Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Lauberhorn turns 75 - photo gallery

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
To mark the 75th anniversary of the Lauberhorn over the weekend, a new book (in German only, I think) called 'Lauberhorn - History of a Myth' has been published.

A set of historical photos from the book has been posted on the SwissInfo site. Click here to see the gallery - click on each photo to advance to the next one.

The last two photos show the contrast between the earlier unfenced course, and the heavily netted and padded sides of the course today.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm I remember Ernst Gertsch, he used to have a ski shop next to Central Sport in Wengen, but when he passed away his widow turned it into a high quality tourist shop and art gallery called Zur Vase, now run by his son.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another Wengen luminary - Karl Molitor - used to make superb ski boots in the village. When Ali Ross (who spent many years in Wengen) trained me as a ski instructor on Cairngorm he had a pair.
As plastic boots swept the market that was the end of Molitor, sadly.
Is there still a Molitor shop in the village, DGO?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, Oh yes still there, in fact Karl is still alive and 84 years old this year according to their website http://www.molitor.ch/english/home.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Molitors is very much an upmarket ski shop....but it certainly has the history.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, Are you thinking of Ernst or Eduard? I thought Ernst owned Central Sport in the old days, Eduard owned Edward Sport on the other side of the road, and I thought it was his widow who started the tourist shop. My Mum ysed to go and sit and chat for hours. Of course Alpia Sport is now owned by Christophe Gerstch, one of Eduard's sons. I think he died about 15 years ago - we were invited to the funeral but couldn't go.

I'm amazed that Karl Molitor is still alive - good on him. My dad broke his achilles tendon in a pair of his boots and didn't even know until he took the boot off!

David Goldsmith, Wonderful photos, what a pity there weren't any captions telling you who they were and what year it was. No 43 (no helmet) was in a super position, and would get good marks for technique today. the skis appeared to be old wood or laminated wood with screwed in edges, so that would be before the late 60's ....

When I worked in Wengen we (the Ausslanders) got good work preparing the piste for the race - no machines in those days. They paid us to stamp and sideslip it for several days. They had those little fences then. It was 73 or 74.
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, you are quite right, too many Gerstch's in Wengen Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, I dread to think what all their DNA looks like!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, off the top of my head I think Gerstch, Fuches (sp?) and von Allmen are probably the 3 most common surnames in the village, scarry isn't it Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski,
There are captions under the photos, for instance No. 43 is referred to as "Germany's Willy Bogner does the slalom in 1960". Maybe the window that opened from the link was not big enough? Very Happy
BTW I relaly liked that picture....I fancy printing it off and putting it up somehwere in the house.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy