight ago, may I first say thank you for keeping me entertained and informed whilst in bed with a lergie Smile and may I secondly apologise if I'm about to ask some fairly basic questions! Embarassed Although not new to skiing myself, I didn't start until I was older and am about to take my 4 and 5 year olds for the first time. I'm very keen that above all else they enjoy themselves and would hate them to be cold and miserable.

They will probably not be skiing before/after their lessons (11.30-1.30). I've bought them thermal undies, fleeces, proper socks, mittens etc. but I'm stuck on their ski outfits:

I found a one-piece on e-bay for my DD (who is a 'slight' 5 1/2). It's age 5-6 and she loves it, but my DH is concerned that it is too big and she'll be cold. So - question number 1: does it matter if there's 'room for growth' or should I be looking for something more tight fitting?

For my DS (a tall 4) I found some salopettes in TK Maxx, but that leaves the problem of the jacket. He has a very warm down-filled "rab"-style jacket, so here is question number 2: if I waterproof it, will that be sufficient or should I be looking for a 'proper' ski jacket? My problem there is that 3-4 is usually tight and 5-6 huge and there doesn't seem to be much in between.

I hope that makes sense - after 10 days in bed my brain's rather frazzled!

Oh and if there are any other tips to keep them happy I'd be grateful (I think I have trawled most threads at this stage, but just in case...)!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lizann, welcome to snowHeads, The down filled jacket should probably be ok if it's cold maybe spray it with a waterproofer but in general unless its very warm you won't need to worry about rain, also if it's very warm the jacket might be too hot, so perhaps a windproof fleece as well ?

I don't think unless the one piece is much to big you need have any concerns, after all it needs to be big enough to allow for all those sit down get up situations if the one piece is windproof and teh child has thermals underneath she should be fine, also the important factor is that she loves it wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Lizann, Very Happy welcome to snowheads!! One thing about the one piece suits, my daughter, then also 5yrs, found it inconvenient when visiting the loo!! The sleeves often ended up on the floor(or worse, actually in the loo Sad ) Also when you have ´layers´of clothing under a jacket it is much easier to control temperature, my kids got overheated quickly in a one piece.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lizann, Not an expert, but have survived two ski trips with children so far.....I would have thought the advantage of the suit being on the big side is that there will be lots of room for layers. My youngest was 4 when she first skied and her only (but constant) complaint was being cold, even last year when it was unseasonably warm, she was well layered up. Can't comment too much on the jacket, but have always opted for ski jackets, one advantage being lots of zipped pockets to keep cream, lift pass etc. in.

Also a good idea to pop a mini chocolate/snack bar in their pockets for an energy boost during their lesson! Oh, and two pairs of everything as they always seem to lose a glove just when you are racing out the door to their lesson. Above all else, enjoy!, there's nothing better than watching them snake their way down the mountain at the end of the week!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My daughter survived ski school in a one piece at that age, just tell them to hang on the arms when they pull it down during loo stops. Neither of mine started in bone fide ski jackets - the down one should be fine. Also, at that age don't discount the possibility that they might want to ski outside of their ski school times - mine were happy at those ages all day mucking round on their skis and in the snow generally.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lizann,

My two will be almost 4 and just 5 when we go in March. They have been for the last 3 years in various ski suit combinations. Last year was the first year they really skied - almost 3 year old in a far too big one piece (albiet aged 18-24 months) and 4 year old in a perfect fiitting two piece. Neither were cold but the loo was a pain with the one piece. This year they both have jackets and sallopettes which are too big. It's probably a bit late now but I got my almost 4 year olds suit from Aldi a couple of weeks ago. It's age 4-5 and the jacket is only slightly too big - the sallopettes need rolling up several times but nothing new there for my short legged offspring.

A few positives to an oversized one piece - it leaves plenty of bits to pull them up by, space to stuff their gloves down the front, easy for them to get on and off and it should still fit next year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to snowHead

I am not a mummy, but I have taught age 2-9 kids for the past 4 winters. One pieces are a NIGHTMARE in terms of the loo, although equally bad are braces with the fleece over the top. I don't know if its the cold, or the fact that skiing is so much fun, but a lot of kids seem to leave it late for the loo in ski situations (Compared to kids in summer/more normal situations anyway), and when you then have to drag off a full suit, fleece layers, thermals....it comes very close sometimes! wink From a purely selfish point of view, I would go with a thermal top, a fleece and then salopettes with braces on the TOP of the fleece, plus a jacket (the down filled one will be fine).

From a more child friendly point of view, make sure they have something on their faces/heads. I recommend either a fleecey neckwarmer that can pull up high, or a snood type thing. The cheeks seem to suffer the worst from the cold at that age. Similarly, 2 pairs of mittens are a bonus, as they will put them in the snow on day 1! Oh, and consider stringing the mittens together and through the arms of the coat, I love parents who do that! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Rab Jacket will be fine, how do I know? I have skiied and ice climbed in one for the last 6 years. Only if it was raining would I not use it

Light, warm, breathable. Open the zip to cool. Close zip and flip up the hood on the chairlift for warmth. Also the Blue, red or yellow stand out well. Even better they wash easily in the machine afterwards (follow the instructions and tumble dry it afterwards)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just thought fo something else, may or may not concern your kids, but I think it is a good idea. My son was very good at wandering off out of the eyes of his instructor, and getting himself lost,he was a bit older 7years then, but we always wrote down on a piece of paper contact numbers, where we were staying and put it in his pocket. It saved a lot of hassle and gave me peace of mind,of course most ski schools fit the kids with numbered bibs, but not all.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

also the important factor is that she loves it

as the grandmother of a 5 year old fashion victim I strongly echo that sentiment. An awkward one-piece she loves is far better bet than a practical jacket she doesn't! She can practice going to the loo and not dropping the sleeves down the pan before you go - with the incentive that she'll have to wear a boring jacket if she can't cope!

good idea about mitten on a string.

A very high proportion of the French kids in all the ski school classes are in one-piece suits. They can't all be exceptionally talented at organising themselves for the toilet. And if they have a jacket and salopettes with braces you have to get the jacket off and put it somewhere to pull the sallies down. OK if Mum can hold it in her teeth.... very few mountain loos are going to have a hook for it at a child friendly height. I don't really know why so many people find a one-piece for kids so difficult; mine survived and they were not specially talented in that area.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is it still possible to hire ski clothing for kids? I remember my first ever ski trip to Scotland in ~1987 when my Dad hired me salopets etc. I was about 9 at the time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are some places you can hire in the UK - eg Filarinski in Havant (Hampshire). I don't think European resorts have clothing for hire (though you can hire lots of other things, including all terrain pushchairs and little sledgy things for babies However, it sounds as though lizann already has suitable clothes for her kids, so why spend more?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I took my son for the first time and he had just turned 4. It was his face that was the coldest on the ski lifts!! If their face and hands are nice and warm they won't complain!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you all! You have put my mind at rest and given me some great tips. I shall stop trawling ebay now and concentrate on sewing elastic onto their mittens. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lizann, I would echo what swisssnowbunny, and garethjomo, said about getting something over their faces - One of mine nearly dumped out of ski school one day when it was that very windy weather that was blowing ice shards everywhere. I never had anything to use but resorted to a pair of scissors and an old blanket we'd taken and came up with a make-shift scarf that they then wore for the rest of the week. Now mine have balaclavas and cheap versions of buffs that can fit close to their faces under their helmets depending on various conditions. It does make the world of difference to them wanting to stay on the slopes.

Def. put elastic onto their mittens and threadle them through the coat sleeves - a good tip to make sure it doesn't tangle as they put their arms in is to loop it through the hanging loop which is normally in the back of the neck before stuffing the gloves down the arms.
snow conditions
Thank you Megamum,garethjomo and swisssnowbunny; I have buffs but shall add balaclavas to my list of must-haves!
latest report
lizann wrote:
Thank you all! You have put my mind at rest and given me some great tips. I shall stop trawling ebay now and concentrate on sewing elastic onto their mittens. Very Happy

No need for sewing get some Manbi Glove Glues

http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/flypage/4911/5c2c673d9004000d212ee21c3b729ec8

I got them from here, Little Trekkers, they are very helpful and their stuff is always great. But I have since seen them in Go Outdoors too, maybe other places too if you google it. You can get them pink or black.

HTH and saves sewing time!
ski holidays
lizann, Although you've probably got it covered, I think most would agree that they also need ski helmets - most ski schools from what I hear insist on them.
snow report
Quote:

shall add balaclavas to my list of must-haves!

they need to be thin ones to go under helmets without compromising the fit. Ski schools mostly insist on helmets.
snow conditions
lizann, these are fab under helmets and keep the neck warm too.

I echo swisssnowbunny about having the braces over the fleece - exactly what I do with my DD who is 5 now. It makes removal of gear so much quicker when she needs to go. We always go for jacket and salopettes and not a one-piece. However, the bonus with a one-piece is that if they fall over there's no snow going up the jacket.
ski holidays
Thank you for the tip, geetee: duly ordered! Shall make sure the braces are over the fleece to make ds's life easier. Helmets already sorted, I think the ski school will insist and in any event I shall feel better if they have them on!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy