Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Congratulations to skimottaret

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, awesome!! There's hope for me yet wink

How did you go on the bumps?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1 wrote:
How did you go on the bumps?

Laughing Anyone notice a common theme...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bumps hmmmmmm..... I was pretty much a scrape through and it was my worst strand, but i did enough to get 5's. I managed to get a few decent bump runs on the second Wednesday video session and then was able to show consistency during the last two days and that seemed to be enough. We also did a lot of drills prior to getting into the bumps and i had a good performance on those which i think counted in my favour.

There wasnt a prescriptive single "test" for the bumps as the trainer said that the thinking at ISIA level is now more about control, accuracy and flow in the bumps as opposed to a rut line at X degrees or do 5 turns and change fall line type of test. We were videoed on a steep black pitch with irregular deepish icy bumps, red/black run with medium sized, a blue rut line and some chopped up variable off piste runs that were bumpy... No upper body steering or waist breaking, rhythmical pole plants, shoulders down the fall line at all times. Consistent pace, quick feet with big absorption and demonstrable separation, No early steering and scraping, medium pace down the fall line, no need to go hell for leather except for the blue rut line where we had to hammer it down.

kinda depends on conditions i think as well. He showed us video of another ISIA group who were in very consistent manufactured bumps in Andorra and they were on a blue pitch. We also were shown an ISTD tech from Zermatt and it was horrific, you gotta be very good in bumps at ISTD tech level...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, i think it will be my short radius turns that are my weakest area.

So common theory and second discipline to go then?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1 wrote:
So common theory and second discipline to go then?

He did Common Theory last May at the same time as me. Only 2nd discipline and he's done. Not that I'm envious or anything!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1, just 2nd did CT this summer, hoping to do the adaptive if we can sort something out at Hemel or MK. I have emailed the adaptive director to see if they will run a set of weekend courses soon if we can get a 8 person group together. One from my tech is based in Surrey and is up for it as well.

My shorts ripped. NehNeh ps. I would also work hard on your longs, making sure your transitions are clean and you are edging early in the upper third of the turn. early little toe edge was a big deal. Huge inclination and only enough seperation at the bottom of the turn to not kill yourself seemed to be the order of the day. we did some very very fast GS turns with pure inclination and it was pretty scary at times with a couple of monster crashes from a few of the others.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, i think my long turns have improved lots actually. On the course i did in Oct i had one of the trainers for just a day, and we were working on long turns - he didn't know my background, asked if i were an instructor and suggested i do my isia!

My short turns however i need to work on the start of the turn, keeping pressure on right from the start. The end of my turn is fairly strong, but i think because of this i almost get flipped into the next turn by the rebound, rather than actively working the ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, not saying they hadnt just that we spent a lot of time on longs and medium radius piste performance. top tip be able to do cloudbursts at high speed without chickening out
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, what's a cloudburst?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, were there any girls in your group?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
two, one lives in France and was some sort of a freeride competitor back in the day, she ripped and got half 6's. re cloudburst check glossary. All passed in our group and our trainer thought we were the strongest ISIA group he had in 17 years as a trainer, he had to call Sean L to ensure no problems about all getting through which hasnt happened in a few years.. All of the morzine ISIA tech group failed apparently.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
All of the morzine ISIA tech group failed apparently.

Shocked Who was the Trainer?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, dont know ask Phil, he told me.... we had video of the last ISIA tech our guy did and only 2 of 8 got it on that occasion. Our group was very good with our top guy being ex Scottish senior Team... I was more than concerned at the end of the first day, thinking i stood no chance if only half or so were going to get through given the generic pass rate.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 28-06-11 12:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
we had video of the last ISIA tech our guy did and only 2 of 8 got it on that occasion. Our group was very good with our top guy being ex GB senior Team...

You're not filling me with confidence! Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, congratulations!
ski holidays
skimottaret, well done
snow report
rob@rar, Cheers Very Happy I'm not feeling so confident after training last week, jumping in the rut-line put everything into sharp relief !
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, dont know ask Phil, he told me....

Just been told that I was wrong on that. Bad pub gossip I'm afraid.

It's been corrected to "not many passed".

I'll try to get the gen when I see the BASS guys next.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
I would also work hard on your longs, making sure your transitions are clean and you are edging early in the upper third of the turn. early little toe edge was a big deal. Huge inclination and only enough seperation at the bottom of the turn to not kill yourself seemed to be the order of the day.

Now here's a thing - as of Saturday I can do that consistently on my telemark skis. Admitedly not on much of a slope because I'm a real wuss at the moment...

...I now "just" need to transfer that back to alpine rolling eyes
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
bumps hmmmmmm.....

... We also were shown an ISTD tech from Zermatt and it was horrific, you gotta be very good in bumps at ISTD tech level...

As a reference, John R from your bumps group in Tignes passed ISTD tech.
latest report
rjs, yeah i heard from John after the course, his bumps and skiing was very very good. ISTD bumps is a big step up from ISIA. The zermatt bumps i saw were huge and they were crashing out badly on most runs at speed.
snow report
skimottaret, Belatedley - well done !
ski holidays
skimottaret, Congratulations; I assume you didn't do too much of it on telemarks. See you at Hemel when it opens?
ski holidays
ski, thanks, ps your advice on the teach was bang on and very helpful......
Nick W, hoping to start doing gates there out of the glare of my boss and other coaches at MK so probably yes...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy