Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Checking motoring conditions - Col du Montgenevre area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just found "SnowHeads" while searching for a Web site that I can use to get up to the minute road conditions through the passes when I drive down to Puy St Vincent in a couple of weeks.

Did the trip last year without any problems.

But it would be nice if there was a Web site (or information phone line - in english ;o) I could check on the way down to understand what the road conditions are like through the Col du Montgenevre and surrounding area.

I'll have Winter tyres (and chains just in case) but if it was very bad I think I'd like to know about it enroute, so I could make an informed decision about whether to go a bit further via Gap instead of taking the Frejus tunnel.

Has anyone come accross any information service like this ?

Thanks and regards,

Ian

PS - I like the Web site very much !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
piddi, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

The traffic Line for Col du Lauteret and Col du Montgenere +33 (0)4 92 24 44 44 , think it is just in French though.
The website is http://www.inforoute05.fr/cg05en.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you Helen - and the site is in English too ;o)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
piddi,

Hi, We are driving to Puy in a few weeks for the first time, where is the best place to get directions from Calais?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LoveRossi, I use Viamichelin.com
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've found http://www.viamichelin.com good for routes across France.

From what I remember from last year you have to decide which route to take for the last leg through mountains.

I think the most direct two routes are via the Frejus tunnel or via the Col du Lautaret. We took the Frejus tunnel last year as although its more money in tolls, I was advised that more of it is motorway. We've done Turin to Puy St Vincent by coach before and almost everyone felt some degree of travell sickness from the windy roads on the last 2 hours or so through the mountains.

The tunnel seemed likely to be the easiest route on my boys' tummys.

If the weather is particularly bad, I understand you can travel via Gap which has a lower route through the mountains but is 45 mins or so longer.

The viamichelin recommended route is via the Frejus tunnel.

We used Tomtom all the way last time, although I had program it to go via the tunnel otherwise it would have takern us over the Col du Lautaret.

Hope this helps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
piddi, road between Vizille and Gap although lower is very long and windy,put an hour and a bit onto my journey. I did it recently when weather closed the Col du Lauteret for a short while and I had to get to Grenoble. On the return trip to Serre Chevalier, I just wen for the Lauteret as it was open again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Helen, do you prefer the Col du Lauteret route to the Fejus tunnel ?

Regards, Ian
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We drove over the Col de Montgenevre as "snow chain beginners" last year. The weather was finw when we left Bergamo but we encountered the odd snow flurry as we approached the bottom of the climb to the col.

By the time we were half way up a blizzard was raging and we began to lose traction from our chainless tyres. It became a scene of chaos as we tried to proceed without chains - cars stuck and others skidded at right angles. Shocked Eventually we got stuck - just as the police stopped anyone without chains from attempting to go any further.

So it was out with the chains for me and my brother. Just the simple matter of reading the instructions as we crouched next to the front wheels in a blizzard with snow blowing down our necks and fingers becoming frostbitten by the second as we grappled with the jumble of spaghetti strewn on the road before us.... Puzzled

Bit of a nightmare but we eventually sussed out the fitting and managed the climb without any further problems. One of life's experiences!

So my advice is to go via the Col but ensure that you have a test run fitting the chains before you need to do it for real. Once the chains were fitted (which isn't that difficult - except in a blizzard when you haven't done it before) the drive was no problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
piddi, we've done both, but for us, going to Monetier, the Frejus is much longer. I don't suppose it would make a lot of time difference if you are going to Puy. We inevitably take the Lauteret unless it is actually closed, even if the conditions are delicate or difficult. But we have a 4x4 with winter tyres, and it is rock solid in snow, and I haven't needed to put on the chains in 4 years of three trips a year. I suppose it depends on how confident you are at driving in snow, being brought up near Consett, Co. Durham, I was already used to it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy