Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do people wear their ski jacket to travel in?

Poster: A snowHead
I wear a ski jacket to travel in - its normally not the one I ski in - I have a cheap ski jacket just for use as a winter coat. Its a TKMAXX special, but at £30 was cheaper than most winter coats and has already done nearly 3 years stirling service inc. one ski trip when new. I did wear my actual ski jacket when I flew to VT in Dec. and also when I went to VT on the train last April to save on space, but would have carried it separately if I'd have had the space.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't stay in Travel Inns. The only one I have stayed in smelled of cats pee. I wouldn't take my ski kit anywhere like that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've always in the past strapped my helmet onto my rucksack for hand luggage and never had a problem. Wouldnt like it in the hold, as I wouldnt know what stresses it had been subjected to

But apparently Thompson no longer allow it and grenoble airport have signs up everywhere saying its no longer allowed and they will be crushed at security. Lots of reports of how bad grenoble is and how stricktly they are enforcing this rule on the web

Also appears Thompson and Easyjet no longer count boots or boot bags as allowable extras if you pay for your ski's to be shipped. They must go in your single hold bag
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never worn my ski jacket - i've always put it in my case. However, I am flying with Ryanair next Saturday, so will wear my ski jacket.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fergus:
Quote:

Mine's a hard shell

So's mine...and I always feel a bit nervous about skiing in France.

Sammy the Snail.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It depends whether it is the only jacket you are taking.

If it is, then wear it to travel. Otherwise wear your non-ski jacket to travel in (it will probably be heavier than the ski jacket).

Or if the airline has low baggage allowances, wear both, one on top of the other for check in and while getting on/off the aircraft.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kookie30, Nope......never everything I need goes into an 80ltr trolley. Might even use my pack and ski bag. but the whole thing is geared to being able to carry and move things a decent distance with no problems.

If travelling from resort to resort and needing to ski asap..then I might wear ski gear, but only then.

Travelling is a hassle so I want to be as comfortable as poss....so wear civvies..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wearing the ski jacket in the airport is pretty naff. It's often done for brand kudos usually by Ebay Spyder wearers. Are blue and yellow 'this season'? Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski,
Quote:

Wearing the ski jacket in the airport is pretty naff
Bollux.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
Mollerski,
Quote:

Wearing the ski jacket in the airport is pretty naff
Bollux.

Ok, it's pretty 'bollux' then. Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
honestly you shouldnt worry what other people think

the opinions of any skiiers that are so judgemental to look down on you arent worth worrying about
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definately wear the jacket. Has the added advantage of people that you met on previous holidays coming up to you in the airport because they recognised the jacket. Happened to me twice now. If only I was as memorable as my jacket appears to be.... rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you DON't wear your ski jacket, what if the airline loss your luggage?

What are you going to wear walking from the airport terminal to the shuttle bus? You t-shirt???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Wearing the ski jacket in the airport is pretty naff. It's often done for brand kudos usually by Ebay Spyder wearers.

Er... presume most people wear a jacket when travelling (esp to colder climate), seems sensible to wear the one you have with you which is custom made for the job. Unless of course you are someone who is a fashion victim and is worried about their image or sports a lurid neon number..........

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 30-01-09 8:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
?????????????????????????? FFS... if you want to wear your ski jacket, do so. Personally, I find it too warm with a mid layer so I don't.. and take a normal jacket

There is a choice here...it ain't a uniform and it is not a crime one way or another. .... you decide whether you look an idiot or not

With banal questions like these it is a wonder people can even find their way to getting to resorts... what to wear, how many layers, how to carry skis...etc etc etc etc etc
snow conditions
Providing I have luggage space and weight available then I never travel wearing the jackest. A fleece or soft shell as airports are so bleedin hot.
snow report
JT, bit harsh don't you think? If people get responses in that tone they might think that this is a very unfriendly place and not bother posting again.
ski holidays
Blimey I never thought there'd be so much passion or such polarity! I always wear my jacket - weight reduction plus insulation at the other end. If I'm too hot, I take it off Wink As a Northerner living in "the Sarf", I seem to be able to cope with both heat and cold Smile
snow conditions
skimum, There are two possible responses should one exasperate at a question that one considers a waste of ones time; one can ignore the question OR one can waste ones time penning a reply detailing ones annoyance at being made to pen a reply to the waste of time question.

I hope that clarifies JT's, position wink
ski holidays
JT, Are you forgetting that the OP is new to sH's? Or that this is her first ever ski trip? Don't you ever remember doing something for the first time and being a bit nervous about it? Those issues apart, I found this thread quite interesting thank you very much, beats the hell out of yet another snow chain or boots in luggage question. Must be nice to live in your world where knowledge is taken for granted and the need is never felt to ask a question wink
latest report
never wear a ski jacket.. too hot.. just a tee shirt and a jumper passport in back pocket and maybe a book or newspaper.. should the plane crash on some snowy outcrop and i survive ill just steal some injured persons jacket
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, thanks, it does Laughing
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, another advantage of taking ones own skis and boots as one could then ski off the mountain....providing the avvy risk not above 2.
ski holidays
Hmmm, maybe I should start wearing my fartbag to travel in, after all... Laughing

PS [edit] for the benefit of the OP, 'fartbag' is vernacular for one-piece ski suit - very untrendy, or in the process of making a come-back, not quite sure which at the moment. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, another advantage of taking ones own skis and boots as one could then ski off the mountain....providing the avvy risk not above 2.
without a helmet? are you mental!!!!!
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, imn my hand luggage of course!

PS Can I take my helmet in hand luggage?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
Ok...some questions of this nature are more on the lines of...do I look an idiot if I do this or that..

Schuss in Boots, so, you only think some of the questions here are anal..and just take offence at my take on this one. And no, in this type of instance, I never worried about it.

The same question can and is asked many times..and I agree the search facility is useless.. but some people seem to need every little thing certified and checked...
It doesn't take much sense to realise that some jackets aren't a good idea to sweat in an airport in... and apologies to the OP if they really don't know... but I sense the real question is will I look a dork...?

And FTS is right... too much time on my hands at a certain time...but jesus...sometimes.. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, At least on tinernet you can ask the question and be annoymous so if it's confirmed you will look like a dork no one knows who you are Toofy Grin
snow report
I used to wear mine but since I bought a white one I pack it. I wear my black jacket for travelling and apres !
ski holidays
jan, Do you find the airport and plane dirtier than a chairlift and a bar, or does your black jacket have a flotation device fitted incase of a sea ditching?
snow report
For Apres there is only one type of jacket to be worn!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41171

snow conditions
To the OP.....stick around and you'll soon end up wearing Arcteryk ski kit, Hestra gloves, god knows what helmet and Mission skis wink Laughing at least Laughing
latest report
JT wrote:
Schuss in Boots, so, you only think some of the questions here are anal..and just take offence at my take on this one. And no, in this type of instance, I never worried about it.

Your assumption is incorrect, I didn't say that snow chains/boot luggage questions are anal, I said they didn't interest me (since neither apply to me). The main difference between you and me is that I simply don't read the threads that don't interest me, nor comment on them. And no, I didn't take offence at your take on this one - I took offence at the manner in which you delivered it. Which IMHO was patronising and rude.

JT wrote:
The same question can and is asked many times..and I agree the search facility is useless.. but some people seem to need every little thing certified and checked...

Yes, it's called lack of self confidence - quite common when attempting something new and 'out of comfort zone'. One day, maybe, we'll all be totally knowledgeable and have all the answers - but then we wouldn't need this forum would we? wink
latest report
I think you all need to go skiing..

PS the snow's great out here...
ski holidays
Quote:

Absolutely, the Skibbettes and I turn up like the Michelin men, Jackets and boots etc.

You actually wear your ski boots on the planeSkibb, ?? Puzzled
snow report
bertie bassett,

I have just come back...now I need to read all through this forum to find out where I go from here..Laughing Laughing Laughing

Schuss in Boots, maybe you need to read more then..to fill that hole in your lack of confidence..then you'll be totally knowledgable and enthused..
latest report
Kookie30, it's obligatory, otherwise people might mistake you for a chav, off to get some winter sun in the Canaries or some other "chav central" resort Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I don't wear my ski jacket to travel in. I just find it a bit too warm and it would end up being another thing to carry. I also take my boots separately in a boot bag and have never had any problems checking them into the hold along with my roller-bag...
snow conditions
JT, Good idea.... think I'll start with Inner Tip Lead.... that'll help no end... wink Laughing

bertie bassett, I shall take your advice..... starting in 3 hours..... Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy