Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
johnboy,

Quote:

I am not generally a fan of froggie land

Meet your partner! They do have nice resorts which is about the only upside
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller, I agree with you on that. Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Of course there is no best ski resort for everyone, depends on your priorities and preferences.
For me, the best I've experienced is Big White. Regular fresh light powder, tons of trees and great inbounds off-piste, no crowds, laid back atmosphere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello. My friend and I are creating a resource for ranking and searching ski resorts according to your requirements. https://snowtrips.io
The USA and Canada are still available. It will be cool if you take a look and give feedback.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The best can vary for different reasons!

I hate Cham for skiing because the walk/bus is a headache and most ski areas are average but I’ve had the best memories there. Met friends for life and had once in a lifetime experiences.

Paradiski is my fave ski area as it suits my style but it lacks a nightlife to rival other resorts so isn’t perfect.

Val and Tignes have their own plus points especially the nightlife in Val and the size of the ski area. But not my fave.

Memories mean more than just a resort to me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I love Spamiaz. Full of soft lovely spammy runs and a decent spam fritter at the end of the day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, I think I prefer Bumpio, though you'd only want to go there once every 12years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well that's it. If you're going to Bumpio, I've had enough. I'm going to Flouncio.

See you next season.............
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sff, I had a look at your website and found no useful information. Sorry
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want to know what the parking in European ski resorts was like in 2003-2006 have a look here

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76751&highlight=
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76757&highlight=
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76763&highlight=
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76765&highlight=
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rogg wrote:
Well that's it. If you're going to Bumpio, I've had enough. I'm going to Flouncio...

Flouncio has that nice restaurant, Resto Rection, run by Threadio.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would go for the whole combination of snow/skiing/weather and memories.

I`ve skiied Verbier twice in January with not enough snow to get to the village, so not on the top of my list.
Flaine was the first time I saw rain in a ski resort; a deeply depressing sight. I don`t like Flaine much.

I was in VDI for my 21st birthday; I like val d`Isere. A lot.
I went back more than a few times.

I like the three valleys, especially after they opened up the un-pisted link routes as pistes; you can cover some serious mileage in a day.
Had my first Oyster in Courcheval 1850, just dont think about money!

Heavenly was nice, but you spent longer on the lift than skiing.

Tremblant is a pimple of a resort, but the weather (-28 before wind chill), was memorable.
So was the lunatic coach driver on the transfer.

Obertauern was very good, good skiing, good weather, good snow, mad drunk germans. I would go back, some epic, hazy memories and good company.

St Anton, became a firm favourite, Mooservit in the evening, the whole Arlberg by day, off-piste in Lech and Zurs, lunch in St Christoph.
Got stuck in Lech once as the snow closed the Flexen pass to get back to St Anton; chalet girls had a panic attack, when seven did not show for dinner that evening.
That`s what your twenties are for!

Chamonix, St Gervais, Megeve, Pas d`la Casa, Soldeu (Andorra is under-rated), Chateau D`ouex, couple of small Italian resorts I skied in the early `80s.

All have stand out memories that made them "the best" (apart from Flaine and Verbier), only place I would never bother with again; even with a gun to my head: Borrovets.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnboy, with you on France. The best for me in 50 years of Skiing( Europe only) is Zermatt. Great runs, fabulous off piste if you want it, highest lift served skiing in Europe, great hotels at less than French prices. Surely the best views imaginable from all points. Also I prefer pidgin German to French. Also over to Italy for a change of language and currency. Oh and easy to get to from Liverpool, (relatively)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sff wrote:
Hello. My friend and I are creating a resource for ranking and searching ski resorts according to your requirements. https://snowtrips.io
The USA and Canada are still available. It will be cool if you take a look and give feedback.

Where do these ratings come from? I live in Whitefish and can't envision an "off piste" rating of "bad". What does that even mean in regard to "off piste" anyway? Somehow our "treeskiing", which almost all of our unmarked area is, is "Great". This makes zero sense. Is it "bad" based on acreage, snow quality, what? Certainly we have plenty of it. I'm envisioning "off piste" as being some treeless area which is never groomed? Since this is the NW, and below tree line, if it's not being actively cleared there's always going to be trees growing. We have cut trails that rarely get groomed, is this a complaint about, what, lack of grooming? So I can't even guess how a rating was assigned.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow! A 12 year thread resurrections!

Is that a record? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh wait, it's the poster's first post. A spam! rolling eyes

Welcome to snowhead. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Whistler, Chamonix, Val Thorens, Val d'Isere - all for different reasons...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-08-21 7:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
You'd have to go a long way to beat Beckton Alp on a wet Wednesday night.
The diesel particulate in the rain seemed to give the slope a certain zip similar to the first run of the day on fresh corduroy.
From the top you could look to the north-west and see the magnificent floodlights of the Boleyn Ground, and when there were lulls in the traffic on the A13 you could hear the despondent groans of the faithful looking for the fortune which is perpetually elusive.
Après would be a pint or two at the 3rd sporting mecca of the east, the Circus Tavern - happy days.
latest report
Bye @roggio!
snow conditions
Verbier
Chamonix
St.Anton

Where is Whitegold anyway?
snow report
@WindOfChange, you forgot the piquant aroma of the sewage treatment when the breeze is from the East.
snow report
@WindOfChange, Sadly the Becton Alp is no more
snow report
johnE wrote:
@WindOfChange, Sadly the Becton Alp is no more

The site is just fenced off and overgrown now. I always thought it was too steep for most, super fast in the wet but only a tiny run out which froze over on occasions making it a serious accident blackspot. Aside from that, the talk was always that it was built on toxic waste from the gas works and that the building was dug into the protective clay cap and directly on the toxic waste. Hardly Zermatt eh?
ski holidays
@Pruman, becton alp is not the only abandoned ski resort, for example this one

http://youtube.com/v/9BSgkeZQ-oE
https://newrepublic.com/article/154261/climate-change-italy-alps-ruins-ski-resorts
or even this one, which I think was abandoned before it opened. https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/1975-nationwide-kirkby-ski-slope/287478761868762/
snow report
johnE wrote:
@Pruman, becton alp is not the only abandoned ski resort, for example this one

http://youtube.com/v/9BSgkeZQ-oE
https://newrepublic.com/article/154261/climate-change-italy-alps-ruins-ski-resorts
or even this one, which I think was abandoned before it opened. https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/1975-nationwide-kirkby-ski-slope/287478761868762/

I sneaked in to the Nevele to see the comedian Jackie Mason.

Brilliant place, brilliant gig.
latest report
Pruman wrote:
Hardly Zermatt eh?

Exactly, you can't have your Zermatt après at the former home of the World Darts Championship - Scene of Phil The Power Taylor's glory days.

Or The Boleyn Tavern ( Named after somebody called Anne who allegedly had a glass of mead there) or admire the bronze statue of Moore, Peters and Hurst ( & Wilson), on the corner of green street outside, or admire the cockney wit of Blossom & Browne's Sycamore laundry service:

In contrast Zermatt has nothing going for it.
snow conditions
What a great question and having travelled extensively around our wonderful world and it’s varied descents and acents over vertical cliff drops off Lake Tittikarta to the crumby dunes of mount Sinai. Yad Moss and wear dale and the whole of the Pennines range is interchangeable as a top spotter and by extension the same respect is granted to Rabbies Scotland and Mike and crews Wales. Cornwall is No 1. In the world for surf on its numerous days joined with the Bundoran shamsteamers of Ireland.
ski holidays
If you found the above photo funny (I sure did) you might like what you'll find when you google "The Quiet Woman Sign". It is a restaurant in Corona del Mar CA.
ski holidays
sibhusky wrote:
sff wrote:

Where do these ratings come from? I live in Whitefish and can't envision an "off piste" rating of "bad". What does that even mean in regard to "off piste" anyway? Somehow our "treeskiing", which almost all of our unmarked area is, is "Great". This makes zero sense. Is it "bad" based on acreage, snow quality, what? Certainly we have plenty of it. I'm envisioning "off piste" as being some treeless area which is never groomed? Since this is the NW, and below tree line, if it's not being actively cleared there's always going to be trees growing. We have cut trails that rarely get groomed, is this a complaint about, what, lack of grooming? So I can't even guess how a rating was assigned.

Hello. Thank you for your feedback. I will try to understand and answer later.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
@sff, I had a look at your website and found no useful information. Sorry

Tell me more, what exactly were you looking for?
snow conditions
sff wrote:
sibhusky wrote:
sff wrote:

Dear friend. We have added hints for those rating criteria that you are having difficulties with. What you said about the Whitefish rating according to those criteria, it only reflects your disagreement with it. But your disagreement alone is not enough to recognize the rating as a mistake. Whitefish may have a high level according to these criteria, but relative to other resorts, it has exactly the rating that is indicated on the website. The rating is formed based on the reviews of users who have been there before. The rating system is currently disabled, that is, you can't leave your feedback yet, but it will work again soon. You can leave your rating to the resort and this will affect its rating. There are contacts here with us and me in particular. I will be glad to talk to you https://snowtrips.io/feedback/
snow report
Why don’t we all just make up a load of spurious reviews. Clearly all @sff wants is traffic. We could have a bit of fun whilst giving him it.

Telluride. Snow soggy, food inedible, rental skis too long (in the tooth) - that sort of thing.
snow conditions
sff wrote:
sff wrote:
sibhusky wrote:
sff wrote:

Dear friend. We have added hints for those rating criteria that you are having difficulties with. What you said about the Whitefish rating according to those criteria, it only reflects your disagreement with it. But your disagreement alone is not enough to recognize the rating as a mistake. Whitefish may have a high level according to these criteria, but relative to other resorts, it has exactly the rating that is indicated on the website. The rating is formed based on the reviews of users who have been there before. The rating system is currently disabled, that is, you can't leave your feedback yet, but it will work again soon. You can leave your rating to the resort and this will affect its rating. There are contacts here with us and me in particular. I will be glad to talk to you https://snowtrips.io/feedback/

Any other site would give you some idea of the questions that were asked to elicit the ratings and a feel for the number of people rating the place. For all I know this is one disaffected snowboarder who had a bad day. There's no context, so really this is like darts thrown at a dartboard.
latest report
DJL wrote:
Why don’t we all just make up a load of spurious reviews. Clearly all @sff wants is traffic. We could have a bit of fun whilst giving him it.

Telluride. Snow soggy, food inedible, rental skis too long (in the tooth) - that sort of thing.

Thank you for saying that. We will create a system for filtering spurious reviews. And the weight of your review in the rating of the resort will depend on your karma on the site. For any spurious review, you will get banned forever. We make this site so that we can use it as well.
snow report
sff wrote:
sff wrote:
sibhusky wrote:
sff wrote:

Based on this paragon of English language clarity one assumes that the site is not aimed at English speakers nor those that require any clarity or objectivity in ranking systems. In short a huge waste of time ( as attempting to rank ski resorts is - the best questions being Is it snowing right now? Did it snow yesterday? How much?)
latest report
Seems crazy someone would suggest other web resources of debatable quality as all you ever need is right here:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=8
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy