Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Life just seems unfair sometimes...

Poster: A snowHead
Well it is day three of my week's holiday in Meribel, which I've been looking forward to for months. After a very cloudy day yesterday with the odd near white out conditions today look spectacular and the valley is drenched in sunshine.

Not that I'm in the sunshine, I'm typing this on my own in the chalet as my other half and the five friends we are with have headed out to explore Courcheval today. I on the other hand have been struck down with the worst bug I've had for years. Just before dinner last night everything in my body turned to liquid and made a dash for the nearest emergency exit. After a very feverish night I'm feeling completely wiped out, waiting for my stomach to decide whether it is going to rebel against the small yoghurt I just ate.

It just doesn't seem fair! Fingers crossed I'll be able to get out there tomorrow, but today I'm just a spectator.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mattgcp, http://uk.youtube.com/v/1loyjm4SOa0
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mattgcp, Ah the dreaded Meribelly. Quite common in ski resorts. Hope you make it out tommorrow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mattgcp, Hope you feel better soon, fingers crossed it's a 24 hour thing. Courchevel's a dreadful place, you're not missing anything... wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like norovirus, also known as the winter vomiting bug:

Quote:

Winter vomiting disease is caused by infection with the small round structured virus (SRSV), also known as the Norwalk-like virus or norovirus.

SRSV lives in the gut and is passed from person to person by poor hygiene after using the bathroom - not washing hands properly after using the toilet and then touching toilet handles, seats, door handles and so on.

It can also be spread when someone vomits and small aerosols containing the virus enter the air.

What are the symptoms?
Only very small amounts of the virus are needed to cause illness and it's easily spread in closed communities, such as hospitals, schools and cruise ships.

The incubation period is usually between 24 and 48 hours. This is followed by severe and sudden projectile vomiting, diarrhoea and fever symptoms, which last about 48 hours.

How's it treated?
Although the infection's unpleasant, it's rarely dangerous. There's no specific treatment, but rest and drinking plenty of water are recommended.

Practising good hygiene by washing hands regularly reduces the chance of passing on the infection. People with the winter vomiting bug should stay off work while the symptoms persist and for about two days afterwards, when they're still infectious.

We had this in a chalet in Andorra in 2001, when every member of the party eventually got it. Look on the bright side - you got it first, so you'll be first to recover.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bode Swiller - lol!

Thanks Frosty. Not sure I can blame Meribel, my girlfriend was sick just before we came out here, so I may have picked it up from her. Just got off the phone to family and heard that my neice was struck down by something similar at the weekend as well, so there just seems to be a lot of sickness around at the moment.

Am very glad I picked Monday to propose to my girlfriend (at the top of the Loze lift) - romance is the last thing on my mind today!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Am very glad I picked Monday to propose to my girlfriend (at the top of the Loze lift)

Well.................?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
She said "yes, of course I will" Happy

It does sound like norovirus, which makes me rather worried for my friends
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mattgcp, congratulations Very Happy snowHead Norovirus will certainly be a nice engagement gift for her Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mattgcp, Congratulations! Very Happy snowHead

Frosty the Snowman, Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mattgcp wrote:
She said "yes, of course I will" Happy

Jolly good. Did her ring sparkle in the sunshine?

From a position of no medical knowledge, I'd keep anything except water out of your belly for 24 hrs (maybe a bit of oral rehydration if you're losing fluid).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was a bit cloudy up there to be honest but she seems very pleased with it - just wish I had got the size right!!

May try some soup for lunch, am quite hungry. Have been reading about norovirus and am now really worried about my friends - will be a miracle if they don't get it!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sure it's not the sudden onset of pre wedding jitters wink

Seriously, gratz and get well soon (and consider staying near the tree line first day back!) wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mattgcp,
Quote:

Not sure I can blame Meribel, my girlfriend was sick just before we came out here, so I may have picked it up from her

That's the spirt not yet married and already its her fault...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mattgcp, toast, rice and tea worked for me and lots of water. I lost 2 days one year with a similar bug so I know how you feel. I have never felt so ill and for the first time ever came back from a ski holiday a lot lighter than I went! Congratulations also!
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Mattgcp, congratulations Very Happy snowHead Norovirus will certainly be a nice engagement gift for her Toofy Grin

lol!

Our entire 7 man party got struck down with flu - not a vomiting bug - by the end of last years meribel trip. Wouldn't have been so bad had we not decided to drive there from London. The journey back was similar to the freindship test Cracknel and that pillock (IMHO) Ben Fogle underwent in their slog accross the Atlantic.

My advice: take some immodium and sleep!
snow report
thanks for the words of support, making me feel better already! Might head back to bed for a bit, my bedroom looks over one of the pistes so I can at least watch some skiing!
snow conditions
Mattgcp, don't be tempted to try to get back on skis until you are absolutely sure you have control over your bowels - otherwise you'll be amazed at how you can suddenly straightline any slope just to get to the loo at the bottom of it... Shock
snow report
Mattgcp,

Quote:

Am very glad I picked Monday to propose to my girlfriend (at the top of the Loze lift)

That's the same place as my husband proposed to me in 1993 (Christ, have I been married that long Puzzled )

Congratulations
snow report
if youve had an upset stomach id say avoid dairy products

water, then bread or crackers, then maybe soup....
latest report
problem with skiing is that you do it in the winter when most of the bugs are around !!!
my wife is starting with something and we are off to ADH on saturday. hope she will be over the worst of it - she is dosing herself up ! (she is a GP so gets all the bugs that are going round !)
snow conditions
@Skimummy - what a coincidence! wonder how many people have popped the question there.
@backhojo - hope you wife is ok for the trip.

All things considered it could be worse. Feeling a bit light headed every now and then but had some tomato soup and that seemed ok. Am now sitting in a big white fluffy bathrobe watching Diagnosis Murder on BBC2. Its the chalet staff's night off so a bit of a shame that I'll miss out on our one evening of eating out in Meribel, but on the plus side at least I'll be saving money. Having said that, we stopped off at the Rond Point yesterday for a quick beer, and a litre jug was 10 euros, which wasn't as cripplingly expensive as I was expecting (you just have to learn to drink slower than in the UK, which is probably no bad thing!).

Anyway, the sun is shining and I'd be feeling worse if I was sitting out with a proper injury, so can't complain too much!
snow conditions
Sorry for your troublesMattgcp, and congrats on the engagement too. Bit risky proposing so early on your holiday.... what if she said no! Shocked I think if i ever decide to propose i'll do it when im skiing (on the last day).

At least you might make out to the slopes in a day or two. A few weeks back my friend ruptured his achilles tendon on the 2nd day of our trip to Alpe D'huez and he couldn't ski again that trip Sad Good luck anyways and i hope you feel better
snow report
Mattgcp wrote:
Its the chalet staff's night off so a bit of a shame that I'll miss out on our one evening of eating out in Meribel, but on the plus side at least I'll be saving money.

So she accepted your proposal, but it appears that you are staying in tonight while she goes off with your friends????

Was the ring on sale or return? wink
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Mattgcp, http://uk.youtube.com/v/1loyjm4SOa0

Its not often it happens but ive just had one of those LOL moments!! Very Happy Excellent video... get well soon
ski holidays
Just seen the bit about the proposal.. congrats. Did the same myself in Meribel on the 6th Jan and she said yes!!! Dont know which lift it was on mind.
snow report
We had something like this in cour chalet in La Ros early Jan. Have to say some had it worse than others, I kind of took a flyer and went skiing after "loose bowels" in the morning and with tight sphincter managed to make it through the day, who says being a "tight ar**d yorkshireman" doesn't have it's advantages Very Happy
ski holidays
Well, I made it out today and felt much better. Had a wonderful days skiing under blue skies, mainly messing about in Courcheval. What a difference a day makes, am even managing a post ski beer!

Val Thorens tomorrow I think. Many thanks for the congrats and the get wells, happy skiing...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy