Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades

Poster: A snowHead
DaveC wrote:
Most of the single blacks here aren't pisted either. Fernie double blacks are generally very steep tree runs, or at the end of tough traverses and ubersteep with cliff bands/no fall zones. If you want to take blades in there, nevermind race a competent skier, best of luck.

*Shudders at the memory of a very tracked out traverse to Sky Dive and Decline*
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everyone who is deriding blades, must post a video of themselves on their big grown up skis !

Then I'll tell YOU if YOU are even remotely likely to be able to ride blades properly Twisted Evil Let alone comment on them Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 30-01-09 13:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Robbof wrote:
demos wrote:
Blades are as acceptable as boards. That is to say, we all would prefer they were never invented.

FFS..... what an embarassing statement.

Ok, I will rephrase: Boards are as acceptable as boards which are manufactured post-1990. That is to say, we all would prefer they never existed.

Is this better? Blush
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
demos, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

beeryletcher, In all honestly blades as a training tool are efffective and do produce results. This and scooting people around the resort who dont want to have big ski's

But as an all day mountain ski they suck and are very limited in what they can do. I have no issue with them really I have skid on them and have used them for training but when it comes to a day on the mountain a nice pair of GS skis or a good all mountain ski is the only way to go

ADMIN What is the chance of a forum for Blades so we can remove them from our daily business Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ordhan, Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beeryletcher, this is me, can I manage blades?

http://uk.youtube.com/v/fFqQOlYE4EE
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
and done well they look amazing which can hardly be said for blades.

Why on earth would someone care what someone else looked like sking?!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
awksquawk, exactly, but imagine this on blades ...

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris, Certainly not - you can't even manage to find the mountains properly ! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
awksquawk, I take it that's you driving the pink Vauxhall Nova then...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hyweljenkins, Toofy Grin Looks ridiculous but I wouldn't dwell on it!

stoatsbrother, Damn! Sussed!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well was in St Foy today on my skiboards and up at the black "off tracks" unpisted area off the top of Aguille i bumped into the Goretex grand raid off piste compo Smile a timed section

Asked if i could enter but entries were already in. however the lass running it said i could have an impromtu go anyway.

Been asked if i'd like to join the competition at another resort as i would have done rather well apparently...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cptsideways, did they have a marmot costume for you?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So many people have made so many blinkered comments that it's almost unbelievable that they really are winter sports enthusiasts.... what's the matter, are we that bored with helmet discussions ? NehNeh

In defence of short lightweight planks, skiboards make great touring 'skis'. If you've got a walk in of a couple of miles, wearing ski boots to climb a steep 1,500 feet of peat and rock before you can skin up the snow, then carrying 13lbs in weight of 175 cm K2 Apache Recon skis strapped to a backpack is both noticeably more awkward and significantly heavier than my 8lb weight of 130cm Hagan boards & Fritschi bindings. But hey, I guess you all know much better and when you're climbing up to reach those lovely powdery turns on the mountains near your leafy London suburbs, you'd obviously shun anything other than your GS Rossi's just in case you meet your fashionable neighbours Wink Twisted Evil

Anyhow, I'll be using the Recons tomorrow at Glencoe but I bet even 175cm isn't manly enough for you longplank purists. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are some very narrow minded people out there, and on this thread, who think they own the snow and the mountains just because they ski or board on something over 130cm long. I have skied to a good standard for many years but because of a knee injury, I have gone onto blades (Head Big Easy 94cm) and have just bought a pair of Summit 110cm skiboards 2008/9, with release bindings.
This is my choice. I could either stop skiing, not a chance, or I can use these brilliant, well designed, highly technical short skis/blades. My snow, my mountain, my choice. I pay the same for my lift pass as you skiers and boarders do and i will go down mountains, skillfully and in control, on what ever I choose. No stupid replies necessary. Skullie
ski holidays
Scatty Ratty wrote:
No stupid replies necessary. Skullie

OK, how about a sensible one? Do you think that there are a higher proportion of people who use blades who have very poor technique, and because of their lack of control over their speed and line pose more of a danger to other piste users? That is certainly my observation of where I ski most of the time. That's not to say that everyone on short skis is a poor skier, I see a few who are clearly excellent and I'd like to think on the few occasions when I've skied on blades I do OK on them.
ski holidays
You could have a point there. I think if you can ski well and then choose to blade, you are more likely to be of a higher ability and less of a danger than someone
who bombs around on non releasable blades and is totally out of control and their depth. I do start off my holiday on skis (157cm) and then usually switch onto blades around the 3rd day when my knee is screaming in pain (old cartilidge injury and surgery). So i know i am a reasonable skier and therefore a reasonable blader. I have just bought some Summit 110cm skiboards as i do feel restricted on blades, lack of speed and stability and will be selling my Big Easy 94cm, so i do feel i am progressing even with an injury.

I hate seeing people on those solomon blades that stay on if they fall. I want to warn them about the injuries they could get, but that would ruin their fun and sense of
adventure, and basically, that is what playing on the snow is all about.
snow conditions
Scatty Ratty, I don't have a problem with blades per se but it seems to me that the majority of people on blades have made no effort to develop any technique, just rely on the fact that you can swivel them around pretty easily. That might work fine when they start out on the nursery slopes, but as soon as they get on to something steeper or icier their 'technique' is entirely inadequate and they become a menace on the slopes.
snow conditions
Not sure that you can define skiers by their cutlery, in a generalised way.

Haven't read this thread, but I used blades (in the Ski Evolutif sense) to teach people parallels quickly, just as an experiment in the 1970s. If they're used as part of the mix, they have lots of relevance.

Many many years later (probably at least 15 years later) I took out some blades in the Dolomites, where we had only run open (due to lack of snow) in early December. Found them very relevant to centering balance (fore and aft). Actually quite challenging to use properly. Very entertaining when there's very little snow available to play on.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
Not sure that you can define skiers by their cutlery, in a generalised way.

I agree. One way to define all slope users is the extent to which they are a danger to other people on the pistes. Unfortunately I see a far higher proportion of out of control people on blades than I do on any other choice of weapon.
ski holidays
You'd have to check the stats and correlations. I doubt if people on blades cause more collisions/injuries, once one has stripped inequalities in their use out of the equation.
ski holidays
I think that can be said about any snow media used. You can get boarders and skiers who have had no lessons or a couple of days and they think they are brilliant and own the mountain. They are just as much a menace when they fly around, totally out of control. I have seen many a novice wipe out other people because they cant stop, or turn properly. Alleast if they were on blades they might just put in a turn before taking someone out. What about the overweight people who do no exercise all year then put on a pair of skis and hurtle down the mountain on day one, just because they were a good skiier by day 6 of their last holiday a year ago!
latest report
David Goldsmith, Scatty Ratty, mine is not a scientific sample, but it is most certainly the case that in Les Arcs there are a far higher proportion of bladers who are out of control than any other type of slope user. I'm simply reporting what I see.
ski holidays
rob@rar, maybe the just look out of control by their very nature of spinning on a sixpence - a bit like those Rak weapons from Austria Bob or whatever his name was
latest report
rayscoops, no, I recognise out of control when I see it.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I'm afraid I agree with you and see exactly the same thing here. I have nothing against blades and own skis of 99cms, 129 and 139 myself. Unfortunately it is clearly possible for (usually groups of lads) people to take a pair of blades to the top of the mountain and actually get back down again, without any ski lessons at all, and consequently without any chance of being taught the rules of the piste. this makes these lads dangerous in the extreme - there a usually a number of them and so there's the 'testorsterone' thing going on and 10 or so large young men heading for you are quite frightening.

It is a great shame for the skiboard/blade that this is happening, because there's nothing wrong with it per se at all - just some of the users. Sad
latest report
demos wrote:
Robbof wrote:
demos wrote:
Blades are as acceptable as boards. That is to say, we all would prefer they were never invented.

FFS..... what an embarassing statement.

Ok, I will rephrase: Boards are as acceptable as boards which are manufactured post-1990. That is to say, we all would prefer they never existed.

Is this better? Blush

Just embarassing.....

Nothing else needs to be said apart from, there are plenty of threads regarding "Skiers vs Boarders" etc...you may want to get involved there Laughing

Oh and maybe open your mind a bit, there's a big world out there!!! Very Happy
latest report
Well said Robbof.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want a snow riding tool that sinks to the bottom in pow, is kicked everywhere in crud and totally unstable at even moderate speed then by all means go for it. Thankfully for anyone else, those that are misguided enough to think these are a good idea will reach terminal velocity at rather low speeds and so the collisions caused are less damaging than they would be had they chosen skis.

I had one guy go on and on at me (unprovoked) the whole lift ride up about how he would out turn me on his snowblades and how awesome they were rolling eyes
latest report
moffatross, glad to hear your still enjoying the hagans.
Scatty Ratty, you will love the summits, i had summit customs and they where fantastic.
snow conditions
narc, was that about 15 years after the 1970's, in the Dolomities in early December, while there was only one run open and not much snow around? wink
snow report
Scatty Ratty, although i always used non release bindings, prefered the feel of them. bomber elite non release, the only way to travel Very Happy
ski holidays
graeme, thanks. I bought some Scarpa Spirits to ski them (I noticed Graham Bell wore the same boots for hiking up a volcano in Chile on High Altitude a few nights ago) and that combination makes a really nice lightweight outfit. Those Hagan skiboards have been up a few Scottish hills now and have collected a little bit of base damage as a result ... I'd Ptex them if I could be bothered but the conditions I use them in are often so marginal that there's very little point.

Just in case you're missing them wink

The Hagan's on Broad Law last April ... http://www.johnbiggar.com/images/skiing/broad-law-skiing.jpg

And again on Arthur's Seat near Moffat a few months ago ... http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=4765

And at Glenshee two months before the lifts spun for 2008/2009 Smile ... http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=4319
snow report
What happened to the back of your skis?

Pocorn.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy