Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on this softshell jacket please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for looking at my question.

I'm currently looking around for a new jacket because I find my current jacket is too hot. I've only skied twice (for 2 weeks) so I do exert alot of energy when I'm trying to ski Very Happy

I'd like to try a softshell jacket because I think the breathability would suit my level of physical intensity. I'm not too worried about the waterproofness because it is not likely that I would attempt to ski in rainy conditions or for me to be going off piste (voluntarily Toofy Grin ).

Unfortunately the Arc'teryx series and the TNF Freethinker jackets are way too expensive to be able to justify for 1-2 weeks of skiing each year.

I was able to find this jacket:
http://www.dare2b.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_12551_-1_17280_55865_11551_16708

it's not gore-tex softshell, but it says it does have isotex softshell.

Any thoughts on this as a outter layer, to be worn above a micro-fleece and a wicking base layer in conditions which a newbie would be skiing in? (I think the coldest I got this year was -16 at valley station and -3 at the top of the gondola)

Many thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here we go again. Twisted Evil

Welcome to Snowheads. You'll probably get a thousand opinons but as for mine I think you should go for it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i skied in courchevel early Jan in TNF apex soft shell - was fine. Underneath i wore a icebreaker longsleeve and a cheap microfleece. for the conditions we had it worked really well - cold, -10 at times, but sunny and no wind. Only slight downside was lack of pockets so i took a small camelbak - (which does indeed freeze if you forget to empty the tube after each suck!) but carried all the necessary bits. just make sure your soft shell is windproof and i think its fine for good conditions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For me......most Softshells are heavier and warmer than hardshells...

You can check the weights on the tech spec but the info/link doesn't tell you that...

FWIW... I don't think THIS is a suitable mountain jacket..more like a spring skiing jacket for bluebird days only..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even in pretty cold conditions I generally ski in a long sleeve thermal layer with a hard shell on top. If you are quite active then it is very easy to overheat.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT wrote:
For me......most Softshells are heavier and warmer than hardshells...

You can check the weights on the tech spec but the info/link doesn't tell you that...

FWIW... I don't think THIS is a suitable mountain jacket..more like a spring skiing jacket for bluebird days only..

Seconded,

The biggest problem you will have with a softshell is that the majority of "cheaper" onces are not windproof - something you need when on the slopes.

What are you skiing in at the moment?

Another solution might be to alter the mid/base layers you are currently using .. You could go with a thinner base layer and more flexible mid layer and keep the jacket you have now or go hardshell keeping the baselayers the same.

If you are looking for a well priced and Good Quality jacket - i dont think you could go wrong by looking here:

http://www.keela.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65

Ultimately it depends upon how much you want to spend there are plenty of better quality soft and hardshells out there for not much more money that will be more appropriate for what you require.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As the very happy user of one of the Keela jackets flogged by admin I am impressed by the brand's quality.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all your help. I'll take everyone's opinion onboard. I suspected there was more to it than a difference in branding between the £400 Arc'teryx and my £35 version wink but I just had to ask.

In reply, I am in a £40 Tresspass hardshell. I think they make jackets in various amounts of insulation but I must have got the super deluxe duvet edition. As a newbie I just went for the highest waterproof number at the lowest price. Embarassed Now I'm paying the price because I have to ski permanently with both pit vents open and my front zip down to half way. I got uncomfortably hot wearing this jacket and a long sleeve top in Stanstead airport in jan rolling eyes

I use a long sleeve football shirt as base layer and i have a thin microfleece from Decathlon, hence I'm thinking i have no choice but to change my jacket.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
streaky wrote:
......In reply, I am in a £40 Tresspass hardshell. I think they make jackets in various amounts of insulation but I must have got the super deluxe duvet edition........

streaky, what you have is a conventional jacket, not a hardshell. A hardshell does not have any insulation whatsoever, it's simply a waterproof breathable membrane that relies on layering underneath for warm.

Ditch the football shirt as a base layer & get Decathlon's long sleeve wicking base layer (approx £10) which are exellent & wear that under your jacket without your microfleece.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You don't need to spend a fortune, but in the long run it really is better to buy a quality jacket in the sales. It doesn't have to be a softshell, any decent jacket will breath well enough. A good wicking base layer makes a huge difference too.

This would be super light and breathable for £70

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=218049&transid=&SQLCodeLink=AND~~(prod_cats.category~=~'Mountain~Clothing~-~Men\'s'~and~prod_cats.prod_code~=~product.prod_code)~AND~PROD_MAN~=~'Marmot'~AND~PROD_SPECIAL_FLAG~=~'0'~AND~PROD_NODISP~!=~1,pageLimit=0&mode=user&config=&rowsFound=11&srchType=

And this is a stunning Goretex Proshell jacket for £150 (got one of these myself and it's as good as jackets get)

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=218046&transid=&SQLCodeLink=AND~~(prod_cats.category~=~'Mountain~Clothing~-~Men\'s'~and~prod_cats.prod_code~=~product.prod_code)~AND~PROD_MAN~=~'Marmot'~AND~PROD_SPECIAL_FLAG~=~'0'~AND~PROD_NODISP~!=~1,pageLimit=0&mode=user&config=&rowsFound=11&srchType=

Both the above are shell jackets, providing full waterproof and windproof protection but no insulation. Combined with base and mid layers they can be used in almost any conditions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If it's not snowing and it's not too bleedin' freezing, I always ski in my soft shell combined with a base layer and micro fleece (if necessry). My the pockets on my soft shell double up as pit vents too when I get too hot.

Cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy