Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Numb Feet still - after 3 weeks skiing and many trips to boot fitter.

Poster: A snowHead
I have my own boots (Atomic - Balanze70?)which were fitted professionally in HAVANT but I still have real problems - every one else I know who has had them done here has no problems and are extremely happy with them so I think its just my odd feet!

I have had proper footbeds fitted and the outer shell and inners have been moulded and stretched. I've also had heaters fitted and altho' my feet are lovely and warm it doesn't help the numbness.

My feet go numb and then I get excrutiating throbbing pain when the feeling comes back Sad - this occurs whether skiing, walking or sitting and with the fastenings tight, loose or moderate - it has happened in every boot I've tried (except in Bulgaria when I used size 6 - but then I had minimal control of skis). I am a size 5 but have wide feet, high instep/arch and narrow ankles. Last Friday I spent another 3 hours in the shop trying to get this sorted - I tried my boots on for 20 mins my feet were numb but there were no visible pressure points. When I was skiing last year I had a red patch in the top of my instep and I assumed that meant that maybe this area of the boot needed stretching up to relieve the pressure. The bootfitter didn't think this was the case but thought that because of my slim ankle I needed my foot pushing back into the heel of the boot - to do this I have been given (for £20) some "Eliminators" (I assume the professionals know what they are but for others - they are a bit like long soft shin pads). However all the positions I tried them in I was still getting numb feet (altho' sometimes it was taking longer) - the fitter thought that once I had found the correct position and the eliminators had moulded I would be cured!

What do you think? Is there anything else I could try? Confused

Thanks in anticipation.

Zwee.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i would bet a king size mars bar that it is because your calves are inflexible. heel lifters in the boots plus LOTS of calf stretching year round will help
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you got a canting adjust, or better still a double canting adjust? If it moves the cuff up and back at the front give that a go. The front of the cuff where it hits the clog might be pressing on the tendons at the front, cutting off blood and tightening your whole lower leg up. You can then get that bit off cuff ground back a bit to get the same effect and get your cuff alignment adjusters back.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
could be many things but i'm with Arno it sounds like the calf is tight and is causing the foot to go numb, the solution is a heel lift [needs to be a large one] stretching exercises and possibly some other boot adjustments, if you have a large calf then stretching the boot backwards in the cuff will help, the other thing is the B tech boots from atomic are pretty soft for their level, it may be that you are over flexing the boot and this is causing the problem...the solution here is to have the cuff of the boot fixed in an upright position, thus allowing you to transmit pressure to the ski but not run out of available range of motion at the ankle joint
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, I'm having exactly the same problem with my new boots even after all your work. Ok, I know, I probably haven't done enough calf stretches but if I put in a heel lift, how thick should it be? A bootfitter in resort tried a bit of carpet but it had no effect.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mrsfatcontroller, probably needs 8-10mm, what was your boot again, if the B tech then we may need to put a bolt in it ...seems to be one of those boots which needs a little extra help
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, Salomon Idol.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mmm.... now you got me thinking, heel lift should definatley help a bit , maybe bending the cuff back to allow you ro stand up a little more will releive the pressure on the calf and stop the numbness

give me a call and we can set something up to get these nailed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, I have suffered from this, although (touch wood) i do a lot of stretches and it doesn't happen so much. can you explain why overstretching the claves makes your feet go numb? i know it does happen but I can't figure out why!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zwee, I had this exact problem with may last pair of boots, that were a) mouldable, b) I had the forefoot heat expanded a little (after experiencing the problem on my first trip with them) and c) had custom foot beds. After all these tweaks I still had the problem. Did not try heel lifters admitedly. I did however get a pair of custom made Strolz boots done last year and I don't suffer the problem any more. The reason (I think) for this was they they measured from my sole to the start of my calf muscle and the inners and boot were made so that they came short of that. I think therefore that my problems came from the boot liner cutting into my calf muscle (as I used to get sore calves too) - so I'm guessing that a heel lift would certainly do the job, and in my case could have saved me €550 Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shocked Shocked I'm having a moment of enlightenment. I have suffered exactly the same problems as Zwee (thank you so much for posting this) with the numb feet, high arches etc etc and have always thought I would just have to put up with it, since my trainers also give me numb feet after a while. I assumed it was linked to the high arches and blood supply cut off over the top of the foot. But I also have problems with calf tightening/cramping, and never imagined the two were linked. Strangely though the worst of the numbness is in my right foot and the worst of the calf cramping is usually in the left leg Confused

My boots were originally fitted in Courchevel and then adjusted in Havant (my experience was good there) although I can see I now need to make an appointment with CEM to try and sort it out once and for all.

If it is calf related - are there any particular stretching exercises that would help in the meantime?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.solutions4feet.com/files/U50595_stretching_exercises_complete.pdf

Its the stretch for the Gastrocnemius that you need. I had awful feet - real extreme pain within a few short hours of skiing Make my holidays a real misery. Getting my gastrocnemius stretched out allowed me to ski every day out in Banff last December with only a little discomfort when I didnt do another set of stretches during lunch time. It wouldnt hurt to try anyway..... Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cobra.., Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IDOL, one of the most aggressive forward lean boots on the market, couple this with it's low instep and it's a recipe for disaster in a limited ROM foot/leg. Has the spoiler been removed? Did the heel raiser go in before the moulding of the liner? Hmmmmmmmm Speedmachine every day, variable instep hight, adjustable coller for big calf's bootfitter's, limited ROM skiers saviour in my opinion.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the suggestions snowHead snowHead .

I'll do the stretching altho' I doubt, with only 3 days to go, that that will be enough to sort it - it can't hurt to try.

CEM By "over flexing" do you mean that my leg has to move a long way forward to push on the front of the boot - it does seem to do this.
Not sure how relevant this is but when stood normally my shin is a good finger's width from the tongue of the boot.

re: atomic B tech are pretty soft for their level "the solution here is to have the cuff of the boot fixed in an upright position, thus allowing you to transmit pressure to the ski but not run out of available range of motion at the ankle joint" - how would this be done - back at the shop or is it someyhing I can fiddle with?

Also do you the the "Eliminators" will do anything for me? - they didn't seem to do much in the shop but I know they are supposed to mould to your shin after time or should I take them back?

Thanks for all your thoughts so far.
ski holidays
the eleiminator may or may not work, but my guess is on may not, if you have a lack of available range of motion you need to reduce the net internal angle of the boot all the eliminator will do is push you into the back of the boot at the top of the calf, probably causing more cramping, heel lift first, then flair the cuff, and if required bolt to hold the cuff in a more upright position
ski holidays
CEM Thanks for all your input - as my prefered boot fitter is away now until after my holiday I will have to see if someone in Ellmau, Austria, can sort me out with heel lifts - I assume the rest of the solution looks like it will take a while so will have to wait 'til I get back. If you can recommend any one in Ellmau (a long shot I know!) that would be great. Cheers.
latest report
Zwee, afaid i don't know anyone there
snow conditions
Hmm, I suffer from this CEM, has done some fettling but the issue is still there.

after skiing for 3 days I can feel a sore point on my big toe.... CEM, has already done some stretching and fitted heel lifters.

I do have tight calf muscles, due to playing hockey on artifical surfaces.......... so was wondering how these would numb the toes? Mine actually end up completely dead after an hour or so's skiing...

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
........after skiing for 3 days I can feel a sore point on my big toe.......

still back seat skiing Greg? wink Laughing
snow report
kitenski, we could try flaring the cuff back... especially if the calf muscle is big or tigh, doing this will allow you to come up a bit in the boot without the calf levering your toes into the front of the boot.....it does wonders for thigh burn as well wink
ski holidays
Just bumping this up as have visited CEM today who spent a couple of hours fiddling with my boots, adding heel lifts, vacuum packing my feet to make new footbeds, giving advice on how to stretch my calves even more and giving me an excuse to buy my own skis (apparently can get flatter bindings). Hoping to try them out on Saturday at the Snowheads Christmas Party at Hemel.
snow conditions
i had a similar problem in my first year of skiing, numb feet and also a burning sensation on the sole.

the answer for me was a raised heel, the issue was short achiles tendons very common with football players
latest report
1969jma wrote:
i had a similar problem in my first year of skiing, numb feet and also a burning sensation on the sole.

the answer for me was a raised heel, the issue was short achiles tendons very common with football players

beleive me it is not just footballers Laughing Laughing
latest report
why do footballers have short achilles tendons? Can you lengthen (or shorten) tendons by playing (or not) any particular sport?
snow conditions
not sure the correct term is short (although it is often used) more tight ....any sport that involves running jumping, etc etc will build the calf muscles and tighten them..... the biggest problem is that people (in general) do not stretch as much as they should to make these muscles more flexible (hense the term shortening /lengthening)
snow conditions
Ah - OK, so it's essentially the muscles that are tight - so footballers or anyone else wouldn't have the problem if they did the stretches regularly to keep the muscles long. That makes sense. I do calf muscle stretches (soleus and gastrowhatsit) when I do my two minutes electric toothbrushing. 30 seconds each. wink And I've given up football.
ski holidays
This is really interesting.

I have exactly the same boots and a similar problem.

I get a numbness in my feet follwed by a burning sensation. I also play a lot of netball. I'm going to try with the muscle stretching I think Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very interesting thread. I have very wide feet, a high instep and slim ankles too, and I've always had problems getting boots to fit. Many hours have been spent at Filarinskis with them patiently doing adjustments!

My current boots are Tecnica Rivals, and it took a long time to find a pair which fit. I felt that they were pressing on the top of my feet when I first had them, and used to get numb toes even though there were no obvious pressure points. They seem to be fine now, but I had no idea calf-stretching could be the issue.

I actually do have some heel lifts for them, but I'm not sure if I should bother putting them in, as they seem OK. The moulded footbeds are the thing which has helped the most.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy