Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades

Poster: A snowHead
billo89, Your Mum called, can you stop messing with the internet and get your homework done, otherwise you're not having a Munch Bunch yoghurt after your turkey twizzlers. Oh, and it's bath night tonight as well
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bit late now mate discussions over!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
billo89, my dad is harder than your dad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK BIT RANDOM BUT IL IGNORE THAT
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nick0861, my dad would batter your dad.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Your dad couldnt batter a sausage! haha
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The FIS racers are apparently using 120's in training now apparently it helps with balance and ski position. There is no excuse for snowblades any shop that sells them should be burnt down
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
billo89 with powdercords earlier ...

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wow, that's some serious edge angles Laughing !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why are so many of you 'anti' blade ( short ski, whatever) ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mitchell, There are indeed some very fine skier/boarders who can blade and do so well - they would probably look graceful and in control skiing with a cow strapped to one foot and a pickup to the other.

But for many - blading seems a short cut for adolescent numpties hurtling out of control on the slopes who cannot be arsed to learn to board, ski telemark or even walk in control.... Snow is wasted on them. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mitchell, why are so few people pro blade?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's a reason you never see good skiers on blades. People who can ski challenging stuff well tend to go towards stiff, longer skis. Saying that, I keep meaning to blag some from the rental shop to see how hard I can ski em without dying.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC wrote:
There's a reason you never see good skiers on blades. People who can ski challenging stuff well tend to go towards stiff, longer skis.

That's a good point. If you can ski blades well, why would you want to?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, Don't ever take them in the soft stuff, you will die. Laughing
ski holidays
I ski to quite a decent standard off-piste (deep powder, crust etc) but sometimes use blades as a (as Laundryman said) trainig aid on-piste. It always shocks me the abusive comments I get from saddo's (often Brits) when on blades.
snow report
Amusing and interesting thread. I tought my missus to ski on 99cm blades last year. At 5ft 2 they didn't appear too short. She'd never ski'd before but after 3 days was getting to grips with it. By the end of the week youd've thought it was her 4th or 5th holiday. She's going longer this time as she feels she's ready for proper skiing. Blades are fantastic to learn on IMO, her balance is A1 so i'm sure she'll be good on skis.

I will admit 17 stone 6ft 6 grown men should leave them to the kids.
latest report
ive got 3 pairs!

some 80's and two pairs of revell8's designed for off piste. i'll race any skiier down any double black any day Wink
snow report
TROUBLE, that's akin to the old 'Ski Evolutif' system where you start on short skis and get longer ones as you progress. My first ski lessons were on 1m skis - 1cm longer than your wife's blades.
ski holidays
Cptsideways wrote:
ive got 3 pairs!

some 80's and two pairs of revell8's designed for off piste. i'll race any skiier down any double black any day Wink

Deal. I'll have Patrol's number handy Wink I can't think of a single double black here you could actually ski on blades.
latest report
DaveC, can you explain? I've never seen a piste that I could use skis on but not blades. I must also admit that I'm a lot faster on skis.
ski holidays
chris, double blacks are not pisted.
latest report
Most of the single blacks here aren't pisted either. Fernie double blacks are generally very steep tree runs, or at the end of tough traverses and ubersteep with cliff bands/no fall zones. If you want to take blades in there, nevermind race a competent skier, best of luck.
latest report
http://far.redtree.com/tm/tm.py?rundesc=gorbiebowl

Decent example of one of the easier double blacks..
snow conditions
OK. I admit it. NOt only have I defended people who snowblade, I bought some a few years ago. Now, having just got back from Tamworth, I appreciate that they're used by idiot teenagers and middle-aged blokes who obviously buy clothes at BHS. Something they all have in common is that they have no idea how to carve, nor do they have any concept of piste safety.
ski holidays
interesting thread eh?

My wide 120's will go anywhere off piste a boarder can go, they float beautifully on powder, you can turn super fast and in the steeps & trees they are simply divine.

Normal blades i admit are crap, too short, too narrow and only good on piste. however on piste on mine i can carve proper laydowns down to my elbows on smooth piste, like a good boarder can. I board, ski & skiboard so know the diference.
Seriously on unpisted steeps the 120's skiboards are amazing.

just because their fun doesnt mean their crap in the right hands Wink
snow report
I put this to the test on the Cornice Express (Chair6) at Kirkwood on a windswept powder day. I took on two mountain operations foreman, one on telemark powder skis, the other on a board, I was on snowblades. Victory to the snowblading skier! Razz
snow conditions
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't ski as well as you think you do Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cptsideways,
What make are your 120's ?

After a very troubled week skiing for my wife last week I,m trying to presuade her to 'start' again on blades as from experience they are way way easier to 'learn' on than 'normal' planks.
Once the skill level is attained you can simply step up ski length ( if you want ), or stay on the short ones.
Also the expereince of a friend of mine, his wife simply coundnt get the hang of skiing even after a few weeks holidaying till she eventually tried blades. She now can access all the mountain & in total control.
I would have thought anything that helps the learning curve would be well received but obviously not Puzzled
ski holidays
I thought blades were only 100cm long? Maybe as technology 'advances' they are becoming more and more like normal skis?!
latest report
arv,
The name Blades was 'coined' by Salomon who used it initially on their 99 model & now, I think , their 120 model. There are various makes from the states, such as revel8, spruce etc that refer to these 'short skis ' if you like, as ski boards. The longer ones go up to 130.
Also worth bearing in mind that shorter planks will put less stress on kness etc so may be better suited to the not 100% 'fit' amongst us.
snow report
After some very serious health issues which had affected my skiing both physically and mentally (real confidence issues) I thought I'd probably not ski again. As we have a chalet in the Grand Massif the idea of going there but not skiing was dreadful and would obviously have affected my family as well. So I decided to get really fit and was advised to try salomon axess 120's, I've used them for 4 weeks in total and almost from the moment I got on them I knew that my skiing days were far from over Very Happy I'm now skiing better than I ever have with miles more confidence, in fact I don't feel nervous at all (although I don't do blacks). Last weekend I used some Attraxion 6 154's and movement spicey 163's Shocked and really enjoyed myself, I've now ordered some attraxions but it's thanks to the 120's........I definately think there is a place for short skis and it isn't always people on blades that have no style or control, there are plenty about on skis, boards, blades, bobskis etc.

Mitchell, I really would recommend your wife tries the 120's, I'm sure they'll do the trick Very Happy
snow report
DaveC, looks great. I would be able to get through the tree sections quicker on blades than my 104mm waist powder skis, though. Cool
snow conditions
If you genuinely want to know whether to use blades in the GM here is an honest answer.

Dont even think about going to the top of the mountain in Flaine (les grand platieries) or you will be walking for about 3 miles to get to the descents.
It is hard enough to try and ski the flat bit at the top without a lot of poles.

Also the links between some of the villages can be flat so loads more walking. In short (like the blades) dont do it.
latest report
ianbradders wrote:
If you genuinely want to know whether to use blades in the GM here is an honest answer.

Dont even think about going to the top of the mountain in Flaine (les grand platieries) or you will be walking for about 3 miles to get to the descents.
It is hard enough to try and ski the flat bit at the top without a lot of poles.

Also the links between some of the villages can be flat so loads more walking. In short (like the blades) dont do it.

Blades are a lot easier to "skate" on than full length skis, so you won't need the poles.
snow conditions
Cptsideways, I bet they won't.

Winterhighland, you can hardly compare your skill on blades to that of a telemarker.
snow report
I agree Alex Heney. Much easier to just "walk" whilst still having them on.
snow report
I think there are one or two more important things to worry about than what length of composite material one has connected to one's feet! I do find it odd why some people seem to view users of blades as some kind of sub-human species. I mean, there is even someone above saying shops that sell them should "burnt down". I'm sure that's tongue in cheek but I still can;t imagine why someone else's choice of ski would bother you? I have a set of blades and usually hve a day out of a week on them just for a bit of a change. I don't expect to be viewed as some kind of Fred West as a result!
ski holidays
.....hhmm.... so the flack blades get seem to be based on snobbery by skiers who have not tried them or consider them below their stature wink
snow report
Quote:

I don't expect to be viewed as some kind of Fred West as a result!

Well you'd better get used, its like any scenario in human history, the majority riddicule or worse the minority. But you do have to admit for a competant skier blades are pretty stupid Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy