Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Puy St Vincent

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, has anyone been to Puy St Vincent and had anyone
done the journey by car??, Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't skied it, but have driven many times to Serre Chevalier,just up the road, and have visited PSV once in summer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How long did it take you from Uk, and what it the journey like, I just dont travel well and
Im a bit worried about the mountain roads. Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
LoveRossi, we drive from Durham in the North-East, so always have an overnight stop. I suppose the total driving time us about 15 hours, over 2 days. It is about 10.5 hours from Calais, and is all autoroute as far as Oulx if you use the Frejus tunnel. The final part of the journey is then on mountain roads, with some hairpins over the Col du Montgenevre, then on to PSV from Briancon. You can also go via the Col du Lauteret.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great! thanks Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
By the way, can you remember where you stopped?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Done the trip many times by car to Puy. Much prefer it to airports.
We usually bomb it from Calais to Genoble in one bash staying at the souless but cheap Novotel (4 to a family room) just off the motorway just before Grenoble. About 10 hours from Calais.

Genoble to Puy is about 3 hours.

There is a windy road over the pass around 2000m high just after La Grave of which the road is often snow covered.

Nice windy climb to Puy itself - especially if you take the first turning to Puy just after Briancon the road is very narrow and steep.

For a small resort, Puy is great and if you have a car you can have days out in one of 5 other resorts
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very narrow and steep!! Shocked How long is this part approx time please!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PS, What is the best way to get directions? Sat Nav, Google, or other web sites?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
LoveRossi, we usually stop around Reims in Champagne area, as we have 5 hour journey to the Eurotunnel in the Uk. See http://serrechevalierapartment.co.uk/getting-there/ for details of some of the hotels we have stayed in. I used to use www.viamichelin.com for directions, but Sat Nav is OK, howerver, be careful, as some try to send you over closed mountain passes (check your route on here first). We;ve done the trip so often now, we don't need directions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LoveRossi, Ive been loads of times to Puy.
Its a great little resort.You will love it.
Most of the journey is fine only the last 15 minutes as you wind your way up to Puy is uncomfortable if you get travel sickness,but this is no worse than most resorts.
Are you DIY or going with www.snowbizz.co.uk.
If you need any hints or tips re skiing or restaurants just ask or PM me using the Send/Read Messages link at the top of the page.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LoveRossi wrote:
Very narrow and steep!! Shocked How long is this part approx time please!

Dont worry just stick to the obvious main road route and it is very wide and well surfaced up to PSV. From Briancon it must be 45 minutes or so.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for replies!! Its pathetic really I know, I will happily ski off a mountain
with no fear, but driving up them just scares the hell out of me, Dosent help
as I know other half will be saying (wow look down there ) yeah great!!.
Reasurring messages though, thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LoveRossi, Had a day trip over there from Serre Che a couple of years ago and had a lovely day. It was late season and a bit porridgy lower down, but otherwise the scenery and the runs were good and challenging for a solid intermediate like me.

Quote:

There is a windy road over the pass around 2000m high just after La Grave of which the road is often snow covered.

That's the Lauteret - it isn't as bad as it sounds...I plan to have my ashes scattered there, it is just so spectacularly beautiful.

Just remembered we made it up to PSV from Serre Che in a Citroen C1 so it can't be that bad! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry to hijack your forum Rossi.....But was wanting info on links to PSV from Serre Che myself as the lift pass allows a days ski in another resort...a. can you ski over? or b. Does any cheap local busses link the resorts? or c. If we drive how difficult is the "Windy Road" in bad weather...are chains essential as there appear to be good tree runs for a bad weather day outing? d. Rough cost of a taxi from Briancon or Chantemerle each way (group of five going out on 28 Feb) NehNeh

Many thanks & once again ta....PS hope you enjoy the journey...will be worth it when u get there..... snowHead
snow conditions
SCOUSE, Serre Che has many more tree runs than Puy. The windy road is ok and is cleared often. You cannot ski over. Dunno about cost of taxi but would gurss at 40-50e each way.
snow conditions
I've been to Puy loads and am going again in a few weeks time. It's a great resort and we love it there. I've never driven since we go with snowbizz so can't help with that one. When are you going?
ski holidays
johnnyn

Havent booked yet but looking to go 1st week of March, Snowbizz were recommended by 2 friends who have been before.
I ski but partner and 3 kids age 7,6 and 3 are all 1st timers.
Snowbizz looks great and they meet all of our requirments perfectly, just couldnt persuade other half to fly, he wants to drive!!!
When are you going to Puy?
ski holidays
We're having to go at half term since oldest is year 6 so SATS loom and also mrs johnnyh is now a teacher so no term time trips for us.

It really is a great place, I think this is our 5th time - Snowbizz are fantastic too. The price at half term is pretty crippling but we've benefited in the past from out of school holiday trips so I figure we'll take this one on the chin. 1st timers will love it as it's pretty much perfect to learn there. Children are especially well catered for as all the runs return to the resort so the chances of getting lost are pretty minimal.

Driving means you could go to other resorts but if you're in the Snowbizz ski school I'm not sure I'd bother on the first trip. I've skied for quite a few years and in many places and although PSV isn't huge by any stretch of the imagination, I love it because it is so easy and everything feels so friendly and familiar. I'm quite happy doing my own thing for a few hours while the children do ski school - then we all go and play together.

Petit Chamois is great, the people are all nice, it feels very French to me - I practice my o-level standard french and get by and feel pleased with myself for trying. aAl in all it's a great place for a holiday. The bigger French resorts offer different things to Puy, but if you want something which caters for a young family the Puy/Snowbizz combination does really work. Lots of people are regulars, and I think that says a lot. If you're looking for the PDS, or 3valleys type of skiing for yourself you may be a little under-challenged, but as I've said, the rewards of getting the children on snow in a safe, secure, fun environment out weighs the idea that a good ski resort has miles and miles of pistes and perhaps little else.

Have a good time!
latest report
We are going to Puy in March for the first time with our 18 month old daughter, i am quite nervous about it as I have never left her in a creche before. Has anyone used the creche and how did they find it? really looking forward to it, the good reviews on here make me feel alot better about it. What sort of things will we be able to do with our little one, I am assuming we can go sledging and stuff? I also understand there is a local leisure centre?
snow report
Sparkygirl, I think the pool and leisure centre are down the valley in Argentiere le bessé
snow conditions
Sparkygirl
When are you off to Puy? We are arriving on the 8th March.
Are you going with Snowbizz?
snow report
LoveRossi,

We go on the 15th, and are going with Snowbizz. They seem to have a good reputation and they were always so helpful when i called. I am nervous about leaving our little one in the creche as she has never been in one before. Really looking forward to it.

Very Happy
snow report
Thanks for comments...I am going to Serre Che (Chantemerle) on the 28th Feb with the lads (got a pass out from mrs Scouse coz its me 40th & mrs Scouse not really a skier).....I am interested in the comments about Snowbizz at Puy and wanted to do a recce as I will be hopefully introducing the eldest daughter to the slopes soon.

Can I pick your brains on a few things if possible......At what age would be best to introduce a basic ski school where the nipper will gain a bit of confidence and learn a bit? (she is 3 1/2 now)....& also is there enough for mrs Scouse to do in the resort if she does not want to ski all day?

PS save some powder for me NehNeh
snow report
Sparkygirl, dont worry we have been 5 times with Snowbizz most recently at New Yr.Kieran(resort rep) is a nice guy and the girl who is the head of creche this year was with them last year so has plenty of experience.You really have nothing to worry about they will look after her and make it fun.Have a great time Very Happy
snow conditions
SCOUSE,

This is our first time skiing with the kids, Snowbizz were recommended to us by 2 families we know, who have been before with
young kids. I have done quite a bit of research before booking and Snowbizz looks perfect for us and meets all our requirements.
Our youngest is 3 1/2, he will go to Toton Ski School, from 9am to 1pm with 1 hour of ski school, 5 kids per instructor and 1 nanny out
with them. Very Happy ( they seem pretty flexible so can drop off later and collect earlier if you want)
I have looked on lots of forums and I haven't read a single negative comment about Puy or Snowbizz!
We are off on 8th March! I will post report on our return. NehNeh
latest report
We went over to Puy in early March 2006 over past Montgenevre, we were unlucky (or lucky) that nearly a metre of snow fell the night we drove. We got to Montgenevre later than expected and had to put our snow chains on in the dark. Having never put them on before it was an absolute nightmare. Then when we finally got to Puy they weren't letting anyone up the mountain it was so treachurous, so just be warned, leave plenty of time and aim to arrive in daylight. Plus practice putting snow chains on if you're never done it before.

We too are driving down to the Alps for the week of the 8th March, this time to La Toussuire, which isn't quite as far, but we're making sure we stay overnight and head up the mountain first thing in the morning so we avoid nightime mountain driving!

Have fun, Puy was lovely, one of my favourite resorts, we'll be back at some point.

Liz Smile
snow conditions
Liz09

Thanks for advice, we do plan on a stopover, and will leave early morning, to get to resort hopefully lunchtime, so any
delays will mean still arrviving at a sensible time.
Thanks to the wonderfull snow this week and living in a village in Surrey, we have been able to practise putting on and actually
use the snow chains!!
Have a fab holiday! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just under 2 m of snow at the end of last week fantastic !!!!
latest report
Oh Wow, I can't wait another 4 weeks!!!!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
LoveRossi whereabouts in PSV are you going to stay ?
snow report
Wheely

We are going with Snowbizz so staying in the Mona Lisa Residence.
How about you?
latest report
Have my own place at the Parc Aux Etolies at 1800m. You'll love it across here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy