Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs January 2009

Poster: A snowHead
All I can say is "ABSOLUTELY BLOODY BRILLIANT"
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing guess you had a good time!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Twas AWESOME! Had the best time - luckily our car was upgraded to a 4x4 from a ford focus so we were able to get out of the parking space/ ditch to get to the airport to pick up friends! The snow was fantastic - Im a Les Arcs convert!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
The snow was fantastic - Im a Les Arcs convert!

Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee, I must have been there 4 times now... it is a great place, especially for a mixed ability group.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
All I can say is "ABSOLUTELY BLOODY BRILLIANT"
Yes it is a great place, pleased you had a good time. When are you coming back Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You know it makes sense, so good I bought a little apartment. The English haven't heard of it in the way people have heard of Chamonix etc. If you buy a Paradiski ski pass you can even enjoy a free day in the 3 Valleys and Espace Killy so you'll never get bored!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
must admit I was in La Plagne a week ago and popped over to Les Arc on the paridiski pass. I much preferred Les Arc to La Plagne and would definetly look to go stay there next time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am biased but I love the fact that when there's fresh snow you can ski through the trees in Arc 1600, Villaroger and Peisey, if the weather's clear ski down from the Aiguille Rouge...have to wait until April for my next fix.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paul McD, I too have bought in Les Arcs but have to admit for a slight preference for La Plagne. Highly unlikely I would have bought in Les Arcs if the Vanoise wasn't there. Why not buy in La Plagne........? The places we wanted to buy in La Plagne ...Montchavin is where our heart is but it is to low...........and Belle Plagne was out of our price range....I think I need to do more guiding skiing in Les Arcs cos I only manage an hour tops before my skis pointing me towards La Plagne side Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, traitor!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JimW, Just honest and I hate being honest about is as boredsurfin loves it Evil or Very Mad . Cannot find anything in Les Arcs that compares to Pierre Blanches, Les Sources...........just runs in La Plagne I can't wait to do Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, hmm - having done a season in La Plagne - have to say i prefer Les Arcs - I especially love the runs down to Peisey from the Trans Arc, you can just blast down there on a board - its gorgeous!

snowcrazy, might try and get a cheeky late weekend out there in April - but im booked for St Anton in March!

Does anyone else find 1950 like a disney version of a ski resort? It creeped me out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think 1950 looks great with the stone and slate roofs, just a shame I coudn't afford to buy there! I have a place in 1800 and the architecture would give Kevin McCloud (is that the right spelling, Grand Designs) palpitations Shock(
If you haven't tried them, I love the Grand Renard (big fox) and Les Arolles (high altitiude fir trees) reds
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee wrote:
thefatcontroller, hmm - having done a season in La Plagne - have to say i prefer Les Arcs - I especially love the runs down to Peisey from the Trans Arc, you can just blast down there on a board - its gorgeous!

Sorry yes love that run, however it takes me to the Vanoise Shocked Laughing
snow report
I got back from a fantastic 10 full days skiing in Les Arcs just under a week ago, staying in rob@rars very nice and excellently located apartment . The entire Les Arcs ski area really impressed me. The ammount of differing terrain and accessible off piste was fantastic, the area certainly offers something for everybody whatever your level. It was my first time skiing there (but I've skied rather alot of other places) and I only have praise for the place and I will certainly be back, not just this season but for many to come!! Anyway I've been abit busy since getting back but I will be doing a full trip report very soon.

To all still out there and to those going out there soon............................enjoy snowHead
snow report
thefatcontroller, just out of interest, what is it about the La Plagne runs that you prefer (other than you probably know that area better)? Steeper, gentler, wider, narrower, bumpier, flatter??
ski holidays
Oh please, chaps, I'd reached the decision that I'll be OK with a Decouverte pass, please don't tell me La Plagne is so wonderful that I'll have to keep on going there. wink
latest report
Hurtle, by comparison I find La Plagne a bit dull, but I'm certain it's because I don't know the resort as well as I know Les Arcs. In this case I think familiarity breeds contentment.
snow report
rob@rar, Yes, I think one need to really know a resort to be able to appreciate its finer qualities. Know what I mean wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, Yes, I think one need to really know a resort to be able to appreciate its finer qualities. Know what I mean wink

There are obvious exceptions to that very sensible proposition Wink
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller, just out of interest, what is it about the La Plagne runs that you prefer (other than you probably know that area better)? Steeper, gentler, wider, narrower, bumpier, flatter??

Good question, we ask oursleves that every time we land in Les Arcs and immediatly head for La Plagne Confused I think it is long runs. We are happy to travel for long runs and there are more on La Plagne side (I think). There is no denying we have a great, great sentimental attachment to Montchavin and Pierre Blanche, which I think is a 7km run, is our favourite by far.

I think there is an element of knowing the area better and being spolit by having the Vanoise there. Think what we should do when we come over in March is buy a Les Arcs only pass and make an effort to ski that area (Won't happen Toofy Grin ). Shocking to admit that we haven't skied most of the runs over at 1600 and around 1800 Embarassed . The problem is if we get to close to the Vanoise I can hear Pierre Blanche and Cyril in La Ferme in Montchavin shouting the genepe is ready. Laughing . Think we need to be guided around Les Arcs.

Thats the beauty of the area, the Vanoise is there and to be used if you want.

Does posting this wink mean than readers don't know what you are saying Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

...........and Belle Plagne was out of our price range....

so you had to buy in Les Arcs .
snow report
thefatcontroller, all I can say is "Aiguille Rouge" if you like long runs...

FtS and I like to share La Ros jokes from time to time Smile
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Quote:

...........and Belle Plagne was out of our price range....

so you had to buy in Les Arcs .

Yep.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller, all I can say is "Aiguille Rouge" if you like long runs...

FtS and I like to share La Ros jokes from time to time Smile

Only taking the p*ss over wink , not been a good day ignore me.

Please for anyone reading this, I am not knocking Les Arcs, you woud be damn lucky to go on holiday there (like imagine being booked to go to Meribel and getting dumped back of to Les Arcs and cancelling Shocked ). I really think we need to just spend a day doing all the runs as there are loads we haven't tried. Maybe we should meet up with snowcrazy. Cool
snow report
Quote:

spend a day doing all the runs as there are loads we haven't tried. Maybe we should meet up with snowcrazy.

Shocked Hope you are fit!
latest report
rob@rar, Been racking my brain last night still trying to find answers to your question over why we like La Plagne just a smidgen more than Les Arcs.

First time we arrived in the area was to Montchavin with Esprit. They sold us our lift passes and there was no discussion by them of a 'La Pagne' or 'Paradski' pass, they sold us a Paradski. From Montchavin the Vanoise is so easy to get to so we got used to poping between areas. I think that has stuck with us ever since. We don't view the area as 'Les Arcs' or 'La Plagne' we very much view it as 'Paradski'. The Vanoise takes 3-4 minutes which is way faster than many chair lifts in the whole area. We are quite happy to ski Les Arcs in the morning and pop across to La Plagne after lunch or vice versa. Yep, think that might be the answer to your question we have always bought Paradski passes since we started going to the area and view the whole area as one with the Navoise being a big bubble Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Quote:

spend a day doing all the runs as there are loads we haven't tried. Maybe we should meet up with snowcrazy.

Shocked Hope you are fit!
I gather from that post that you have spent several minutes in company of snowcrazy Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
thefatcontroller, I used the Vanoise Express a lot the season before last, and also saw the whole Paradiski domain as one area rather than two areas. This season though I've not been across the VE, preferring to spend more time exploring the many bits of Les Arcs I've not seen yet. Probably would have been better for me to buy a Les Arcs pass rather than Paradiski.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 4-02-09 13:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:
Probably would have been better for me to buy a Les Arcs pass rather than Paradiski.

Couldn't ski very far New Year trip as mrsfatcontroller got injured. 2 cups of coffee in Montchavin cost about 280 euro Sad rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

Does anyone else find 1950 like a disney version of a ski resort? It creeped me out.

Nah, thought it was amazing. Didn't stay there but accommodation seems lightly better placed than resorts featuring a 2 mile hike in ski boots or a 45 min drive on a ski bus....

PS: Where has this "creeped out" thing come from?? No doubt another Americanisation....??
snow report
Just back from first trip to Les Arcs 1800Nadenoodlee, have to agree we absolutely loved it! Loved the convenience of the ski in ski out accommodation at 1800 at rob@rar's lovely apartment.

We had snow nearly every day and visibility wasn't great so 1800 was great as the skiing down through the trees suited us. The lifts up to 1950 were closed because of high winds one day but we had more than enough skiing at 1800 to keep us busy although we did get to ski a few days up there. We did our first blacks as well courtesy of the thread on confidence building blacks on snowheads! Smile

Having been up to see 1950/2000 I have to say we preferred 1800. Friends were up there at the same time as us and they suffered more because of the weather. We will definitely be back as we didn't even make it over to La Plagne.
snow report
ruthie,
Quote:

We did our first blacks as well courtesy of the thread on confidence building blacks on snowheads!
I'm going in March - great to hear a good report about the accommodation! wink - and would be interested to read this thread, which I must have missed. Could you supply a link, please? I'm having no luck with the search function. Thanks.
latest report
Hurtle, Here is the link

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1075410&highlight=black+runs+peisey#1075410

We also did the Refuge under the Grand Col and also Ecureils at Peisey. It helped that we had lots of snow so no ice etc. Beware at the bottom of Ecureils was a large mound of snow as my son found out when he did a tuck from half way down the slope and had an unexpected opportunity to go airborne! His ski came off, he caught with one hand and promptly skied the rest on one ski!
latest report
ruthie, thank you!
ski holidays
ruthie wrote:
His ski came off, he caught with one hand and promptly skied the rest on one ski!

Impressive!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy