Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time boarding, helmet or no helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I'm going snowboarding for the first time. I've bought all the gear and are hiring equipment out there.

Is it worth wearing a helmet or not?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not a snowboarder but it seems to me that for the first few days of learning snowboarders hit the deck much more violently than skiers do.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, And they go over backwards more often... I'd say get a lid... icy pistes hurt.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldnt bother. As you are only beginning its highly unlikely you will be going anywhere fast. The faster you go, the bigger you tumble!
I know people break arms and pop shoulders and stuff when they are going slowly, but thats easily done. Your much more likely to hit your head if your going fast down steeper slopes, off piste, doing jumps, that sort of thing.
I didnt bother with a helmet first couple of times.
Just my personal opinion and im sure some people will say im wrong.

You will love it Cool

EDIT-- Another thought, you would be much better off with impact shorts than a helmet for your first week, cos you will be falling on your back bottom alot, and your coxxycs (sp) Puzzled will hurt!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys!

adamtheyido, thanks, I've got some wrist guards as my wrists are small and quite weak so I thought with the amount of falling I'll probably do, they may help! Again, I've heard mixed reviews on them but I think I'll feel safer with them on.

As for a helmet, I didn't really think I'd want to wear one. As you've said, I'm not going to be going fast or doing jumps (not yet anyway Smile) so not essential!

Thanks!! I can't wait, only four weeks to go!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cant hurt. Youll probably find wrist guards, knee pads and a cushion for your backside more useful in terms of preventing more everyday injuries that new boarders get.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jode_123, didnt bother when I first learnt but I always wear one now. After a few concusions you will change you mind.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jode_123, Even as an "experienced" boarder I still find it tricky on almost flat blue runs, which you'll most likely be on at some point. Catch an edge unexpectedly and . . . Wore a helmet for the first time this year and it saved me a massive whallop on one of the aforesaid. 2 weeks ago I probably would have said don't bother. Today I'd say get one if you can. Trawl your local Lidl for a cheap one!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jode_123,
In my experience, snowbaording has a much more painful learning curve than skiing (which I have done from the age of 5), but also a quicker one.
Which means that by the end of a full week, you might well be already capable of a decent speed.
You will also likely venture out of the nursery slopes, and inevitably find yourself in some situations with a bit more speed than you'd like...

Catching an edge then might mean hitting the deck with your head and while you might not hit hard enough to injure yourself even without a helmet, the said helmet will prevent the ensuing splitting headache. Good enough reason for me...

I did not have a helmet on my 1st snowbaord trip..but I did get one for the second...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the key bit is gonna be when you start to link turns and you can fall over a lot - for me i seem to go on my knees alot but my mate was always falling on his bum. Once you get this sorted you'll think you can board now and will set off up the mountain with shedloads of confidence that 'i can link turns now so that means i can board' and thats when the faster falls really start happening!!! and thats when i got a helmet - icy pistes, flat cat tracks really hurt and you can hit your head when you've got a bit more momentum!

not essential straightaway but you'll soon know if you take a few bad knocks that its time to get one!

wierdly - now i can actually board and don't fall as much with general riding - I still like wearing my helmet - toastier than a hat!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had nothing by way of protection for my first snow board trip and nearly killed myself on icy December Tignes pistes, likewise nothing for my next trip a year later and I should have known better. My third trip included padded shorts and a helmet, I ditched the helmet after a season because I washed the removable rubber lining and it shrunk Shocked - but I still use padded shorts. Wrist guards are for the limp wristed Laughing

I would suggest padded shorts and a helmet from day one
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It wouldn't do any harm but I would also vote for the impact pants. Catching a heel side rail is probably the most common fall when learning.

It can be a troubled learning curve, but what you get on the other side is so worth the grief.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jode_123 wrote:
As for a helmet, I didn't really think I'd want to wear one. As you've said, I'm not going to be going fast or doing jumps (not yet anyway Smile) so not essential!

Thanks!! I can't wait, only four weeks to go!!!

doesnt stop spastics running into you though, especially on a beginner slope where people are staring at their ski tips instead of what's around them. The majority of my big injuries have been people hitting me on my blind side, which is why I now go switch through piste crossings where I would otherwise have been blind.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jode_123, If you're planning on trying as hard as possible to learn and to put a lot of effort into it, then yes a helmet is crucial . . . but butt-pat or shorts FIRST
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jode_123, Wear as much protection as you can including a helmet. It hurts when you hit your head even when you are going slowly.
snow report
I'd buy a helmet, for all the reasons above. You don't have to be going fast to hurt your head, in fact most of my worst slams have been when going slow, or collisions which are highly likely on beginner slopes.

Beg/borrow/ebay for cheap impact shorts, wrist and knee pads. Friends who can ride will often lend you these. I never board without kneepads - haven't hit them for years (famous last words) but it's much more comfortable to rest on, I lent all mine out to learners the other week and really missed them. Mine are old skate pads and they're fine. Keep a woolly hat in a pocket for coffee/booze breaks.

it really helps take the sting out of the first few days. When I learned, I could hardly sleep for the aching from the constant wallops. All worth it in the end though!!

Also I thought my hat was way too cool not to wear, in which I was definitely proved to be wrong on reviewing the photo evidence years later
Very Happy

edit - heheh great minds!
Also, I have lost count of the amount of times the following conversation has taken place on a holiday

Learner: No thanks, I don't want a helmet
Me: You sure? We've got some spares.
Learner: Nah I'm only going slow.

Day 2
Learner: I think I might try that helmet today....
latest report
Quote:

I wouldnt bother. As you are only beginning its highly unlikely you will be going anywhere fast. The faster you go, the bigger you tumble!
I know people break arms and pop shoulders and stuff when they are going slowly, but thats easily done. Your much more likely to hit your head if your going fast down steeper slopes, off piste, doing jumps, that sort of thing.

I've been boarding now since '94 and seen lots of head injuries while people were going slow on boards. When the edge of a board "catches" it throws you no matter how slow you are going. Forward falls result in broken ribs, arms and wrists. Backward falls almost ALWAYS result in your head getting banged. If you want an example my daughter was in Breckenridge two years ago and as her friend was getting off a chair lift her board slid away and she slipped backwards banging her head on the ground. That slow motion accident ended her friends holiday. Concussion and a fractured skull. To say you have to be going fast on steep slopes to hit your head is like saying you will never slip on ice unless you are running

I ALWAYS wear a helmet cos I know my head can get hurt whenever and wherever I snowboard
snow conditions
I didnt say that. I said your more likely.
rolling eyes I also said its just my opinion
snow conditions
I'd get one - someone above mentions when you start to link turns - that could quite easily be on your first day (depending on the quality of your instruction and your natural abilities!) - good that you have wrist protectors too, but worth practicing the fall to the side with arms crossed over your chest - try to do it a few times til it becomes automatic - that way your wrists will be safe in case one day you forget your protectors!

But, yeah, get a lid - in my opinion don't let it be one that covers your ears - mine did and it affected my balance, so I cut the ear bits off with a stanley knife!
snow report
flying planet wrote:
Quote:

I've been boarding now since '94 and seen lots of head injuries while people were going slow on boards. When the edge of a board "catches" it throws you no matter how slow you are going. Forward falls result in broken ribs, arms and wrists. Backward falls almost ALWAYS result in your head getting banged. If you want an example my daughter was in Breckenridge two years ago and as her friend was getting off a chair lift her board slid away and she slipped backwards banging her head on the ground. That slow motion accident ended her friends holiday. Concussion and a fractured skull. To say you have to be going fast on steep slopes to hit your head is like saying you will never slip on ice unless you are running

I ALWAYS wear a helmet cos I know my head can get hurt whenever and wherever I snowboard

board slid away and she slipped backwards banging her head on the ground!
It happened to me,was`nt going very fast

The above says it all if you ask me.
Anybody no matter what ability,should never not! wear a lid.

See who looks cool when when the poo-poo hits the fan(snowboarders last words) watch this!
latest report
Quote:

Yes, I think you're wrong too. The biggest smack I've ever had on my head (skiing, boarding, or anything else) was on my first morning at Milton Keynes, when I was almost standing still. Catch a back edge and catapult down the hill onto the back of your head. Yes, was wearing helmet - got very sore neck (and everything else) but stayed in one piece. It can also save you a mighty bash if (or rather when) you fall off a chair lift and don't get out of the way quick enough before the beginner skier on the next chair skis into your head.
snow conditions
Helmet, definitely. IMO there is no benefit to not wearing one for all the sensible reasons mentioned above.

pam w, I agree you, slow heel edge falls are deadly.
snow report
I am an experienced and advanced boarder and have worn a helmet for hte last couple of seasons. Absolutely ZERO complaints, doesn't stop any movement and without exageration it has saved me from having a cracked skull and even worse on more than one occasion. I just got a Saolomon one with IPod connection of which the music comes out of hte ear flaps, a nice touch when on long lifts etc.

Get one, there are no negatives to riding with one!
snow report
I've ridden since '00 and worn a helmet since my second outing after a friend got whacked hard on piste and got a concussion which ruled him out for the rest of the trip. The guy who hit him had to be lifted from the mountain. Medic said that if they'd both been wearing lids then they'd have walked away. I'm on my second helmet now since i wreaked my first one in an embarrasing incident on an scoured mogul field in Davos at literally zero speed. Head plant onto solid ice left a dent the size of an orange in the helmet and not my skull. Skullie

Landing even a minor concussion will rule you out of any activity that you get you another one for about 6 weeks so get a lid, cost of one is nothing compared to writing off the cost of your trip or worse. Hope you enjoy your first outing tho Jode. Stay safe out there Very Happy
latest report
Have been boarding 3 years and just bought a helmet 3 weeks ago. I won't be riding without it again after giving it a major field test last weekend - a stiff neck for a couple of days is way better than getting knocked out from some piste-side tomfoolery I tried to pull off. Echoing what other people have said, most of my falls don't come when I'm going particularly fast, but usually when I'm trying something new or riding switch or something like that.

Also, I've found (as have some boarding buddies) that wearing a lid gives a bit of extra confidence to try the new technique, ride a bit faster/harder etc. Worth having it for this alone, perhaps.

stab also makes a valid point: most oopsies are caused by some other idiot, and you can't control all the idiots all of the time. Think of it as insurance against that sk**r who is learning the hard way that snowploughing down a red run won't stop them in time before they hit that snowboarder (i.e. you).

Final thought: who cares if you don't look cool? No-one looks good in hospital, so you might as well try to stay out of A&E and on the piste where you belong Cool
latest report
Helmet!....

I wear a variety of different safety gear... It all depends how busy the pistes are around me....
When learning you are on your back bottom, front or back a lot... there is always a chance of someone hitting you when in this rather precarious position!!
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
It wouldn't do any harm but I would also vote for the impact pants.

I'd wholeheartedly support that.

A bruised back bottom is waaaaaaay more likely than a serious head injury.
snow report
I saw someone fall and the person behind (moving very slowly) grazed their head with her skis... leaving a 2 inch scratch right across his lid. Would have been stitches without. These situations seem more likely during the first few weeks.

And another vote for the shorts... I'm a skier and I've now bought a pair for the park Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fall on a blue run followed by three days in hospital with concussion (been there done that) or wear a helmet? No contest for me now. Also bumped the back of the head after a heal side fall several times, wearing the helmet means you get up and board again.

Saw someone fall on piste while skiing in Alpe d'Huez, the resulting slide took them into a rock and their helmet saved their head. I also wear my helmet while skiing now as well.

Give it a few years and most will be wearing one IMHO
ski holidays
In Ontario more people are wearing them than not, I reckon. I don't feel out of place wearing one, certainly.
ski holidays
Jode_123, i've just got back from an amazing hols in tignes. someone in the group i went with crashed straight into me on day 4 - it was a full-face headbutt. we were going fast as the group we were with are intermediate snowboarders, who, except for the tard, can all ride in control. if i wasn't wearing my helmet, i'd not be typing this now.

seeing as you're a beginner, you're not likely to be riding at the same speeds. or riding with an moron who tried to take out atleast four other people in the group. but get a helmet in any case, for those encounters with the idiots on the slopes.
snow conditions
If you want to increase the chances of you riding next season - I would say wear one -its a no brainer Toofy Grin
snow report
Have you seen this ??? http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/helmet

This is their conclusion:-
So, to conclude, helmets are a good idea and will protect you against many of the common injuries that the head is susceptible too. They are especially important for children, who are at highest risk of snow sport injury. In addition, there is no evidence to date that helmets predispose the wearer to a higher risk of neck injury or cause injury to others. However, it must be remembered that wearing a helmet will not protect you if you have a high speed impact - so go careful, especially if there are trees near the pistes you're on.

Personally, I do not ride with a helmet but I was thinking I should get one. However, I always wear impact shorts and knee pads and have gloves with wrist protectors.

J.
latest report
To add to what I've said before, my largest accident (involving serious concussion) was while wearing a helmet - who knows what state I'd have been in if I wasn't wearing it.

Having said that, I only went for the size of jump I went for because I had the helmet on, so you can fall into a false sense of security wearing one.

If you're a beginner its a no brainer, even experienced boarders will occasionally catch an edge, while most of the time they can compensate for it, on the times where you don't lead to a catapult onto the ground.

Just ensure you're comfortable wearing whichever one you choose, that it fits properly and that you aren't inhibited in any way with it - I had balance issues wearing my 'red' helment and therefore had to modify it!
snow conditions
Hey all, I've bought a helmet!!! Thanks to you all, you've convinced me. I went shopping at the weekend to find one and I have to say I look rather fetching in my funky purple and white Roxy helmet Cool

Thanks guys!
snow report
Jode_123, good for you ! After the 1st wearing it will seem so normal to wear one.
I love this seasons Roxy helmets but as I already have 2 R.E.D. ones I have no excuse to buy a 3rd Embarassed
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow,

Since when do we need excuses to buy gear? Toofy Grin
snow report
Kruisler, ssssh ! I bought ANOTHER pair of boarding pants on friday Laughing although they were a bargain - paid £36 instead of £195
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, how many pairs do you now have ?
snow conditions
Well you did have an excuse ...b'day girl! wink

Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy