Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski helmets do not work at speeds above 20 km/h, claims international expert in sports medicine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
David Goldsmith, Seriously man, you need to get a hobby or something. Every single post I read of yours is bs about helmets being the work of Satan or somesuch.

Did a helmet steal your wife? Did your daughter run off with a greasy foreign helmet you didn't approve of, and now lives in Evilhelmetland, with a greasy helmet baby?

More seriously, ever tried skiing trees at speed? How about smacking your head on a hard bit of ice after catching an edge and knocking yourself out for 15 minutes? By the way, you don't need to answer any of these questions because I don't give a hoot what your answer will be.

And yes, before you ask, I'm probably bought and paid for by the helmat makers cartel...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah wrote:
Axsman wrote:
Timmaah, Tosh.

A skier who is going fast down a black piste, loses control, skis fly off and slides down the hill uncontrollably (This happens so often its very real) poses a much bigger threat than a slow skier who did the same thing only , slower. Comparing a falling slow skier to a non falling fast skier is ridiculous.

The key (which we both appear to agree on) is control, or lack of it. Out of control skiers are dangerous to themselves and everyone else. it's self evident that the faster they are travelling the more energy they are carrying, the longer it takes them to stop, and the more severe the consequences of any impact.

Except, a skier who is going fast down a black piste would be more competent (lets assume this) and thus would have a much higher din than the slower beginner, so the skis wouldn't fly off and he wouldn't slide down the hill uncontrollably.

Sorry, but that is pretty well complete tosh again.

Yes, he may be more confident. He may also have his bindings set higher (although that is by no means sure). But that does NOT mean his skis won't come off. Bindings have two jobs - 1 is to keep the skis attached to you when you are skiing, the other is to release the skis when (preferably just before) the leverage exerted by those skis in a fall is about to damage the leg.

The second purpose means that bindings with a higher setting are just as likely to release in a high speed fall as the lower setting bindings are in a low speed fall.

Ski racers have their bindings set higher than almost any recreational skier will, but their skis still often come off in a fall.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The large majority of skiers I see skiing fast down icy black pitches with barely a turn are doing so because they're out of control and that's all they've got. In fact the ones who are most obviously in control are often amongst the slowest down.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges, exactly.

Timmaah Lets NOT assume that just because some to$$er is going fast down a black, he is competent, or has his DIN set particularly high. Lets not assume anything. Lets just go with the simple self evident truth that any skier out of control is dangerous, and that an out of control skier travelling fast is more dangerous than an out of control skier travelling slowly.

it's simple - increased speed = increased kinetic energy = increased risk of damage in a collision. No assumptions required*.

Well maybe one. the above assumes equal mass. If it was Mrs Axs Hooning down the black, she'd only have about half the kinetic energy of Me when I was cruisin a blue Embarassed snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy